STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Need to start working out . just turned 29 grew up skating and playing bball , used to be able to dunk one handed but this year I started feeling myself losing my athleticism .

Should I do p90x ? (Think it’s three months) or just do push-ups and squats with my own stretches for warm up ? I can do 50 push-ups straight , proper ones before I feel like jelly . Eventually can join some homies who lift at the gym but right now I want to get into my own regimen and stay dedicated for a couple months , getting my body back into shale before lifting

6’0 165

Just hit the gym papi. Why lift at home like a prisoner?

You’ll have way more fun than doing push-ups and pull ups.

Do strong lifts 5x5 and do the push ups and pull ups on the side if you want. Eat plenty and make gains.

Remember, most gym newbies find the gym intimidating when they first start. That's what this sounds like to me.

Doing push-ups and pull-ups will do very little to get you a decent physique. Brb not working many major muscle groups, including legs.

Co sign this

Why u wanna get into shape first before going to the gym lol. That’s what the gym is for. You’re just delaying results. Check the ego at the door and put in work, nobody really cares if your numbers are weak. It’s just about your journey bro

Remember, most gym newbies find the gym intimidating when they first start. That's what this sounds like to me.

Doing push-ups and pull-ups will do very little to get you a decent physique. Brb not working many major muscle groups, including legs.

Co sign this

Why u wanna get into shape first before going to the gym lol. That’s what the gym is for. You’re just delaying results. Check the ego at the door and put in work, nobody really cares if your numbers are weak. It’s just about your journey bro

Lol I’m not afraid of going , it’s a lot different than going alone which could be overwhelming - I got 2 friends who go , but the few times I went (using their bring a friend in pass thing) I felt like i was slowing em down . . They would be hitting big numbers and would have to switch out the weight for me to do my sets etc . They kept saying it’s not an issue and they were lowkey hyped that I was going with em , but I just felt like a burden . Damn should I just get the pass . . It’s been a month and they keep asking

Also forgot to mention I have a bench press in the garage my uncle left here when he moved , and one of those angled bars (as opposed to the straight bar on the bench) + a bunch of weights

Lol I’m not afraid of going , it’s a lot different than going alone which could be overwhelming - I got 2 friends who go , but the few times I went (using their bring a friend in pass thing) I felt like i was slowing em down . . They would be hitting big numbers and would have to switch out the weight for me to do my sets etc . They kept saying it’s not an issue and they were lowkey hyped that I was going with em , but I just felt like a burden . Damn should I just get the pass . . It’s been a month and they keep asking

Also forgot to mention I have a bench press in the garage my uncle left here when he moved , and one of those angled bars (as opposed to the straight bar on the bench) + a bunch of weights

Sounds like you’re self-sabotaging yourself to me. Seems like they want you around but you’re removing yourself anyway? Just go with them. Sounds like they’re experienced enough to help you along.

I would also say set a clear goal. People who “just wanna get back in shape” spin their wheels a lot because they have no clear goals. Without any, you have nothing clear to work toward which strains your discipline/motivation and how do you program for a goal that doesn’t exist? What parameters are you using to track your progress? There’s countless ways to exercise, lose weight, add strength, and muscle tissue. Create a goal that’s more specific. Once you have the end goal in mind just reverse engineer it from there.

Sounds like you’re self-sabotaging yourself to me. Seems like they want you around but you’re removing yourself anyway? Just go with them. Sounds like they’re experienced enough to help you along.

I would also say set a clear goal. People who “just wanna get back in shape” spin their wheels a lot because they have no clear goals. Without any, you have nothing clear to work toward which strains your discipline/motivation and how do you program for a goal that doesn’t exist? What parameters are you using to track your progress? There’s countless ways to exercise, lose weight, add strength, and muscle tissue. Create a goal that’s more specific. Once you have the end goal in mind just reverse engineer it from there.

I feel ya “just get back in shape” is kind of vague and too open ended . They go 5-6 times a week one goes early one goes late so I got no excuse . Last time I went with em they got some of my maxes and I remember I could bench my own weight , forgot the other ones tho

**** it ima get a pass since they got those new year deals

Thanks y’all will check back in a couple months

Working out with a friend is cool but its better to workout by yourself. You end up making excuses when ur bros cant go.

I would go regardless, but I prefer to be on my own. I know a guy at work that invites me to his powerlifting gym. Guy is strong af and their equipment is probably slightly better than the stuff at my club. Plus have company like that pushes me more and I get a spotter on bench.

Yet I’m still hesitant. I just like being on my own schedule, at my own pace, not having to worry about what someone else is doing.

had some guy do that at my gym, there was no way they were made to wear out like that without shorts over em.

it was really weird
Seems we had a discussion about this earlier in this thread. It's just foul for a dude to do that in public.

Pump work

Incline db 5x10
Flat db 5x10

Hammer strength plate loaded incline and flat supersets.
4x 8-12 x 8-12

Db fly incline
5x10

Flat
5x10

Hammer curl drop sets super set with body weight dips to fail x3 rounds

Working out with a friend is cool but its better to workout by yourself. You end up making excuses when ur bros cant go.
I’ve had 3 workout partners within the span of 11 years. All 3 end up parting ways becuase I have to go when I can and you either roll with it or not. Not anything personal, I just have things going on.

Nothing wrong with working out with someone. You just gotta work out with the right people.

Sometimes it’s cool working in with a stranger if you guys both go hard sometimes you just gotta leave him the machine and say you’re done. :lol:

Like goin dolo too bringin someone is even worse if they’re dependent on you. It’s my me time, whatever beats I want as quick as I’m tryna cycle through or not.

I think my metabolism is dying. Been 3 weeks of less carbs. Rice chicken oatmeal sweet potatoes fish. Lost maybe 3 lbs. Cardio has increased to 30.
Next step increasing to 40 min cardio. Dropping another 30-40 grams of carbs. See what happens. Im trying to drop 20 - 25lbs by April

My best workout partner was one of my female friends who's in the competitive circuit . We had the same workouts. Same amount of cardio and she was strong.
Its all about if someone matches your intensity.
Ive worked out with some dudes that were stronger. More ripped than me. But our workout ideology was way different. They threw me off my plan a lot.

Why did I commit to this seven day fast, yo? I'm almost 57 hours in and and my PR is only 66, but I thought I could go into God Mode and do an entire week. I've been skipping the gym to do this, too. I almost just want to eat one of my regular meals, get some sleep, and get back to my usual workouts tomorrow.

This s*** is a mental battle.

10lbs down, though!

Last edited:
I'm going on a strict diet starting January 1st 2019.. I got to empty out the refrigerator first that's why I didnt start today.

I ate shrimp stuffed trout, foie gras stuffed quail and beef tar tar tonight for my first dinner.

Then went home and fired up the ol Webber and threw on some jerk chicken I had marinating.

New Years resolution is a 6 plate dead lift at 175 pounds.

318866A1-8EE6-4185-B45E-8ED5F6DFD7C5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom