Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

It is true Nick Cannon being in anything is a huge negative.

Only way to make an authentic Chicago Flick is to do a documentary or style it like Boyz N Da Hood pretty much, and if Rhyme wants that, why doesnt he go and do it?
Cuz he don't got the funds, he's not a screenwriter, not a director or even a producer.

You can criticize something and not have it be flipped on you with a why don't you do it then response.
Miracle at St Anna
do the right thing
Malcolm x
Mo better blues
He got game
He got his share of great movies but as time goes on it's more crap he's making. Quality is farther and farther in between.

Last edited:
Rhymefest was on Sway this morning and was straight hammering Spike for this movie :lol:  and he had some interesting points along with it.

Shortened Version:

Mentioned that Spike had written this movie a few years ago and couldn't get funding for it, so he decided to use Chicago for it and Amazon funded it. 

Got into using Nick Cannon for the role he is in. He said it isn't that he doesn't like Nick, but you put Nick in a role as a "Savage" (his exact word) and that just isn't him nor is it believable. Said that this movie is unauthentic for it to be placed in Chicago and he says that many people from there agree with him.

He also go into the "Blacks Elites" exploiting the poor black people to become and continue to be wealthy. Even brought up Russell Simmons and the Rush Card, and "how you get the card, put your money into it, and then you look and your money is gone."

He ended with mentioning how all of Spike's movies at least have a good soundtrack with them, but said that the one for Chiraq is whack :lol:

Is it out already? How do they know it's not authentic. Even though, I know it's age bet to say it.

The name "Chiraq", drill music, blaming Chef Keef for ALL of. Nobody is taking what's happening in Chicago seriously. Now Spike Lee gonna make some money of and now you mad? Black folks...I tell ya. :smh:

I hope ***** do hate it. This is what them folks look like to the outside world.

89-98 Spike was in his bag!! Atleast 6 classics . If you never seen Clockers he dropped so many gems in that movie and spoke on gun violence and stereotypes and so much more

Clockers -
Malcom X -
Inside Man
25th Hour
Do the Right thing -
Crooklyn! -
He got Game
Mo betta blues
bamboozled
Jungle Fever

Last edited:
Rhymefest was on Sway this morning and was straight hammering Spike for this movie :lol:  and he had some interesting points along with it.

Shortened Version:

Mentioned that Spike had written this movie a few years ago and couldn't get funding for it, so he decided to use Chicago for it and Amazon funded it. 

Got into using Nick Cannon for the role he is in. He said it isn't that he doesn't like Nick, but you put Nick in a role as a "Savage" (his exact word) and that just isn't him nor is it believable. Said that this movie is unauthentic for it to be placed in Chicago and he says that many people from there agree with him.

He also go into the "Blacks Elites" exploiting the poor black people to become and continue to be wealthy. Even brought up Russell Simmons and the Rush Card, and "how you get the card, put your money into it, and then you look and your money is gone."

He ended with mentioning how all of Spike's movies at least have a good soundtrack with them, but said that the one for Chiraq is whack :lol:

I used to think Rhymesfest had some sense, but with this I learned I was wrong.

It's called acting. It's what actors do, act. What "ACTOR" is a savage? If he had Common or Kanye in the role, would he have been ok with it? Did he even see the movie to discredit Nick Canon's acting job?

If Spike wanted to make money, he would do stuff like Inside Man or sell out completely and put out a shuckin and jive Christian comedy

Shortened Version:

I used to think Rhymesfest had some sense, but with this I learned I was wrong.

It's called acting. It's what actors do, act. What "ACTOR" is a savage? If he had Common or Kanye in the role, would he have been ok with it? Did he even see the movie to discredit Nick Canon's acting job?

If Spike wanted to make money, he would do stuff like Inside Man or sell out completely and put out a shuckin and jive Christian comedy

Man, it's Nick Cannon, that's nowhere near believable, Kanye wouldn't be believable either. Some people, acting or not, u just can't see as a savage or vice versa.

I think a lot of guys need to make their own documentary about what they want it to be about. That doesn't take much money or funding. How much money did it take for Rhymefest for mayor?

They're more vocal about Spike's movie than LaQuan McDonald's killer and can't seem to grasp that not every movie is supposed to be autobiographical.

Last edited:
Casting is important. Believe it or not. But good acting can overcome miscasting sometimes. Less concerned with nick cannon being miscast as a "Chiraq Savage", than I am with the overall feel I'm getting from the movie.

I also want to reiterate the point that good message does not = good movie.

The "if you don't like it, make your own" is a ridiculous point. There's more to making a quality, respectable documentary/film than a camera and the will.

Man, it's Nick Cannon, that's nowhere near believable, Kanye wouldn't be believable either. Some people, acting or not, u just can't see as a savage or vice versa.

Johnny Depp as an Irish mobster or the mad hatter?

Nick Cannon as a drummer or a rapper gang member?

Both out of there elements for the tougher roles but both have talent and can act

my brother who lives in chiraq says this movie is not appreciated at all..

and a major flaw in the plot happens to be that women are drillin' just as much as dudes 
laugh.gif

my brother who lives in chiraq says this movie is not appreciated at all..

and a major flaw in the plot happens to be that women are drillin' just as much as dudes :lol:

I can respect that argument, of people feeling this film is placing blame on Black Men only or failing or something to the extent.

The dynamic going on in these cities are extremely complex, as there are so many levels involved its almost impossible to really discuss it in film without leaving something out or not putting enough emphasis on it.

Because the issue at hand is bigger than the end product which would be Nick Cannons character for example, what needs to be addressed is the generational social engineering that creates these people.

Its easy for White Supremacist to point the finger at "Black on Black crime" and refuse to address their hands in creating the environment for it.

So then you have the conflict of which issue do you address first, or are they needed to be had in the same convo or are they different convos, because people will think you are trying to excuse the violence talking about White Supremacy hand in it, but when you talk about the violence people will think you are giving White supremacy a pass.

They're more vocal about Spike's movie than LaQuan McDonald's killer and can't seem to grasp that not every movie is supposed to be autobiographical.

You can't be from Chicago :stoneface: :smh: For you to reference that as a means of devaluing someone's opinion is disgusting.

I LIVE IN CHICAGO. I work with the very kids who navigate the neighborhoods/streets that are surrounded by this senselessness. Hell, a 9 yr old was murdered in an alley LITERALLY around the corner from where my 2 year old goes to day care a few weeks ago. The issue here is that he's making a satire film about a city's (my city) gun violence/murder rate. Little kids are dying here, mother's are burying their babies, families are being destroyed due to losing loved ones. You don't make a satire film about that. Yes I know it's a take on a Greek comedy, but that's the issue, there is nothing funny or slightly humorous about what's taking place here. So for him to use that as the basis for telling this story is more than disappointing, it's disrespectful to the families who have lost children to senseless acts of violence.

I've yet to come across anyone in my city who is happy with the way the movie is brought to life. **** going to see the movie, seeing the trailer was enough, let alone his responding to Chicagoans criticism of his film by saying we have an inferiority complex to NYC. That was pathetic. To simply disregard the very people whose story you're "attempting" to tell or use as your motivation is to make a mockery of them. Which is exactly how the people I've discussed this with feel.

Satire =/= Comedy

Look, I'm not gonna sit here an assume you all who are opposed to this film don't know what satire is. However, it's interesting to me that people automatically assume that because you can laugh at some parts of it, that's means Spike Lee is trying to make light of a serious topic.

Hold up Spike pulled the NYC >>> card when Chicagoans criticized this movie?! :smh: :lol: :stoneface: Son has really lost it.

If you know you can't say something that properly explains why you made the movie you better off being like those directors who are rarely seen and never heard.

Johnny Depp as an Irish mobster or the mad hatter?

Nick Cannon as a drummer or a rapper gang member?

Both out of there elements for the tougher roles but both have talent and can act
Did you seriously just compare Nick Cannon to Johnny Depp as actors? Seriously?

:smh:

:stoneface:

Depp was great in Black Mass. Cannon was great in what? Drumline? Drumline my *****?!

You can't be from Chicago :stoneface: :smh: For you to reference that as a means of devaluing someone's opinion is disgusting.

I LIVE IN CHICAGO. I work with the very kids who navigate the neighborhoods/streets that are surrounded by this senselessness. Hell, a 9 yr old was murdered in an alley LITERALLY around the corner from where my 2 year old goes to day care a few weeks ago. The issue here is that he's making a satire film about a city's (my city) gun violence/murder rate. Little kids are dying here, mother's are burying their babies, families are being destroyed due to losing loved ones. You don't make a satire film about that. Yes I know it's a take on a Greek comedy, but that's the issue, there is nothing funny or slightly humorous about what's taking place here. So for him to use that as the basis for telling this story is more than disappointing, it's disrespectful to the families who have lost children to senseless acts of violence.

I've yet to come across anyone in my city who is happy with the way the movie is brought to life. **** going to see the movie, seeing the trailer was enough, let alone his responding to Chicagoans criticism of his film by saying we have an inferiority complex to NYC. That was pathetic. To simply disregard the very people whose story you're "attempting" to tell or use as your motivation is to make a mockery of them. Which is exactly how the people I've discussed this with feel.

Did you see the movie?

Back
Top Bottom