Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Originally Posted by tkthafm

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Do you guys go to the gym in cosecutive days? It would be hard for me to go any other days other than mon-thurs but I'm reading that you should have rest days in between. Would I get better results if I tried to take off days in between?

What's your routine ?
Body part split ? in that case you can go consecutive days just hit different body parts each time. If you are doing full body workouts then you should take a day off  between for sure. I myself only lift twice a week (mon/thurs) but I'm only doing heavy compound lifts so it works out perfectly. 

I'm actually just now starting to go to the gym. Will begin going starting tomorrow but I do want to do body part split. I was just looking at the data base on the bodybuilding forum for routines that I can follow but I saw that most 4 day routines weren't consecutive. Any routines I can do while I figure out what works best for me? I want to be serious in going to the gym since I never have really gone before. I'm doing a lot of reading but its a little overwhelming so any help would be great. 
Since you're just starting I recommend you pick one of these: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/faq-update-beginner-intermediate-routines-1210858/ instead of jumping into a split routine. You'll see better results. If you insist on doing a split, maybe you can go mon/tues rest wed and then go again on thurs following a 3 day routine. I train for strength so I'm not too knowledgeable on BB routines but whatever you choose to follow should be built around the big lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press). 

scshift wrote:
Is it bad to max out every workout? I work out full body twice a week focusing on my main lifts and I've been seeing progress except my squat and deadlift have come to a stop. I've been trying to peak my 1 rep max every workout and I end up failing... should I cut down on the weight and add more reps?

Yeah, I don't see a point in maxing so often. You should only max every few months, and even then it's not necessary unless you are competing for something. Just stay in the 1-5 rep range, add weight weekly, and you will know that obviously your max is improving at the same time. You already have an idea of what your max is through your 3 or 5RM. 

I love going back to this thread everyday and seeing people improve, Im 5'10 deadlifting 265 lbs 5x5 , im 170 pounds, is that above average? average?
but my squats is a little less, is that normal?

Originally Posted by hotshots24

I love going back to this thread everyday and seeing people improve, Im 5'10 deadlifting 265 lbs 5x5 , im 170 pounds, is that above average? average?
I only do roman deadlifts, so I'm not sure if that is normal or above. However, if your squat is less than 265 then you need to work on that. 

I never was a fan of deadlifts unless I use a trap bar and my gym doesn't have one
30t6p3b.gif
- the motion of the excercise using a straight bar DL seems so unnatural to me

Originally Posted by Name I Koop

I only do roman deadlifts, so I'm not sure if that is normal or above. However, if your squat is less than 265 then you need to work on that.�

I never was a fan of deadlifts unless I use a trap bar and my gym doesn't have one
30t6p3b.gif
- the motion of the excercise using a straight bar DL seems so unnatural to me
my MAIN problem is my gym doesnt even have a squat rack, just a smith machine, and i already know how that's a piece of crap. So.... i eventually just did more deadlifting, and some 120 pound front squats.... any tips? should i stay on smith machine? or ocntinue on front squats.

Originally Posted by scshift

Is it bad to max out every workout? I work out full body twice a week focusing on my main lifts and I've been seeing progress except my squat and deadlift have come to a stop. I've been trying to peak my 1 rep max every workout and I end up failing... should I cut down on the weight and add more reps?

To be honest, I don't see the use of trying out your 1RM every workout session...it really doesn't make sense to me. Do it maybe once a month, and you will truly see results.

I'd say that 265 is a great start. Stronger than an untrained person and the average gym rat(who doesn't do lower body at all). Keep going at it consistantly and you'll see great gains.
Just to give you an idea:
  1. Most untrained people can't (safely) deadlift over 135 lbs, if even that much. They'll usually start a lot lower than that in weight.
  2. Many people can take linear progression(adding weight to the bar every time) on the deadlift all the way up to 300-400 lbs. That's a strong deadlift, no doubt. After you hit these numbers, adding weight becomes more difficult. You need to cycle through weights and volume to see a 5 or 10 lb increase. Deadlifting gets harder on your body(to recover from) as you get closer to your genetic potential.
  3. But powerlifters and some other athletes can deadlift between 500-600 lbs. or even higher. Very few people will ever get higher than this without assistive gear(straps, belt)
  4. The world record is 1008 lbs by Andy Bolton.

nealraj006 wrote:
hotshots24 wrote:
I'd say that 265 is a great start. Stronger than an untrained person and the average gym rat(who doesn't do lower body at all). Keep going at it consistantly and you'll see great gains.
Just to give you an idea:
  1. Most untrained people can't (safely) deadlift over 135 lbs, if even that much. They'll usually start a lot lower than that in weight.
  2. Many people can take linear progression(adding weight to the bar every time) on the deadlift all the way up to 300-400 lbs. That's a strong deadlift, no doubt. After you hit these numbers, adding weight becomes more difficult. You need to cycle through weights and volume to see a 5 or 10 lb increase. Deadlifting gets harder on your body(to recover from) as you get closer to your genetic potential.
  3. But powerlifters and some other athletes can deadlift between 500-600 lbs. or even higher. Very few people will ever get higher than this without assistive gear(straps, belt)
  4. The world record is 1008 lbs by Andy Bolton.

belt is not "assisted" help, its there as a precaution to back problems. 

a lower body suit used for deadlifts, is a huge assitant to weight.

even if you deadlift with a belt on, its in the category of "raw" scores.

raw > others

alot of comps for strongmen even have "clean" comps, where bloodwork and test are done to make sure you are not cycling.(obv cycled befored, but now out of system)

i dont use belts EVER

ppl use them to cheat/compensate

always keep the core tight, i dont even use a belt on my heaviest squat or deadlift days.............

if you wanna use a belt go ahead but thats just my view on them.

also i dont use no damn bar cushion when im doing squats either........if you want an explanation on that i can give you one also on WHY you shouldnt use one.

For anyone whos dont keto before, if im going to start it soon, should I just go into it or should I first reduce my carbs for 1-2 days to something like only preworkout?

Originally Posted by Al Audi

i dont use belts EVER

ppl use them to cheat/compensate

always keep the core tight, i dont even use a belt on my heaviest squat or deadlift days.............

if you wanna use a belt go ahead but thats just my view on them.

also i dont use no damn bar cushion when im doing squats either........if you want an explanation on that i can give you one also on WHY you shouldnt use one.

Same. I hate using belts and we weren't allowed to use bar cushions in football so it kind of stuck with me. 

Just picked up these bad boys for $300 off of Craig's List, brand new too with stand.
Don't even need to hit the gym anymore.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

imag0065y.jpg

Originally Posted by Al Audi

if you want an explanation on that i can give you one also on WHY you shouldnt use one.
Why is that then??...

apart from being deemed a ({}) of course
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom