STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

We were talking about macro calculators not too long ago, here's a bulking calculator. This guy is awesome, pretty funny :lol:
Calculator in video description

So if I am looking to continue to bulk but/and want to see development in my abs, how should I go about that? In terms of dieting?

Regarding taking sugar with protein...

Can I just mix 1-2 teaspoons of sugar with my protein? If yes, is 1-2 teaspoons sufficient or should I decrease/increase?

isnt there a bunch of sugar in the protein powder already
Not enough sugar. Theres only a few grams.

Regarding taking sugar with protein...
Can I just mix 1-2 teaspoons of sugar with my protein? If yes, is 1-2 teaspoons sufficient or should I decrease/increase?

Ive never tried it, but in theory I dont see why it wouldnt be just as effective. Why wouldnt you just mix it with gatorade,juice, or milk? Gatorade and milk have other nutrients besides the sugar.

im doing it but mines different im not working out then having my first meal after. i work out at night so it wont work.

i fast from 8pm-12pm the next day

im doing it but mines different im not working out then having my first meal after. i work out at night so it wont work.
i fast from 8pm-12pm the next day

Mine is blended..Part Leangains, part normal IF...

I don't follow it all exactly either because at the end of the day it's all about Calories in vs. Calories out depending on if you're Cutting, Bulking or maintaining. I do find that if I lift before I eat anything it doesn't effect my performance in the gym. I do need to eat before I do my boxing workout tho.

Ya'll talking about mixing protein powder with gatorade? GATORADE?!
sick.gif

Ya'll talking about mixing protein powder with gatorade? GATORADE?! :x

This is how I feel. I won't mix Gatorade with protein...that's just :x to me. As for milk, I go to the gym late at night and I'd rather not have milk sitting there for an hour or longer.

Which is why I asked about sugar since it would be the easiest for me...

so debunk some of this 'broscience". dont just say it and then not point it out dunny.

thats what losers do.

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about the sugar/protein debate. I've been reading since last night...

The people who say it's important seem to usually work out in the morning/during the day so they would need carbs for the rest of the day. However, I work at night and my workouts are one of the last things I do.

Also, the amount of sugar/carbs people are throwing out seem too much. Some say 1g sugar per 1g protein post workout...others say a tablespoon is fine.

Then, I find some of these while reading around.

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept (which I believe Layne agrees with). Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for up to 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

Every one of these replies is poor. There is absolutely no requirement for carbs of any sort post workout, it's completely optional. It will not increase muscle gain and basically no bodybuilder will ever deplete glycogen during a typical workout (requires 60 minutes non stop work on the same muscle, no resting).

The fast carbs after a workout is part of the typical broscience magazines like to preach in order to sell more copies and supplement companies are more than happy to indulge as they can then sell "carb supplements".

Have whatever you'd like post workout, be it a protein shake, a full meal, protein + carbs, it will make next to zero difference.

:lol:

You do need to restore glycogen levels asap after intense training:

I take in 40 grams of protein and 75 grams of carbs in the form of gummy bears.

After reading around, I'l take a maximum of 2 teaspoons of sugar per protein shake. Calorie wise, it won't interfere too heavily but it can't hurt.

Last edited:
Ya'll talking about mixing protein powder with gatorade? GATORADE?! :x

Agreed. :x I will never even bother trying that.

But yeah, the 'window' of when you need protein post-workout is so exaggerated. Just meet your protein requirements for the day and you'll be fine. :smile:

And as for sugar and protein, I just add a tbsp of honey to my shake.

so debunk some of this 'broscience". dont just say it and then not point it out dunny.

thats what losers do.
I never said it was wrong.

Im just saying some people look way too much into it. Just take the protein or eat lean foods loaded with protein. Balanced diet and a consistent workout is more important in my opinion than either deciding whether to take your protein with water/milk/gatorade.

I need some type of workout that wont bulk me up. Want to reduce bodyfat and get more of lean muscle development. Trying to put together some form of running and insanity combo type of workout. Anyone do anything like this?

I need to change my diet as well. I dont eat a ton of junk food. But smaller meals and more often is what i need to do. My big vice is soda. Need to cut it out.

Back
Top Bottom