So now Carmelo Anthony isn't top 5 in the league?

Somebody please explain to me how Durant and Kobe at this point of his career are better than Melo. I'm probably the biggest Maverick supporter on this board that's not a "fan" and NOBODY was pushing that Dirk is top 5 $#@! before the playoff run. Don't sit here and tell me he's not top 5 cause he's just a scorer and a poor defender and have Durant #2 or #3

Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Real talk...this season and the following are his chance to prove his greatness.

Physically and on a skill level, he's as good as anyone in the league right now.

I wouldn't put him in the top 5 at this moment but he has the ability to be #1 if he consistently played up to his talent level.

This is his 9th year in the league. At some point you are who you are.
People were saying the same thing about MJ during his first 5/6 years...he's a great scorer but can he get past the Piston and the old guard? Can he make his teammates better?
People are saying the same thing about LeBron now...you going to tell me that Bron can't use his disappointing Finals performance as fuel and come back scorching hot to take his place as an all time great?

Kobe and Shaq kept consistently falling short of their potential before Phil...what if he never went to LA? Phil left, people went right back to questioning Kobe's mentality and ability. If the Zen Master didn't make an encore in LA, people would probably still be calling Kobe a chuck that needed Shaq to win.

Before Freddy Roach, Pacquiao was widely classified as a one dimensional slugger, no where near the elite P4P rankings...What about now?

In this sensationalist modern sports culture people rush to judgement too quick. Thirsty to label, rank and neatly package an athletes career into anE60 story...but that doesn't really do justice to reality.

Circumstances and experiences make people (and athletes) who they are

Melo's back in his birthplace, with a happy young family, he has the coach he wanted, an All-star front line, he's playing in the "mecca of ball", with a fat contract..only thing missing in the hardware. He knows all eyes are on him, this is his time to shine. Lets see what he does. We can't forget this is the dude who arguably had the best Freshman year in NCAA basketball history. 

We forgetting that he lead the Nuggets to the 2 spot in the stacked Western Conference 3 seasons ago and that 2 seasons ago the Nuggets were looking like serious Championship contenders before George Karl had to leave the bench for cancer treatment? 

Denver's been a blackhole for basketball for a long time...he changed that culture...lets see what he can do with some time and weapons in New York.

Then we can properly assess him.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

What's up with all of these emo Knicks fans?

laugh.gif
how long you been here man?

Originally Posted by University of Nike

LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade
Chris Paul
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Durant
Derrick Rose
Kobe Bryant

This (Random Order BTW). I'd take D-Will over CP3 anyday though.

Top 5? No

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

Somebody please explain to me how Durant and Kobe at this point of his career are better than Melo. I'm probably the biggest Maverick supporter on this board that's not a "fan" and NOBODY was pushing that Dirk is top 5 $#@! before the playoff run. Don't sit here and tell me he's not top 5 cause he's just a scorer and a poor defender and have Durant #2 or #3
grin.gif
 not gonna get into this argument even though i heavly disagree but even if u take out those three (Durant, Kobe, Dirk who imo are all still better) you still agree that hes 6th behind Lebron, Dwight, Wade, Rose, and Paul ..........so no he still wouldnt be top five

When was he ever top 5 in the league?

And where does this best scorer in the league talk come from? I hear that too much. He hasn't once averaged 30 a game in a season. He's never led the league in scoring. I don't get it.

I'd say for like half a season a few seasons ago he was top 5 but these days not even close. Don't know if he'd make my top 10 anymore and I love Melo. 

In this sensationalist modern sports culture people rush to judgement too quick.

Dude is close to 10 years in the league...how long are we supposed to wait? Dude is NOT an all-around player. Top-5 scorer in the league, sure...top-5 player, NO.

At some point you are who you are.

This.

*The addition of Chandler isn't going to get the Knicks over the hump...they are going to need a TOTAL commitment from both Melo and STAT on the defensive end to make %@%+ work. I have extreme doubts.

He was argueably on pace to win the MVP the year he stole on Jared Jefferies I think it was...

But ehhhh... Roster Player #7 is talented as hell that's as far as I'm willing to go.

I'm not one of those who subscribes to KD being better than him though.

How quickly people forget that Kobe's ballhogging used to be the go to joke on BET Comic View....

Winning changes everything is all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

He was argueably on pace to win the MVP the year he stole on Jared Jefferies I think it was...

But ehhhh... Roster Player #7 is talented as hell that's as far as I'm willing to go.

yup at that point of the season he was leading the league in scoring and the nuggets were ballin if i recall correctly.  then they traded for iverson...

Honestly the rankings don't mean anything to me because Lebron is clearly #1 because of the way his game affects many different phases (passing , rebounding, defense) ignoring the fact he's soft , not a clutch performer, and severely lacks the heart of a champion. I just want someone to explain to me why Kevin Durant is on such a higher plateau than Melo .

Originally Posted by abutta13

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

yup at that point of the season he was leading the league in scoring and the nuggets were ballin if i recall correctly.  then they traded for iverson...

Yea he had boys in the torture rack that year... He used to be one of my favorite players until he forced his way onto that fassi boi squad he's on.

I will say this... besides Dirk I wouldn't want any other player with the ball in there hands in NEED of a bucket.  Those two can get you a bucket in EVERY WAY possible.  Only two players you can say that about.  Still a fassi though
30t6p3b.gif

I just want someone to explain to me why Kevin Durant is on such a higher plateau than Melo .

Because his tattoos are on his stomach, not his arms and he's more marketable for the league.

I just want someone to explain to me why Kevin Durant is on such a higher plateau than Melo .

Because his tattoos are on his stomach, not his arms and he's more marketable for the league.

And he leads the league in humbleness 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

Seriously though, its because Kevin Durant's 2009-10 season was better than any season Melo ever had. Last year, they were more or less equal. KD is 23. Melo is 27. Who's more likely to improve? It's that simple.

Originally Posted by StillAtIt

laugh.gif

Seriously though, its because Kevin Durant's 2009-10 season was better than any season Melo ever had. Last year, they were more or less equal. KD is 23. Melo is 27. Who's more likely to improve? It's that simple.
What will KD get better at? 

Back
Top Bottom