Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Yeah, behind the back/neck anything is very high risk. Your shoulders are the least stable joint in your body; you don't wanna be messing with them. Most people don't even realize that straight above the head dumbell/military press places yourself at a much higher risk for shoulder injury.
higher risk than....

Sorry, should've elaborated.  Doing them directly overhead is worse than if you do them more safely with the weights slightly in front of your shoulders, or on a slight incline so they're not being pressed exactly perpendicular to the floor and straight up over your shoulders.

Yeah, behind the back/neck anything is very high risk. Your shoulders are the least stable joint in your body; you don't wanna be messing with them. Most people don't even realize that straight above the head dumbell/military press places yourself at a much higher risk for shoulder injury.
higher risk than....

Sorry, should've elaborated.  Doing them directly overhead is worse than if you do them more safely with the weights slightly in front of your shoulders, or on a slight incline so they're not being pressed exactly perpendicular to the floor and straight up over your shoulders.

Whered you read that?

higher risk than....

Whered you read that?

damn...this is good stuff to know. i been doing my db presses and military presses directly overhead

higher risk than....

Whered you read that?  
Didn't read it, but learned it through my personal training courses.  Plus, I have shoulders that act up sometimes and I can definitely feel much more strain if I do them directly overhead as opposed to slightly in front or on a slight incline. Same goes for upright rows, or lateral/front raises with medial shoulder rotation (i.e. turning thumbs down at any point in the movement). Quick google search:

Impingement is common in both young athletes and middle-aged people. Young athletes who use their arms overhead for swimming, baseball, and tennis are particularly vulnerable. Those who do repetitive lifting or overhead activities using the arm, such as paper hanging, construction, or painting are also susceptible. Pain may also develop as the result of minor trauma or spontaneously with no apparent cause. 

wait... ive been doing my shoulder presses standing... directly over my head....

more input please other than chewtoy's because im starting to worry

LOLZ

ChewToy112 wrote:

ChewToy112 wrote:

ChewToy112 wrote:
higher risk than....

Whered you read that?  
Didn't read it, but learned it through my personal training courses.  Plus, I have shoulders that act up sometimes and I can definitely feel much more strain if I do them directly overhead as opposed to slightly in front or on a slight incline. Same goes for upright rows, or lateral/front raises with medial shoulder rotation (i.e. turning thumbs down at any point in the movement). Quick google search:

Impingement is common in both young athletes and middle-aged people. Young athletes who use their arms overhead for swimming, baseball, and tennis are particularly vulnerable. Those who do repetitive lifting or overhead activities using the arm, such as paper hanging, construction, or painting are also susceptible. Pain may also develop as the result of minor trauma or spontaneously with no apparent cause. 

Impingement syndrome is a condition that only affects a few people.  Direct overhead presses wont necessarily cause the problem, but it can make it worse.  Weight lifting isnt a repetitive motion in this case.  Doing an overhead press exercise twice a week wont cause impingement.

The problem I have with non-directly over the head presses is that it takes the shoulder out of its natural alignment.  Most males have shoulders that round forward which means theyre already out of alignment.  An overhead press at a slight angle will only exacerbate that problem.  It might seem like theres less strain on your shoulders because it feels like a natural range of motion to you.

From everything ive ever been taught/read its best to do an overhead press with the shoulder blades close together and go directly upright.  From a side view, the arm should cover the ear during the movement.

The thing about impingement is it's a chronic injury. So, even if you don't feel it wearing on your shoulders at the time, it'll eventually catch up down the road. Also, it's not that you're doing overhead presses at a high volume. Rather, you're putting your shoulders in a injury prone position (from what I've learned, but obviously our educations have differed), and you're adding a lot of resistance and putting more stress on the joint while it's already in a vulnerable position.

Every exercise should be done with your shoulder blades together, and I agree that most people have shoulders that round forwards, but it's possible to press the weights up slightly forward while your shoulder blades are retracted and depressed.

ChewToy112 wrote:
The thing about impingement is it's a chronic injury. So, even if you don't feel it wearing on your shoulders at the time, it'll eventually catch up down the road. Also, it's not that you're doing overhead presses at a high volume. Rather, you're putting your shoulders in a injury prone position (from what I've learned, but obviously our educations have differed), and you're adding a lot of resistance and putting more stress on the joint while it's already in a vulnerable position.

Every exercise should be done with your shoulder blades together, and I agree that most people have shoulders that round forwards, but it's possible to press the weights up slightly forward while your shoulder blades are retracted and depressed.
Anything can be a chronic injury.  Squatting can lead to chronic knee problems.  Deadlifting can lead to chronic back problems.  Bicep curls can lead to forearm problems, etc.  You also might feel as though at an angle is good for you and is less stressful, it might catch up with you and cause more imbalances/problems in the future.  Both of those statements can be said about either viewpoint. 

To me, its not an injury prone position because everything is in alignment.  None of the supporting muscles are overstretched, the tendons are lined up and the bones are supported.

If your shoulder blades are retracted, then the natural motion should be straight up.  Anything forward and its using less of the actual shoulder muscles and more tertiary muscles.

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

wait... ive been doing my shoulder presses standing... directly over my head....

more input please other than chewtoy's because im starting to worry

LOLZ
I'm thinking I should stop them overhead upward dumbell pulls then. 

I squatted for my first time 195 yesterday and I just started squatting 190 last week. I completed all reps and sets (3x6). During the middle of today around 12-1pm my knees wasn't feeling so good
ohwell.gif
.. I guess that means I gotta go back down to 190 tommorow.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Durden since you know about supps, is beta alanine safe?

Assuming the dosage is appropriate and its not abused, its "safe".  From everything ive heard/know, theres nothing inherently dangerous about it but just like anything else it needs to be taken correctly.  Its a non-EAA so the body creates in vivo so its not a totally foreign substance.   Anything thats taken in excess will be excreted from the body.

It's effectiveness is a different story, but safety wise its as dangerous as any other supplement.

IICEMAN83 hope everything goes well bro!

For the fans of Superpump....GNC.com has a crazy deal right now.....

You can get them for about $10 a tub. Stack coupons that can easily be found online and their 'sale price' must add about 4 to get it at that price if not its about $23.
I got 5 of them, should last me all year.

Originally Posted by MEXclusive

IICEMAN83 hope everything goes well bro!

For the fans of Superpump....GNC.com has a crazy deal right now.....

You can get them for about $10 a tub. Stack coupons that can easily be found online and their 'sale price' must add about 4 to get it at that price if not its about $23.
I got 5 of them, should last me all year.
wait... could you elaborate?

what code did you use? i have 4 in my cart right now

^ what flavors did u get? Oh don't worry about the $150 apparently they count the pre sale price...Ive only had the grape sampler and was liking it. Ive heard about its nickname though "superdump" which has me alil worried but my stomach is a warrior.
I also inadvertantly just build up a Gaspari stack since they keep messing up prices. Gotta love gnc's webmaster!

What I have noticed between my shakes, is that Casein Protein powder is thicker than Whey Protein powder? Anyone else notice this..? I can put the same ingredients with the same amounts of liquids, but my Casein shake ALWAYS comes out very thick.. Is there a reason for this?

Originally Posted by MEXclusive

^ what flavors did u get? Oh don't worry about the $150 apparently they count the pre sale price...Ive only had the grape sampler and was liking it. Ive heard about its nickname though "superdump" which has me alil worried but my stomach is a warrior.
I also inadvertantly just build up a Gaspari stack since they keep messing up prices. Gotta love gnc's webmaster!
pretty much one of each. really good deal. thanks again for the heads up.
pimp.gif

ive yet to try it, so yeah im already regretting that impulsive buy a bit, LOL.

but yeah reviews so far, for the most part looks good. how'd the sample work for you?

regular price for other nitric oxide stuff is expensive because other products charge over 40 for over a pound worth.

sick.gif

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

What I have noticed between my shakes, is that Casein Protein powder is thicker than Whey Protein powder? Anyone else notice this..? I can put the same ingredients with the same amounts of liquids, but my Casein shake ALWAYS comes out very thick.. Is there a reason for this?

BECAUSE ITS THICKER.

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

it is thicker thats why if i want to get "Casein" I just drink milk before I goto sleep

Back
Top Bottom