Spike Lee's CHIRAQ trailer

Well I stand corrected.

But even still, it shares far too many similarities with Miami Tail to not be a ripoff. Maybe if it came out in the 80s, I could let it slide.

Last edited:
No.

Clearly it isn't. But I'm not impressed by some Greek classic either just cuz it's ancient. People out here acting like you aren't high Brow if you've never heard or seen Lysistrata.

When Hollywood takes elements from Anansi the Spider, I'll be more interested and impressed. The world is bigger and more ancient than Western Europe.

Nah, one thing to say you dont care for the play this was inspired by, its another thing to correct false information of something ripping off something, which is what people are doing.

Hell, the first thing I thought of was Miami Tail. It might not have been where he got his inspiration from, but you can't deny the fact that it's basically the same concept.

It's the same concept because it's inspired by the same damn play.

It's like complaining that two different versions of cinderella are too similar 
laugh.gif

Not a fan of the trailer at all

I legit thought this movie was going to be more of the documentary variety like his movie, When the levies broke

smh

It's the same concept because it's inspired by the same damn play.
It's like complaining that two different versions of cinderella are too similar :lol:

That'd be a legitimate complaint. What would be the point of the second? Especially if they were made so close to each other.

Last edited:
As a person from Chicago, I can't appreciate the direction he went with this film at all. 

1. this is a serious and heartfelt issue linked to generational gang violence, racism and gentrification, and lack of resources and education for the youth.

2. maybe satire / comedy would be more effective in relaying a message to an audience without their guard up BUT this writing doesn't take any elements from the way Chicago really is. The characters feel like the urban folks that Spike is familiar with from either New York or Atlanta. No authenticity at all.

3. Feels like any white person seeing this will feed into the image of black people that they want to reinforce. Stupid and driven by animalistic desires.

1. I mean it's a take on a classical greek comedy. The premise didn't come out of the clear blue sky.

2. Movies have used comedy and satire to tackle important issues all the time. Charley Chaplins The Great Dictator on Nazi germany, Doctor Stranglove on the cold war.

Just becuase it's funny doesn't mean it isn't serious.

3. Those white people were inclined to belive those things anyways, a movie not change any of those peoples minds.

I am a little surprised at so many people being upset based off the trailer. I am also surprised at the different opinions on the direction the unseen film should have went.

Was it more preferable for this to be a raw, accurate and modern film about Chicago violence in the inner city in a Boyz in the Hood type manner or would you all have preferred a documentary like HBO or Vice does, depicting all the stuff we have already seen and know about?

Neither approach seems vastly more entertaining.

Doing this like "when the levees broke" doesn't seem right to me. I rather feel angry about the situation than sad. And watching a boyz in the hood type movie about it is kinda weak cuz we have all been exposed to "drill" music videos, which would unfortunately create expectations. But maybe the general public hasnt.

One thing's for sure, Spike's doc on MJ's "Off The Wall" will definitely steer my attention away from this project, on a positive note lol

I am a little surprised at so many people being upset based off the trailer. I am also surprised at the different opinions on the direction the unseen film should have went.

Was it more preferable for this to be a raw, accurate and modern film about Chicago violence in the inner city in a Boyz in the Hood type manner or would you all have preferred a documentary like HBO or Vice does, depicting all the stuff we have already seen and know about?

Neither approach seems vastly more entertaining.

Doing this like "when the levees broke" doesn't seem right to me. I rather feel angry about the situation than sad. And watching a boyz in the hood type movie about it is kinda weak cuz we have all been exposed to "drill" music videos, which would unfortunately create expectations. But maybe the general public hasnt.

A film named Chiraq, should look and feel like it's in you know....Chiraq. That is a lot of people's main gripe with this trailer. Spike seemingly hasn't done his homework. When you watch Clockers, it feels like you are in a NY/NJ projects. The culture and casting are represented.

For better or worse, there is a "culture" around Chiraq...and how that phrase came to be. It's the gang bangers, drillers, hittas, Thots, rappers, children, families, neighborhoods affected after the projects torn down, young dudes set tripping the and starting their own cliques b/c of the OGs in jail, the rich and poor disparity, kids killing kids, drill music, social media, activist trying to bring peace. Etc etc. That's really not hard to bring out if the homework on the culture is done. By the looks of this trailer, little of this is represented.

Imagine a Bronx Tale, looking, sounding and feeling like it was set in California. Or better yet, "Crooklyn" looking, sounding and feeling like it was set in Atlanta. That takes away from the movie immensely. Authenticity is paramount. Hollywood glosses over authenticity in urban films.

**** looks terrible.

Should have just been blasting 6double0 for the theme music. **** Edai should be starring in this film. Nick cannon :rofl:

acuracy has no relationship to the quality of film.

Selma is a great movie but not accurate.

Inglorious basterds great movie not acurate.

This isn't documentary, it's film making, whats the point if you aren't going to take artistic liberties?

If you wan't accuracy go watch, Che Stephen Soderburgs 5 hour biopic, it will bore you to tears but danm is it accurate! :lol:

Damn Nick Cannon. Ruining a movie just by starring in it.

Last edited:
acuracy has no relationship to the quality of film.

Selma is a great movie but not accurate.

Inglorious basterds great movie not acurate.

This isn't documentary, it's film making, whats the point if you aren't going to take artistic liberties?

If you wan't accuracy go watch, Che Stephen Soderburgs 5 hour biopic, it will bore you to tears but danm is it accurate! :lol:

Those are two wholy different things I'm speaking about. Your talking about historically accuracy. I'm talking about CULTURAL accuracy.

If all the people in Selma spoke with New York accents it wouldn't be as good of a movie. This concept isn't hard to grasp at all.

I see both points. I don't think (from the trailer at least) that the entire film will be out of touch with what Chicago is actually like. There's just a few things that were off. Like Nick cannon should not be playing that role whatsoever. That's just bad casting. On the flipside...I saw Sasha go hard in a scene. So that lets me know that spike did consider authenticity.

Will wait for the full film to judge

Back
Top Bottom