STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

i wanna bulk so bad but i dont wanna lose my 6 pack :x :smh:

Lean bulk and you won't completely lose 'em. Find a moderate surplus and proceed.
Best article I've seen on bulking efficiently:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Yep. Bulk at 200-300 cals over maintenance if you want to remain at a lower bf% (calories may vary since everyone is different). People say that they've bulked on Intermittent Fasting and it can work, if that's your thing. I'm trying to cut down to ~ 8-10% bf and then lean bulk so I'll gain around 1-2 lbs a month. On my previous bulk I was gaining about 1 lb/week which I think is too much since I gained more body fat than I wanted. It's easy to gain weight, but it's hard to gain lean body mass without proper exercise/diet as a natural.

aren't you an mma fighter or something like that? I'd like to get involved, just dont have the time between work, school, driving, working out, and women
you do BJJ/mma right? I want to start lifting again but i'm not trying to be sore for bjj..did it before and it was
sick.gif
sick.gif
.. what would you recommend?
i havent competed since i split my eyebrow in late 2010 and needed 20 stitches.

and yeah lifting while doing intense martial arts is difficult. which is why i only lift twice a week when im really going hard in training.

if your joints are started to stiffen up on you (PAWS) i recommend Glucosamine, has helped me alot

and believe it or not: YOGA! before i started doing yoga and intense stretching routines i was just this goofy bulky guy with a little highschool wrestling experience

now i can high kick with both legs, pull rubber-guard, and all sorts of high-dexterity moves that i would have NEVER been able to do without a solid stretching routine.

consistency with your cardio (anaerobic cardio especially, gotta condition your heart for those bursts) is also the only way you'll be good in any martial art in my opinion because its SO DAMN CARDIOVASULAR HEAVY!

it helps that im not a big drinker either. i only have one vice

[Nas] i blow so much trees, i make environmentalists angry [/nas]

its honestly the only way ill do any form of cardio now is if ive properly toked. ive mentioned pre-herb cardio before and i will continue to stand by it as the most entertaining way to do any sort of distance running (even sprinting). especially if you can "lose yourself in the music" so to speak.

even when i train, i come into the facility blazed every now and then and my teammates know it
laugh.gif

sober cardio is for the birds. 
Does anybody do squats back to back days? Just wondering...
full out barbell squats? my CNS would be too fried to do back-to-back squat days. not to mention the soreness from squat day 1.

Last edited:
Does anybody do squats back to back days? Just wondering...

I have done it before during Smolov(4x squat per week) but the only people I know that routinely squat multiple times per week are oly lifters. IMO you should space out your squat workouts.

For those of you who are mixing a protein powder with only water, you're missing out on better glycogen and protein uptake within the muscle.

even when i train, i come into the facility blazed every now and then and my teammates know it
laugh.gif

sober cardio is for the birds. 
 crazy, ive been trying to get bk in shape this summer...left the army maxing out all pt tests(3 years ago), now i cantdo 30 straight push ups without burning out...but the worse is when i try to run...even balling, i notice i dont find that second wind anymore...how do u balance the ganj and working out?? ive let mary j win this battle too long now...

ive never been a super in shape 6 pack type dude, but i left the army at age 21 at 185lbs 5'11..not in athlete shape but far from out...now im 220, and everytime i run into somebody from high school its always 'damn kidd, u got fat'..lol..

is bike riding as good as running as far as stamina/burning lbs is concerned?? 

and another thing...while smoking, how do u not give in to the urges of oatmeal pies and double cheeseburgers after?? my girl tried buying 'healthy snacks' for when im smacked but even when im high i dont want that crap...

crazy, ive been trying to get bk in shape this summer...left the army maxing out all pt tests(3 years ago), now i cantdo 30 straight push ups without burning out...but the worse is when i try to run...even balling, i notice i dont find that second wind anymore...how do u balance the ganj and working out?? ive let mary j win this battle too long now...

ive never been a super in shape 6 pack type dude, but i left the army at age 21 at 185lbs 5'11..not in athlete shape but far from out...now im 220, and everytime i run into somebody from high school its always 'damn kidd, u got fat'..lol..

is bike riding as good as running as far as stamina/burning lbs is concerned?? 

and another thing...while smoking, how do u not give in to the urges of oatmeal pies and double cheeseburgers after?? my girl tried buying 'healthy snacks' for when im smacked but even when im high i dont want that crap...
ive only been doing "herbal cardio" (as it shall henceforth be known as) for about a year and a half. Before that,  exercising was the last thing i wanted to do after engaging in such activities. 
laugh.gif
 nowadays i just force myself to not let it interfere with anything else. Takes some patience, but doable.

running definitely works the heart harder i feel and is a superior form of cardio.

although swimming is even more superior than running and is probably the most grueling form of aerobic cardio that one can do. i last summer i was really into swimming and i really felt that it helped in other avenues of cardiovascular activity as well, as my runs were going by much smoother and with less resistance from my lungs.

I used to be really bad with the snacking too, but i usually burned enough calories in the day to where it usually didnt affect me. i stopped working out for a while and ate the same way and it definitely caught up to me, never again.

I eat a Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD, google it for those interested) these days and the extra fat intake keeps me pretty full. the hunger pains i would get from smoking while on a regular lower-fat higher-carb diet would be unbearable. these days its not even an issue at all.

Can you elaborate a little more on this?
protein synthesis. i believe the way it works is that because since sugar is the most simple carbohydrate out there, the body breaks it down into glucose at the fastest rate (in comparison to say, sweet potatoes, which are broken down much slower)

after weightlifting, your muscle fibers are torn and need to be repaired post-workout in order to begin the growth and recovery process immediately.

by consuming whey protein mixed with a simple-sugar based drink, the simple carbohydrates will be able to carry the protein grams to where they need to go at a much faster rate, since simple carbs break down so quickly. 

Of course,  this is a very nutshell version of it.

Durden, wouldnt milk be a little counterproductive with the lactose slowing down the absorption rate?

Last edited:

Yeah sure.

So exercise makes all cells more receptive to insulin. Insulin helps synthesize muscle protein and muscle glycogen at a much higher rate than without the aid of insulin.

It also aids in the transport of glucose into cells so that it can be converted into glycogen (which is the stored form of carbohydrates and is broken down for energy.) Insulin also increases the uptake of amino acids into the muscle thereby decreasing the protein breakdown which occurs during/after exercise due to the rise in cortisol.

Essentially, to get the most out of a protein supplement, it needs to be taken with a form of sugar. Without the sugar, the amount of protein thats actually used by the body is decreased.

Hope that makes sense for you.

Durden, wouldnt milk be a little counterproductive with the lactose slowing down the absorption rate?

The rate of absorption isnt slow enough to have an effect.

Milk has the best ratio of carbs to protein and the "window" for absorption is so large that the lactose is broken down into glucose well within that time frame.

should I take one scoop of protein before working out and one scoop after....or two scoops of protein after working out?

Question -

I plan on moving working out from late night usually 9pm after work and so forth to early morning 6-7 AM

id assume it would be bad to get that early to the gym on an empty stomach, what can i eat that would benefit me but wont make me feel :x my gym is only 5 mins away and it wont have alot of time to digest / process food.

thanks.

unless of course i can do the empty stomach thing and just eat afterwards :nerd:

^ light snack (banana, yogurt, or oatmeal) or a protein shake

I read somewhere that a cup of coffee before your workout will make it less painful and therefore make you work out harder

protein synthesis. i believe the way it works is that because since sugar is the most simple carbohydrate out there, the body breaks it down into glucose at the fastest rate (in comparison to say, sweet potatoes, which are broken down much slower)

after weightlifting, your muscle fibers are torn and need to be repaired post-workout in order to begin the growth and recovery process immediately.

by consuming whey protein mixed with a simple-sugar based drink, the simple carbohydrates will be able to carry the protein grams to where they need to go at a much faster rate, since simple carbs break down so quickly. 

Okay...after my workouts I use Dark Matter which has good amount of carbs, then hour later a protein shake with almond milk.

Just wondering, is that good? Just looking to see if anybody has better options

^ light snack (banana, yogurt, or oatmeal) or a protein shake
I read somewhere that a cup of coffee before your workout will make it less painful and therefore make you work out harder

One of the proposed benefits of caffeine is a reduced perception of pain. I think a lot of it is mostly mental though.
Question -
I plan on moving working out from late night usually 9pm after work and so forth to early morning 6-7 AM
id assume it would be bad to get that early to the gym on an empty stomach, what can i eat that would benefit me but wont make me feel :x my gym is only 5 mins away and it wont have alot of time to digest / process food.
thanks.
unless of course i can do the empty stomach thing and just eat afterwards :nerd:
Nuts, Bananas, Orange, Milk, Yogurt, Apples. Truthfully, any fruit/vegetable.

should I take one scoop of protein before working out and one scoop after....or two scoops of protein after working out?

Depends on when the last time ate was. If youve eaten something that has protein in it a few hours pre exercise, then dont bother taking any supplement before you workout.

which is why im sure some people have said to eat a banana after you workout then take your whey.

i honestly think it works and i did it for like a month then stopped for some reason but im gonna start doing it again.

Back
Top Bottom