Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

wj4-strong reps...that's just lingo over at bb.com. i though you were a lurker. strong reps is props

joe cam-if you plan on buying bio forge, let me know if it helps you. i never thought about using a test booster, i still don't think i have reasonto...but let me know if it works out for you

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by wj4

wj4, insulin is an anabolic hormone that limits the mobilization of fat as energy. The more insulin produced and in the blood, the less fat is used for energy. During low intensity work, the body prefers fat as fuel, but if there is a lot of insulin in the blood, it can't mobilize the fat. Switch out high carb foods for high fat foods. Avocados instead of rice, nuts instead of oats.
Cool. I already eat stuff that's high in good fats ie avocados, nuts, peanut butter. I will give it a try next week. Will wait for my wheat bread to run out first.
laugh.gif

I've heard about these low carb diet way back in 2004 or so when I took food nutrition course in college. The thing is that people thing they can eat all the fatty foods they want if the carb is low...
laugh.gif
They didn't spot the major flaw.
I mean, there are some things that you'd want to minimize, like saturated fats and avoid like trans fats. The thing is, when most people go low carb, they substitute with unhealthy alternatives. Instead of sugar, they'll use splenda, not stevia. Eating fibrous vegetables, nuts, oils, seeds, and meats will help you out. They're mostly healthy and a lot better than the typical North American diet.
For bread, you should look at/try sprouted bread. It's great stuff. Healthier, lower GI, etc. It's definitely more expensive though and it doesn't last as long because it has no preservatives. Around $4 a loaf

Low carb diets are always dangerous though. If its just lower end of the recommended amount low (45% of total calories) then thats one thing, but a strictly low carb diet is never a good thing in my book.

Im 50/50 on carbs. There are days when you train and you need the energy, so oatmeal etc. to me is essential for getting the most out of my training. However on off-days I keep carbs to a minimum (60-90g) and just raise my fats. However, whatever you'll eat there will be some trace carbs. A typical training day would be around 30%-40% of carbs, off day around 20%.

The first thing you should do before going low carb is to identify WHEN to eat them and WHAT to eat. After that you can tweak them. I go for low-GI pre workout, then high-GI post and a meal late might be low-GI. At mid-afternoon its all bout fiburous(sp) carbs (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc..)
30-40% on training days is incredddibly low. To me it's too low even for a non training day.

The whole GI thing im skeptical about as well. The more I research GI i've come to the conclusion that it doesnt play a large role in anything.
have you read up on it's effect on insulin and other metabolic related hormones like leptin, IGF-1, etc? in general, the higher the GI, the faster blood sugar spikes, and the greater the release of insulin and associated hormones. most of the time, that's something to avoid, because large excesses of energy storage lead to adipose tissue generation. time wise, if you consume high GI foods close to training sessions, the insulin receptors in your muscles are far more activated, so energy and nutrients are directed mainly towards these tissues for rebuilding and repair. consistently high levels of high GI foods can lower insulin sensitivity and cause type II diabetes. fats, protein, and fiber tend to slow down the absorption of high GI foods, although these foods will also trigger a release of insulin, though not as much as carbohydrates in general.

processed grains and sugars are very high GI, and are found in a large number of things people eat all the time. the rise in the amount of processed foods in the western diet coincides with the rise of the obesity epidemic.

So what would you recommend? 30-40% is pretty low for me, im looking to increase it shortly. Just afraid of weight gain. But i've heard it does preventmuscle loss, so if your eating at a deficit, then carbs are a must. I think a 40/40/20 is perfect.

I've just read on BB.com that many prefer high GI after training, as that insulin spike is where high GI carbs are best consumed. Pre-workout, its low GIas is throughout the day.

Im experimenting with dextrose atm PWO. Previously i've done oats/whole grain bread which are low GI. So whatever works for me, i'll either keep oneor eliminate the other.

Another question, after a game of ball or training, is it also beneficial to consume a PWO shake i.e. pro/carbs? What if your training is held at night andfinishes late? And what do you suggest to drink in between games like during a tournament for instance? carbs im assuming..

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by wj4

wj4, insulin is an anabolic hormone that limits the mobilization of fat as energy. The more insulin produced and in the blood, the less fat is used for energy. During low intensity work, the body prefers fat as fuel, but if there is a lot of insulin in the blood, it can't mobilize the fat. Switch out high carb foods for high fat foods. Avocados instead of rice, nuts instead of oats.
Cool. I already eat stuff that's high in good fats ie avocados, nuts, peanut butter. I will give it a try next week. Will wait for my wheat bread to run out first.
laugh.gif

I've heard about these low carb diet way back in 2004 or so when I took food nutrition course in college. The thing is that people thing they can eat all the fatty foods they want if the carb is low...
laugh.gif
They didn't spot the major flaw.
I mean, there are some things that you'd want to minimize, like saturated fats and avoid like trans fats. The thing is, when most people go low carb, they substitute with unhealthy alternatives. Instead of sugar, they'll use splenda, not stevia. Eating fibrous vegetables, nuts, oils, seeds, and meats will help you out. They're mostly healthy and a lot better than the typical North American diet.
For bread, you should look at/try sprouted bread. It's great stuff. Healthier, lower GI, etc. It's definitely more expensive though and it doesn't last as long because it has no preservatives. Around $4 a loaf

Low carb diets are always dangerous though. If its just lower end of the recommended amount low (45% of total calories) then thats one thing, but a strictly low carb diet is never a good thing in my book.

Im 50/50 on carbs. There are days when you train and you need the energy, so oatmeal etc. to me is essential for getting the most out of my training. However on off-days I keep carbs to a minimum (60-90g) and just raise my fats. However, whatever you'll eat there will be some trace carbs. A typical training day would be around 30%-40% of carbs, off day around 20%.

The first thing you should do before going low carb is to identify WHEN to eat them and WHAT to eat. After that you can tweak them. I go for low-GI pre workout, then high-GI post and a meal late might be low-GI. At mid-afternoon its all bout fiburous(sp) carbs (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc..)
30-40% on training days is incredddibly low. To me it's too low even for a non training day.

The whole GI thing im skeptical about as well. The more I research GI i've come to the conclusion that it doesnt play a large role in anything.
have you read up on it's effect on insulin and other metabolic related hormones like leptin, IGF-1, etc? in general, the higher the GI, the faster blood sugar spikes, and the greater the release of insulin and associated hormones. most of the time, that's something to avoid, because large excesses of energy storage lead to adipose tissue generation. time wise, if you consume high GI foods close to training sessions, the insulin receptors in your muscles are far more activated, so energy and nutrients are directed mainly towards these tissues for rebuilding and repair. consistently high levels of high GI foods can lower insulin sensitivity and cause type II diabetes. fats, protein, and fiber tend to slow down the absorption of high GI foods, although these foods will also trigger a release of insulin, though not as much as carbohydrates in general.

processed grains and sugars are very high GI, and are found in a large number of things people eat all the time. the rise in the amount of processed foods in the western diet coincides with the rise of the obesity epidemic.

So what would you recommend? 30-40% is pretty low for me, im looking to increase it shortly. Just afraid of weight gain. But i've heard it does prevent muscle loss, so if your eating at a deficit, then carbs are a must. I think a 40/40/20 is perfect.

I've just read on BB.com that many prefer high GI after training, as that insulin spike is where high GI carbs are best consumed. Pre-workout, its low GI as is throughout the day.

Im experimenting with dextrose atm PWO. Previously i've done oats/whole grain bread which are low GI. So whatever works for me, i'll either keep one or eliminate the other.

Another question, after a game of ball or training, is it also beneficial to consume a PWO shake i.e. pro/carbs? What if your training is held at night and finishes late? And what do you suggest to drink in between games like during a tournament for instance? carbs im assuming..

Yeah I know what the GI Index is and what it does, but theres still no evidence that it has any effect on body weight and training. It's just a conceptthat individuals have translated over to the weight training world. It's only another way to describe a food. Theres a LOT of flaws with the GI index andit really has no effect on training.

The minimum % of carbs should be 45% and I normally stay around the 50% range. I try to keep my macronutrient distribution at 50/30/20 (c/p/f). If youreworking out regularly then you dont have to worry about weight gain. The notion that carbohydrates causes weight gain is something that began and people ranwith it.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by wj4

So what would you recommend? 30-40% is pretty low for me, im looking to increase it shortly. Just afraid of weight gain. But i've heard it does prevent muscle loss, so if your eating at a deficit, then carbs are a must. I think a 40/40/20 is perfect.

I've just read on BB.com that many prefer high GI after training, as that insulin spike is where high GI carbs are best consumed. Pre-workout, its low GI as is throughout the day.

Im experimenting with dextrose atm PWO. Previously i've done oats/whole grain bread which are low GI. So whatever works for me, i'll either keep one or eliminate the other.

Another question, after a game of ball or training, is it also beneficial to consume a PWO shake i.e. pro/carbs? What if your training is held at night and finishes late? And what do you suggest to drink in between games like during a tournament for instance? carbs im assuming..
i don't think i know enough to recommend a specific percentage carbs or anything. a doctor i follow makes a strong argument that people canhave very different base nutritional needs (carb dominant, protein dominant, split carb/protein, etc.), so what works for a carb dominant person wouldn'twork well for a protein dominant person, etc.

i agree with high GI post workout. it creates an insulin spike right when your muscles are most sensitive to it. i also go low GI for the rest of the day,barring breakfast-- i've read after waking, your body is in a fasting state (hence break-fast), and you tend to be more insulin sensitive throughout yourbody, instead of preferentially converting excess blood nutrients into adipose tissue.

as far a late night sessions of bball or workouts (something i've had a lot of experience with haha) i usually have a protein/carb shake or meal, or both,but i try to stay awake for 3 hours afterwards if possible to make sure i'm still awake while it starts to get absorbed. it's not strictly scientific,but i think less of it will be converted to fat. there's a lot of hormonal metabolic differences between awake and asleep states that i don't knowmuch about, but generally, if you keep your late night pwo shake/meal moderate in calories, you'll be good. it's definitely better than not eatinganything.

between games a high GI carb works pretty well for me, and i try to have a fast-digesting protein (whey is great in this regard), especially if the gap betweengames isn't too long. if that's the case, i'd do a typical pwo shake/meal, and a small meal at least an hour before the next game.

Wj4 I posted what I'm doing for intake these days a few pages back ill have to dig it up again. Joe why you worried about a test booster at age 20?

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Wj4 I posted what I'm doing for intake these days a few pages back ill have to dig it up again. Joe why you worried about a test booster at age 20?
too much trees? lol does weed lower test levels?

Originally Posted by I3

Based on that, wouldn't it be beneficial to take in simple carbs pre-workout?

Originally Posted by I3

Based on that, wouldn't it be beneficial to take in simple carbs pre-workout?
not exactly... simple carbs are good pre-workout and mid-workout to give you an energy spike which will help maintain your workout intensity orkeep you going for longer. if you take them too soon though, it's becomes more likely that a portion will be stored as fat. if you're not sure if youcan start your workout right away, you'll be better off with complex carbs. they are converted and absorbed more slowly more for a more stable supply ofenergy.

PanaRican, I've heard that if you take a high protein meal directly after a workout, then it may interfere with hydration and that directly after a workout, you should just take some simple carbs. Then, about 30 - 15 minutes, you should take a high protein meal. Is this true?

Anyone?

Sup dudes, I have been lurking in this thread for a minute but never posted in it. I just sprung on BSN's Mass Stack Elite. That's a lot of dough onsupplements. Here's my quick story. I'm on Gymtechnik.com Superhero Body workout. 5 days a week with rest on Sat/Sun. I take a multivitamin everymorning and a shot of protein after each workout. I try to eat as healthy as I can but have hit a plateau so I'm trying to take it to the next level.I'm 5'6" and weigh 117. I have very low % body fat last time I checked and my girl and friends say I'm pretty cut but I'm trying to put onmore size and gain more strength. I'm starting it tomorrow so I'll keep you all updated with results on if it's worth the buy. Now if I could onlyquit smoking and do more cardio I would be in the best shape of my life. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

i dunno im impatient and stupid.....i got real frustated on my cut i hate feeling weak and seeing my lifts plataeu.....im back on a bulk tho so ihave more energy and strength now

i crushed the weights today (chest day) and i was feeling like ehhh i really dont need it. then i see dudes benching 4 plates for reps and im thinking maybe ido.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

heres the label

What's in Biotivia Bio Forge?[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]84 VCaps[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Supplement Facts[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Serving Size:2Capsules[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Forslean (20% Forskolin)[/td] [td]250mg[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Epimedium (40% Icariin)[/td] [td]400mg[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Indole-3-Carbinol[/td] [td]300mg[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OptiZinc[/td] [td]50mg[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Other Ingredients:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]None, No Fillers, Silica, Or Magnesium. All Vegetable Pfizer Capsules.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

eric- nah i dont think weed lowers test levels, if so i will cut back a lot though. i think it reduces aggression and i know it changes brain composition aftera while.

herman- i'd rather eat dirt than a bsn supp, thart company is pure trash. also dont rely on weight gainers unless youre really unable to eat enough realfood.

^yeah dude, you need that RUTHLESS AGRESSION to get through it. lay off that stuff. where do you live for you to be that into weed? lol
i wasn't ruthless today though, my knee started acting up, but i did what i wanted.
some chick thought i was trying to hit on her when i asked how many more sets she has on the leg extensions. like, cmon, your not that hot. she had a nice buttthough

Originally Posted by ericescobar

^yeah dude, you need that RUTHLESS AGRESSION to get through it. lay off that stuff. where do you live for you to be that into weed? lol
i wasn't ruthless today though, my knee started acting up, but i did what i wanted.
some chick thought i was trying to hit on her when i asked how many more sets she has on the leg extensions. like, cmon, your not that hot. she had a nice butt though

How do you know she thought you were hitting on her?
laugh.gif

nealraj006 wrote:
PanaRican, I've heard that if you take a high protein meal directly after a workout, then it may interfere with hydration and that directly after a workout, you should just take some simple carbs. Then, about 30 - 15 minutes, you should take a high protein meal. Is this true?

Anyone?

Huh? No, not necessarily. You should be drinking water during your workout to stay hydrated, and usually post workout, you want some simplecarbs to spike insulin and promote muscle growth, but more importantly you want a quick stream of aminos into your system to promote repair to the muscle thatwas broken down during training. I think by high protein meal, they may be referring to a high calorie meal with too many complex carbs and too much fat. Simple carbs, fast-digesting protein. That's your best bet right after you train. And yeah, drink alot of water.

Someone mentioned purchasing an ab roller for 10 bucks or under?

Could you please tell me where? Ebay??? And which one is best?

durden7
she thought i asked her how much longer she was going to be at the gym. she was probably thinking i was camping out to snatch her as soon as she left. i thinkshe felt kinda dumb because after she was done using the machine, after i had worked in also, she said "thanks" to me. like, why? she just thought iwas some gym-goer trying to hit on chicks. lol people do that to me for some reason, just say thanks for no reason. the hell did i provide you with? I shouldhave said thanks. just weird, anyway that's my story. thank you for smoking.

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

I don't think it matters because it's just a handle bar with a wheel attached to it. You can check your local stores like Sport Chalet. I know my local one has it for $15.

Random thought...you guys think athletes worry much about what they eat? I'd like to think that on a work out day, they burn off thousands of cals easilyso they wouldn't care much on counting the cals on everything they eat.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ericescobar

some chick thought i was trying to hit on her when i asked how many more sets she has on the leg extensions. like, cmon, your not that hot. she had a nice butt though
im from la but live in sd

im not really "into it" but have too many friends who are.....free, great quality weed + assortment of roors means me smoking at least once every dayrecently

i dunno though when it comes to the gym im still amped i dont think it really takes anything out of me. one dude i know who smokes like 3x + a day every singleday lifts way more than me and has a good 20 lbs on me so ehhh

wow, everyday? wow.

everyday? lol naw, yeah there are people that can handle it, but i doubt they will be saying that in 10 years.
my giants beat the padres btw

sox fan over here
wink.gif
pimp.gif
......im actually "from" as in born and raised in boston but i dont spend much time out there anymore

still a boston sports fan til i die though......sox pats celts always been a fan even thru the bad times

everyone smokes out here tho, parents kids etc. its no big deal once every day imo its not even a drug in my mind

i'm just saying, but boston fans are obnoxious lol the sox won those world series on test boosters and havok cycles lol

i know it's not early october just yet, but i feel i need to post a pic.

it's sucky because i wanted to be quick fast in the locker room, ya know

my cotdman farmer's tan is really annoying. like, when i'm barely out of the shower and i have that gloss, i can really see my progress, but this picsucks. anyway, just warming up for the NT MR. Olympia lol

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

I don't think it matters because it's just a handle bar with a wheel attached to it. You can check your local stores like Sport Chalet. I know my local one has it for $15.

Random thought...you guys think athletes worry much about what they eat? I'd like to think that on a work out day, they burn off thousands of cals easily so they wouldn't care much on counting the cals on everything they eat.
laugh.gif
Probably true. If you remember during the finals they showed how much candy Lamar Odom ate and he's still in great shape

Back
Top Bottom