Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Broke my scaphoid bone. Got surgery last week. I feel superultramega weak and thin. I feel the muscle atophy kicking in. 2 months off weakness then i'm going to spend 6 months of doing nothing but getting in the best shape of my life.

I've been paying attention to my macros lately..
I eat A LOT of chicken breast, tuna, egg whites but those are high in protein and not carbs.
My fat content per day is low, I don't know how low but I know for sure I'm not getting enough carbs.

What are some carb dense foods??? I have two shakes a day and that provides 176g. None of the foods I eat seem to contain any carbs though :S

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

I eat A LOT of chicken breast, tuna, egg whites but those are high in protein and not carbs.
My fat content per day is low, I don't know how low but I know for sure I'm not getting enough carbs.

What are some carb dense foods??? I have two shakes a day and that provides 176g. None of the foods I eat seem to contain any carbs though :S
Whole grain pasta, potatoes, whole grain bagels, bread....

i been slackin with working out lately but im about to get back at it...i just bought some boost to drink with every meal... it had more protein than ensure but does ensure help you get bigger faster??? hhmmm the boost was also cheaper. 24 for 25 bucks at sams
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

TylderDurden or anyone else that wants to take a stab at this.

Some folks around me have been told about a diet system in which you are told to fast on certain days. I am asking them why they feel it is effective and they sent me a picture of this super cut-up dude that apparently uses the same system. Naturally since dude looks like that, they won't listen to anything I have to say about it. They keep using the, "Humans today are brainwashed into believing fasting is a bad idea."

What would you say to your friends if you were me?
Do some research on the benefits of intermittent fasting. There are numerous studies done that show long list of benefits that one can receive by fasting regularly. Even once or twice a week has a load of benefits. It's true though, humans are brainwashed by modern society that fasting is bad. I say don't knock it until you try it or atleast do some research on it. Research shows that it increases HGH production as well as creates a more favorable body composition.
Look up LeanGains, Eat Stop Eat, or Fast 5 for more info
funny this keeps coming up.  after all you've posted on intermittent fasting nealraj i decided to give it a try, along with some of the primary principles of the primal/paleo/caveman diet.  i went pretty extreme and tried to not eat until 5pm and stop around 11pm at least 5 days out of the week.

it's been about 3 or 4 weeks, and the results are pretty wild.  i've dropped weight surprising easy, even to a weight i haven't been since high school (my previous low weight range was 148-150, but i'm right around 142 right now, without having to think much at all about "having" to eat at any certain time.  not only that, but after about a week of adjusting to it, i don't have anything like the hunger pangs i had when i would try to eat 5-6 small meals a day.  my muscle mass hasn't taken a hit either, and i've only really lifted once a week (full body split) so far.  hardly any cardio to speak of, besides bball once a week (2-3 hours).  and it's not like i'm starving myself either.  i'm eating well when i do have a meal
pimp.gif
.  as long as i'm not gorging myself, there's no issue with having a meal when you want to or eating "party" food or anything like that.  the paleo aspect of the diet helps in this aspect, because insulin (and therefore blood sugar and energy levels) are better regulated when carbs are limited.  call it crazy or radical or stupid, but there's a lot about modern nutrition that really doesn't consider the complexities of energy regulation.  to be blunt, i think it's very shortsighted to believe that calories in = calories out.
laugh.gif
I finally got to you?
Seriously though, it's great to see it working out for you. It's a great way to eat in my opinion because it can be hard to stop eating food sometimes. Also, I find that I crave healthy foods when I fast. But when I eat throughout the day, I don't eat nearly as healthy as when fasting. I agree that calories in = calories out misses out on quite a few other factors. It's fairly easy to maintain a weight while fasting. While it isn't the best for gaining mass, that does not mean that it can not be/is not effective in helping build muscle mass.

Have you checked out www.theleansaloon.com ? It's a great site that has basically the same approach that you use. The owner maintains an extremely lean physique year-round.

So what kind of digital scale you guys all using? Does it matter if its like a cheap one from walmart.. I just dont want to step on the scale it read one weight, step off and back on and tells me another weight..

Originally Posted by iLLest

^ So basically, if I wanted to give it a try... I wake up and don't eat until 5 pm. And from 5-11 I can eat. And then fast up until 5 again? I want to give that a try if that's how it works. Is it hard to work out under those circumstances? And also, can you drink water in the gap from 11-5. like throughout the day? Thanks in advance.
Before you jump straight into fasting, I'd like to mention 2 different methods that I've heard from others about slowly transitioning into it:

1. Get on a lower-carb diet. The body will become more efficient at using fat as fuel. That way, when you have lower blood glucose levels during the day, you won't feel bad. You will be adjusted to it and it will be much easier for you to fast for the alotted time that you choose. Taper your carbs for a while.

2. Slowly increase the fasting period. Don't just jump into a daily 18 hour fast. Cortisol levels and your mentality may not be able to support and continue it. Start off by pushing breakfast and lunch back as far as you can. So instead of eating at say, 8 am, eat breakfast at 9 am for a few days. Slowly push your meals back until you are comfortable eating at a later time during the day.

Also, like verynecessary said, there are many different windows that people like to follow. I don't have a defined fasting period. For me it can be as short at 16 hours or as long as 24 hours. It depends on the day of the week. You shouldn't feel obligated to eat only at a specific time. Intermittent fasting is about the freedom from food during the day. I just try to abstain from food while I'm busy. While I'm in class or doing work, I don't like to have much/any food in my system. So try and make it work for your schedule, and keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the exact same schedule every day.

Intermittent fasting is a lifestyle. You should make sure that you don't rush into it and leave with a sour taste in your mouth from it. It's meant to be a sustainable way to health.

Originally Posted by jdub55

Nealraj

I do this sometimes and ive read this. ill eat a ton for awhile and then i wont eat as much and im as lean as they come(5.3 % Body fat at 165 pounds) so when i feel like leaning out anymore ill do this and my strength is still there if not better.
That's great. You definitely know what you're doing and what your body needs. I remember you mentioning having good genetics to maintain such a low bodyfat comfortably. That's amazingly lean. I could only imagine being that low. Just a quick question about that: how does it feel to maintain such a low bodyfat percentage? I've heard accounts from others saying that they felt cold, hungry all the time, tiny, etc. Do you feel more comfortable at other body fat percentages? Just curious to see what others say.
How tall are you? Must be 5'8 or 5'9 with that weight.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Thanks man

I know that eating carbs later at night has potential to be converted to fat since you don't burn it sleeping.
And I'm finding that I have a hard time getting carbs earlier in the day.
Could I eat dinner for breakfast?? Doe this have any obvious issues?

Originally Posted by Durden7

Thanks man

I know that eating carbs later at night has potential to be converted to fat since you don't burn it sleeping.
And I'm finding that I have a hard time getting carbs earlier in the day.
Could I eat dinner for breakfast?? Doe this have any obvious issues?
Thanks for the reminder to eat more carbs Durden. I'll eat carbs for my 2nd, 3rd or 4th meal
laugh.gif

I need to eat more. 195 FTL
frown.gif
. I'm thinking about eating a whole wheat pizza on training days ..wouldn't that be sweet? Pizza for gains!
laugh.gif
BTW Bagels+PB+AWEGGS+Oats/whey+Yogurt= FTW  breakfast
pimp.gif

Nealraj

It feels good maintaining it, Ive read about people feeling sluggish and cold and sometimes smaller but i take in enough to help me maintain and of course i try and eat as clean as possible but don't always have to worry about it if i do feel like eating In n Out or something like that because i know its going to be turned into something beneficial in the end. But having a high metabolism to begin with i usually am snacking throughout the day. Oh and i always have a protein shake before bed so i have something to burn while i sleep and it's not burning my glycogen.

Something i also do is eating till i'm satisfied not disgustingly full cause i don't do the whole gorging thing where people eat 6 or 7 eggs 2 or 3 pieces of toast an orange and a yogurt. I just don't see how some people do it, I might have 3 egg whites to 1 yolk and a protein shake with it or a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter and a protein shake. Another thing is portioning your food out for breakfast dinner and lunch.

But i get asked all the time if i've done the sauce or HGH cause my body is so lean that people think there's no way i look the way i do without doing that. I would compare my build to GSP and get told all the time i look like him but i don't weigh as much as him by any means,but i will here soon, he's got legs you could kick somebody's head off their shoulders with. But my favorite was a friend of mine i hadn't seen in awhile he says "man what r you weighing these days?" "190?" "195?" and i laughed and said no not even close try 165 and he tried to argue with me and say there's no way. I'm 5"10 btw.

Nealraj

It feels good maintaining it, Ive read about people feeling sluggish and cold and sometimes smaller but i take in enough to help me maintain and of course i try and eat as clean as possible but don't always have to worry about it if i do feel like eating In n Out or something like that because i know its going to be turned into something beneficial in the end. But having a high metabolism to begin with i usually am snacking throughout the day. Oh and i always have a protein shake before bed so i have something to burn while i sleep and it's not burning my glycogen.

Something i also do is eating till i'm satisfied not disgustingly full cause i don't do the whole gorging thing where people eat 6 or 7 eggs 2 or 3 pieces of toast an orange and a yogurt. I just don't see how some people do it, I might have 3 egg whites to 1 yolk and a protein shake with it or a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter and a protein shake. Another thing is portioning your food out for breakfast dinner and lunch.

But i get asked all the time if i've done the sauce or HGH cause my body is so lean that people think there's no way i look the way i do without doing that. I would compare my build to GSP and get told all the time i look like him but i don't weigh as much as him by any means,but i will here soon, he's got legs you could kick somebody's head off their shoulders with. But my favorite was a friend of mine i hadn't seen in awhile he says "man what r you weighing these days?" "190?" "195?" and i laughed and said no not even close try 165 and he tried to argue with me and say there's no way. I'm 5"10 btw.
Do you smoke weed? Because my body always gets cut up when i'm on the green
pimp.gif

..not that i'm advocating that or anything..

Hombre

You know it, that pic in my avy was stuff i grew last year and being from Northern Northern California we grow the nicest stuff in the world hands down. Oh and the guys i grow with harvested 1500 lbs and this year they're talkin about 2000 this year.

I got a problem. It's been here pretty much my whole life..

I stay hungry 24/7.. Like nothing can stop my appetite; not sickness, not depression, not stress, nothing! I've done a good job by losing the pounds over the last 9 months, but my eating habits suck royally.

I don't do fast food too often, but like today I ate a banana for bfast, lunch- a huge southwest salad and asiago cheese bagel (no creme cheese), dinner was a whole bag of salad/mixed greens lite italian and a few slices of turkey chopped in it.

Not even 30 mins after dinner i was still hungry so I fixed a whole wheat turkey sandwich and some kettle chips, and 10 mins after that i still wasn't full so I fixed another sandwich.

This has been the case my whole life. If there is food to eat I'll eat it and not get full.

I need some appetite suppressant medication or something OTC.. What will do the trick?

btw I've tried to space my meals apart and if i do indulge, eat as healthy as possible.

How can I become a fitness model/underwear model ??
That calvin klien dude posted wayy back was lean as hell im not far off his physique. even local $#%$ or sears catalog. just on my to do list in life

What's good with N.O. Explode? I bought a small container of it (2.5 lbs I believe) today, based off of reviews from a friend of mine. I want to know more about it though.

I'm 5'10" and weigh about 150-160lbs the last time I checked. Is N.O. Explode for me?

^^What do you wanna know? It used to be way better back when it first came out, you should be good man is it the first time taking a pre workout? take a scoop do your workout and gauge from there i got a buddy that mixes his N.O. with Jack3d but to each their own its all how your body reacts.

TO those that go to 24, Do they allow deadlifts?

Im reading around the net and some 24 hour gyms dont allow deadlifts.
laugh.gif
?

What kind of BS is that?

I cant remember if the local 24 hour gym allows it or not. will check later this week

^^What do you wanna know? It used to be way better back when it first came out, you should be good man is it the first time taking a pre workout? take a scoop do your workout and gauge from there i got a buddy that mixes his N.O. with Jack3d but to each their own its all how your body reacts.
I basically wanted to know if with my build it's 'recommended' for me to be taking it, meaning will I see results (assuming I work out enough while on it). And yeah first time taking a pre-workout supplement.

For anyone tryin to lose fat supress appetite you gotta get on that ec stack. ephedrine/caffeine. Go to a walgreens buy bronkaid its like 10 bucks for 60 its behind counter so you gotta ask and buy any 200mg caffeine pills i use equate at walmart for like 5 bucks. Cant do HIIT just low intesity cardio otherwise your heart will explode or something lol. Work your tolerance up because you might not sleep and be a little jittery if you jump right in but regardless gives you lots of energy at gym just read this http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm works like a charm and makes cutting so simple I have to remind myself to eat all my meals

BKmac

Yeah man you should be good with your build and not having taken one before you should see and feel results. How long are your workouts usually?

ive been on the low carb diet for a week now. gotta discipline yourself but it works so well if you wanna cut and lean up. a gym og told me "discipline your brain and your body will follow"

Back
Top Bottom