So I just got Laid Off Today....

Don't waste any time. File for unemployment right away. Try to get a quick job or 2 off the books within the next week or 2 and stack up. If you're in a field where you have the ability to freelance start making contacts and booking gigs now.
Sorry to hear the bad news OP, but use it as a motivation. Get a better non-corporate job at a chill, creative environment with young, hip people. You'll be happy at work all the time and won't have to worry about backstabbing/office politics.

Don't waste any time. File for unemployment right away. Try to get a quick job or 2 off the books within the next week or 2 and stack up. If you're in a field where you have the ability to freelance start making contacts and booking gigs now.
Sorry to hear the bad news OP, but use it as a motivation. Get a better non-corporate job at a chill, creative environment with young, hip people. You'll be happy at work all the time and won't have to worry about backstabbing/office politics.

Yeah, just started looking into filing for unemployment. Hope to land a job within a month or so (realistically). I'm getting a flashback of the whole interviewing process from when I graduated :rolleyes frustrating to say the least.

Wouldn't mind trying out a startup or a smaller company. Really hate the bureaucracy at large firms.

Yeah, just started looking into filing for unemployment. Hope to land a job within a month or so (realistically). I'm getting a flashback of the whole interviewing process from when I graduated :rolleyes frustrating to say the least.

Wouldn't mind trying out a startup or a smaller company. Really hate the bureaucracy at large firms.

Start ups has it's pros and cons. The biggest con is not being in businss for the long hall and knowing you'd have to get a job again after all of it. Also start ups abuse the whole temp system and would just get use out of temp employees without having to give them benefits. It's a dice game I guess cause large companies are no better but at least when they hire, you can somewhat feel like you are at least going to be with them for 5 years or so.

If you felt burned out, they just did you a favor. Take a trip for a week and decompress. Come back refreshed and start a search for new gig.

I have never been laid off, but I was fired from CTA. Things had been terrible for over a year, but I just figured they would get better and never looked elsewhere. I remember that afternoon my co-workers were let off early. My boss, who I had the big problem with, called me into a meeting. As soon as I saw her friend from HR, I knew what was up. Good thing I drove that day to carry things home. I got drunk and high as hell that night and collected unemployment for the next year.

Life goes on, just keep moving with it.

If you felt burned out, they just did you a favor. Take a trip for a week and decompress. Come back refreshed and start a search for new gig.

I have never been laid off, but I was fired from CTA. Things had been terrible for over a year, but I just figured they would get better and never looked elsewhere. I remember that afternoon my co-workers were let off early. My boss, who I had the big problem with, called me into a meeting. As soon as I saw her friend from HR, I knew what was up. Good thing I drove that day to carry things home. I got drunk and high as hell that night and collected unemployment for the next year.

Life goes on, just keep moving with it.

Luckily have a trip lined up later this month, so I'm looking forward to that. How much of a percentage did you get from unemployment?

Good luck OP.

The company I'm currently working for is headed in that direction. They're not saying it but the vibe around here just feels like it.
I don't work in the gaming world but Zynga did a similar huge layoff not to long ago. I know so many people that worked there and even some that moved to NYC to work and live there. I always knew Zynga would die down and it did and tons of people were affected. Just sucks how companies that don't know how to manage themselves only effect the workers and not the people who run it.
I knew a couple of my old coworkers who were part of the layoffs too. Sucks what happened to the company but it happens

apply for unemployment.. and save those pay checks.. and keep looking for a new job.. what i'm really saying is to enjoy the summer.. 

Man even with all that your going through right now your still in a great position in life.

your still getting paid, it was most likely just your position getting cut, you got your health. Your good homie only thing you have to worry about is complacency.

I say refine your resume, send it out and take a little vaca somewhere local, to refresh yourself.

Your gravy son.

Man even with all that your going through right now your still in a great position in life.

your still getting paid, it was most likely just your position getting cut, you got your health. Your good homie only thing you have to worry about is complacency.

I say refine your resume, send it out and take a little vaca somewhere local, to refresh yourself.

Your gravy son.

Interesting thing is, the job led me to a less active lifestyle. I'm def going to use this time to hit the gym and improve my overall health.

I think you're right about complacency. Over time I def understood that enjoying what you do is a lot more important than how much money you make.

Just make sure you start looking ASAP fam.

Don't wanna get close to that 10th week and realize you haven't really applied anywhere else.

Keep your head up. My pops knew his was position was getting cut at a local private college about a year ago, applied and found a new job before they could even go through with it.

Semi know that feel. Co-workers were trying to get me fired and in a strange turn of events we all got laid off. :D

Enjoy the few days off and then get back out there applying to jobs. Don't take too much time take just enough though.

Best of luck man!

Congrats! You are free for a good while now. What'd you say, get paid till the end of the month AND AND AND 10 weeks of severance? That's not too shabby. Even after the severance runs out you could get on unemployment!

It would help if you posted a few details about your industry, location, or what you want to do? Personally, what I would do is hop on LinkedIn and message all my contacts that I'm looking for a new position and to hook me up in their company.

Better yet, what I would do is look at the companies they work at. For example, a friend of mine from college works at Google. I'd go to Google Careers and look at open positions that are related to what my experience, and degree is in. Then I'd message my friend and ask what the best way to submit a resume is. Usually, people that are your friends are great about this and will turn in your resume to a hiring manager. This is how people get interviews/new jobs nowadays. Just my advice.

Alternatively, you can try to find recruiters that are on LinkedIn and other sites and let them know you are going to be available soon. For me (accounting), a great resource is RobertHalf AccountTemps. This way I don't have to do a job search. They'll match my skills up with companies that want someone like me. We'll both try each other out, get paid in the process, and if everything goes well usually a job offer is extended.

Also, maybe most importantly, you need to get letters of reference from your current employer. Don't be shy. You only have till the end of the month. Check out samples online, go talk to them, and usually they will help you out. It's best if you basically show them an exact template of what you want. People are pretty scrub scrub at writing, or remembering why you are awesome.

Enjoy your freedom. You have a light at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't happen often in your life. If all else fails...come to teach in South Korea (2k a month + free housing) or teach in Saudia Arabia (5k+ a month). I've been teaching in South Korea for the past three years and life outside the US is great. I will be going back..but with perspective and the right attitude for the rat race.

Last edited:
Congrats! You are free for a good while now. What'd you say, get paid till the end of the month AND AND AND 10 weeks of severance? That's not too shabby. Even after the severance runs out you could get on unemployment!

It would help if you posted a few details about your industry, location, or what you want to do? Personally, what I would do is hop on LinkedIn and message all my contacts that I'm looking for a new position and to hook me up in their company.

Better yet, what I would do is look at the companies they work at. For example, a friend of mine from college works at Google. I'd go to Google Careers and look at open positions that are related to what my experience, and degree is in. Then I'd message my friend and ask what the best way to submit a resume is. Usually, people that are your friends are great about this and will turn in your resume to a hiring manager. This is how people get interviews/new jobs nowadays. Just my advice.

Alternatively, you can try to find recruiters that are on LinkedIn and other sites and let them know you are going to be available soon. For me (accounting), a great resource is RobertHalf AccountTemps. This way I don't have to do a job search. They'll match my skills up with companies that want someone like me. We'll both try each other out, get paid in the process, and if everything goes well usually a job offer is extended.

Also, maybe most importantly, you need to get letters of reference from your current employer. Don't be shy. You only have till the end of the month. Check out samples online, go talk to them, and usually they will help you out. It's best if you basically show them an exact template of what you want. People are pretty scrub scrub at writing, or remembering why you are awesome.

Enjoy your freedom. You have a light at the end of the tunnel. It doesn't happen often in your life. If all else fails...come to teach in South Korea (2k a month + free housing) or teach in Saudia Arabia (5k+ a month). I've been teaching in South Korea for the past three years and life outside the US is great. I will be going back..but with perspective and the right attitude for the rat race.

Appreciate all the good advice.

I work for a Financial Services Company in the mid atlantic. Looking to stay in industry but make a move to a more specific position.

Def going to use LinkedIn as a resource since I've gotten good call backs from it. Also was thinking of using a headhunter possibly.

In terms of a letter of reference, that may be difficult due to "legal" matters apparently that the company has.

Going to use the time to enjoy my freedom and get back in shape. Teaching in Korea sounds interesting, but I'm thinking about Grad School as more of a priority in the next year or 2.

laugh.gif
Def gonna hit a few breezys up on that sympathy steeze
Yeah, I hope they would, but not sure if they are allowed to give Recs out (Legal reasons). I DEF want to venture into something different. Similiar, but different. I actually planned out a vacay at the end of the month for Toronto/Chicago so I'm def looking forward to that.

I wonder if I should take a few weeks or if I should just start applying right away. Not sure what gaps of employments look like to prospective employers.
Apply for as many jobs ASAP, take a week vacation to DR, then come back ready to work bro. God bless you,

thought the title initally said "So I Just Got Laid Today"  and i was going to give you a :pimp: and ask for pics

but after further reading i noticed it said laid off.

Keep your head up,use that severance pay and chill out for a week or so, then start looking for new work.   You can get unemployment also which means you don't have to jump on the very next job you see since you have those unemployment checks to fall back on as well.   take your time and find a decent new job.

when i got fired, I immdiately took a trip to Florida to unwind and jumped back on the trail. life was good for a bit. You need to clear your head and hit the pavement running. use your severe and unemployment to fund your life but make sure to save. Good luck bro

Its happening all over. My mother said they started laying off people at the hospital :frown:

Back
Top Bottom