Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apparently she's good childhood friends with Leia? According to the cannon books anyway.

But given how much of a fan-fav Ackbar was, the way they killed him off just wasn't right. Should have had him do the Hyperdrive-run... a heroic send-off. As awesome as that scene was, it would have been even better had Ackbar did it. Holdo's sacrifice meant nothing to me.

Keep Holdo around for Episode IX to rebuild the Rebels with Leia.

With more people chiming in now that they’ve watched it and sharing their disappointment, CP has a whole new crop of members to chastise and call lames. :lol:

I saw it last night. I liked it when I left the theater. Looking back now, I’m not sure how I feel about it. In some ways I’m disappointed. In others I’m not.

The disappointment is pouring in from around the world. This film isn’t “divisive” anymore, it’s just bad. I had a friend call me last night at 2 am after just getting out the theater and the first thing he says is “what the **** did they do to Star Wars?!” in a horrified voice :lol: dude is one of the biggest Star Wars fans I’ve ever met. Darth Vader cosplay, constantly bringing up KOTOR, the works. It killed me that this film broke him up like this and it’s doing it to so many of us. I remember episode 1 and the “pain” and discontent people had over it but people at the least still had hope and were curious Jake Lloyd would evolve into Space Hitler. This is different though. This feels so much more personal. Between the scene of the saber moving before killing Snoke and Luke not creating footprints I’m inclined to think that Rian Johnson just got overwhelmed by this film. Why are you showing hints at to what is going to be revealed in the next 20-30 seconds? He didn’t really know what to deliver in a Star Wars film. Even Kylo and Rey vs the Praetorian Guards didn’t feature the choreographed finesse of a lightsaber fight. I’m convinced he was a “passing” Star Wars fan. Knows the pop culture aspects but didn’t really know the details. One of those dudes that came up saying “Dark” Vader up until a few years ago :lol: it makes his decisions about this film make more sense. He thought the deconstruction of Star Wars was gonna come off as funny and epic. Boy was he wrong.

Not sure why people keep mentioning that Luke wasn’t creating foot prints in the salt. He physically wasn’t there and it was a force “ghost” if you will. A figment of Kylos imagination. I don’t see how that would create a footstep. Luke physically wasn’t there.

I think a lot of people are feeling disappointment because this film was supposed to reveal all these secrets from the prior TFA. Now that it’s out it didn’t really live to the theories we thought there would be. I too am somewhat disappointed.

The relationship between Rey and Luke seemed haphazard too. Like it was forced, it alludes to things that just never were visualized.

I didn’t care for the Porgs either. A few were fine but the scene with Chewie where the Plastic Porg flew up just didn’t look right.

Last edited:
Not sure why people keep mentioning that Luke wasn’t creating foot prints in the salt. He physically wasn’t there and it was a force “ghost” if you will. A figment of Kylos imagination. I don’t see how that would create a footstep. Luke physically wasn’t there.

Word. Are people forgetting that’s why the golden dice disappeared too?

I think a lot of people are feeling disappointment because this film was supposed to reveal all these secrets from the prior TFA. Now that it’s out it didn’t really live to the theories we thought there would be. I too am somewhat disappointed.

The relationship between Rey and Luke seemed haphazard too. Like it was forced, it alludes to things that just never were visualized.

I didn’t care for the Porgs either. A few were fine but the scene with Chewie where the Plastic Porg flew up just didn’t look right.

The thing about it is the whole purpose of Crait was for Luke’s Astral projection scene. They consistently panned the camera on the ground and it creating red print (the dude licking the ground next to Gareth Edwards saying it’s salt :stoneface: ) all to create a dramatic impact when the camera keeps focusing on Kylo and Luke digging there feet for their lightsaber stance and you noticing Luke isn’t creating any prints, along with his haircut and his choice of lightsaber. The thing is....it’s absolutely pointless. What purpose did Crait and the red dust have? I’m only considering pointless because there was so much promotion for the planet and the posters of all the cast members in red. But between that and Snoke’s throne room, the red served no purpose. It’s just Rian Johnson’s favorite color smh

The thing about it is the whole purpose of Crait was for Luke’s Astral projection scene. They consistently panned the camera on the ground and it creating red print (the dude licking the ground next to Gareth Edwards saying it’s salt :stoneface: ) all to create a dramatic impact when the camera keeps focusing on Kylo and Luke digging there feet for their lightsaber stance and you noticing Luke isn’t creating any prints, along with his haircut and his choice of lightsaber. The thing is....it’s absolutely pointless. What purpose did Crait and the red dust have? I’m only considering pointless because there was so much promotion for the planet and the posters of all the cast members in red. But between that and Snoke’s throne room, the red served no purpose. It’s just Rian Johnson’s favorite color smh

I kinda liked the anime style of “fighting” choreography by Kylo at the end. Too bad I was still too busy at the whole “battle” scene prior where these dudes just kicked up red dust to “buy time”. I’ve used too many quotes but between the no battle and them robbing us of a lightsaber scene. It was disappointment after disappointment.

Force Awakens comes out...people say it’s too much like original trilogy.
Last Jedi comes out...people say it’s nothing like original trilogy.

Too much comparing these movies to 40 year old movies. People should just enjoy the moment.

I think the point was to show that Luke wasn’t physically there. The signs were there but no one noticed he wasn’t real except for maybe Leila. Why else would you show this other than dramatic effect of the red with the white?

Force Awakens comes out...people say it’s too much like original trilogy.
Last Jedi comes out...people say it’s nothing like original trilogy.

Too much comparing these movies to 40 year old movies. People should just enjoy the moment.

If it's suppose to be a continuation of the storyline from 40 years, those issues are valid. Rogue One being a stand off and loosely tied to either trilogy felt more like a Star Wars film than TLJ.

On screen, is Rey now considered the most powerful Jedi ever?

She didn’t need any real training to weld a lightsaber better than Luke ever did in the previous movies.

She mastered the Jedi mind trick in one movie.

Knows everything about the Falcon.

Can Force FaceTime.

Lift several boulders with ease after one movie.

Speak every language.

Shoot down several tie fighters with ease.

She’s sooo OP without even being born from the force or have any connections to a Skywalker.*

*may change after IX

Last edited:
That was exactly why I was mentioning it... that it was one of several clues that Luke wasn't there.
When I watched it for the first time, I didn't spot it... and I'm guessing there were some others who didn't initially spot it...
But from the other clues, I got the feeling that something was off.

On screen, is Rey now considered the most powerful Jedi ever?

She didn’t need any real training to weld a lightsaber better than Luke ever did in the previous movies.

She mastered the Jedi mind trick in one movie.

Can Force FaceTime.

Lift several boulders with ease after one movie.

Speak every language.

Shoot down several tie fighters with ease.

She’s sooo OP without even being born from the force.*

*may change after IX

when Luke was asking the question "who are you?" I thought for sure she would have some sort of clean *** backstory before Jakku :smh:

What a waste of emotional investment that turned out to be...

Overall, I liked TLJ.

I'm glad I avoided everything Star Wars until after I saw the movie. Otherwise, I probably would've gone in expecting disappointment like some of you clowns :lol:

I do feel like the lightsaber battle choreography is lacking tho. The red guard battle could've been SO much better.

Something else I just realized regarding that movie long slow~chase between the First Order and the Resistance ships...

It was established in Episode 7 and even in this film that when coming out of light speed ships can stop with, basically pinpoint accuracy...Like within very close proximity to other ships...Would it have been THAT difficult for the First Order to just jump into light speed and the exit right on top of the resistance ships?

AND again, Why did they go through all the trouble in the previous films to collect intel on the death star / 's and the Star Killer base? Seems like all they had to do was gather some decrepit old ships, load them with a couple droids at the controls, then launch those things into light speed directly through the giant death planets...

If it's suppose to be a continuation of the storyline from 40 years, those issues are valid. Rogue One being a stand off and loosely tied to either trilogy felt more like a Star Wars film than TLJ.
Rogue One felt inferior compared to these too. It wasn't adventurous at all.

Can Force FaceTime.

Speak every language.

She’s sooo OP without even being born from the force or have any connections to a Skywalker.*

*may change after IX
I'm guessing we're gonna drop the "Spoilers" now?
Assuming everyone in here has seen it already...

Don't know the answers to all of those Q's, but she's been scavenging her whole life so my guess is that she has the 'mechanical' knowledge of generally how things work. Plus in TFA she said that she was a pilot.

Force FaceTime - Snoke allowed that to happen. He made Ben and Rey connect.

Languages - Again, probably her scavenging life on Jakku gave her those skills. Unkar Plutt's yard seemed like it had a wide range of species/beings.

With her being a "nobody" and the kid with the broom who's Force-sensitive, I'm guessing they're implying that there are more naturally "Force gifted" (?) people in the galaxy?
I kinda see it like naturally gifted artists/musicians... some might have never had a lesson, but are still able to do amazing things. With some proper guidance, they could vastly improve. Anyway... dunno if it was the best analogy, but that came to mind.

I'm guessing we're gonna drop the "Spoilers" now?
Assuming everyone in here has seen it already...

Don't know the answers to all of those Q's, but she's been scavenging her whole life so my guess is that she has the 'mechanical' knowledge of generally how things work. Plus in TFA she said that she was a pilot.

Force FaceTime - Snoke allowed that to happen. He made Ben and Rey connect.

Languages - Again, probably her scavenging life on Jakku gave her those skills. Unkar Plutt's yard seemed like it had a wide range of species/beings.

With her being a "nobody" and the kid with the broom who's Force-sensitive, I'm guessing they're implying that there are more naturally "Force gifted" (?) people in the galaxy?
I kinda see it like naturally gifted artists/musicians... some might have never had a lesson, but are still able to do amazing things. With some proper guidance, they could vastly improve. Anyway... dunno if it was the best analogy, but that came to mind.

Makes sense. If you are a huge Star Wars fan, especially of the movie canon, it’s a lot of emotional equity, history and knowledge this film forces you to shed off about Star Wars.

For some, that’s easy to do and for others not so much yet. Fan favorites are being killed off, how folks use the force is being expanded, etc., its a lot of changes.

I think in a few more viewings, I probably end up loving the movie. There’s a lot of classic moments that really are franchise “toppers.”

Right now, I just can’t stand that Rey is literally the most powerful Jedi ever without a real explanation.

Also, bunch of things set-up without any real emotional payoff bothers me.

Expectations really can mess up an initial viewing experience.

I went and saw the movie last night...still processing and I’ll go rewatch it again over the holidays.
I feel like I have some initial thoughts at least. There were some nice throwbacks, the space battles were awesome, and the way Johnson shot the movie was gorgeous. Without a doubt this one took a hard turn towards another direction in terms of lore and all that. I think that theory about ending the Skywalker story is interesting and i do hope they end it after 9.
I think in a sense this movie fell victim to high expectations. But there’s so many little details I feel like it’s going to get better over time.

I wasn’t really a fan of Leia pulling herself back in.
Phasma underwhelmed.
Not all the comedy hit like it did in TFA.
I didn’t care about Holdo at all.

I went in expecting something completely different but I’m not mad at all about what I saw. Overall it was a good movie, but I’m not completely sure how I feel about it as a Star Wars movie.

Also, the original cut was a little over 3 hours, I wonder if that material could’ve replaced Finn and rose’s story...

Back
Top Bottom