Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Is it true that NCAA athletes can't even consume protein shakes these days??
eek.gif
eek.gif

I went to the gym today, finally.. Feel real good..

Half mile warm up (on track)

3x12,10,8
flat bench dumbbell press
flat bench dumbbell flies
incline dumbbell press
cable machine flies
some other bench type machine

20 mins on elliptical

Is anyone else training to get back into shape for a sport? I'm trying to figure out a plan which will help me for basketball.. if any of you guys playthen i'd be interested to see what your workout routines are like..

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

eek.gif
eek.gif

3x12,10,8
incline dumbbell press
cable machine flies

20 mins on elliptical
I believe you're the one with the size 38 waistline and trying to lose weight, right? 20 mins on the elip and .5 mile running seems too softto see results in a timely manner. I'd lift less and do 45-60 mins of hardcore cardio. (assuming you don't have the time to spend all day in the gymand something has to give).

I asked this in the thread in S&T but there seems to be more active members monitoring this thread so I'll ask here again.

What is a good amount of carbohydrates a day in terms of grams?
I don't want to oversold myself so I'll just say for someone who does a bit of cardio/activity 30-60 minutes a day.

I read something that protein should be taken 45 mins after workout and that the body needs carbs first? correct?

Originally Posted by RFX45

I asked this in the thread in S&T but there seems to be more active members monitoring this thread so I'll ask here again.

I don't want to oversold myself so I'll just say for someone who does a bit of cardio/activity 30-60 minutes a day.
Carb in general? Because there's a diff between simple and complex carb.

Anywho..

Most experts recommend that 50 to 60 per cent of the total calories in our diet come from carbohydrates. The bulk of the carbs we consume should be complex and most of the simple ones should come from fruits and milk or yoghurt, which also contain vitamins and minerals.

Avoid getting the bulk of your carbs from refined foods high in sugar, since they are usually low in the nutrients we need to maintain health and energy levels.

Originally Posted by wj4

eek.gif
eek.gif

3x12,10,8
incline dumbbell press
cable machine flies

20 mins on elliptical
I believe you're the one with the size 38 waistline and trying to lose weight, right? 20 mins on the elip and .5 mile running seems too soft to see results in a timely manner. I'd lift less and do 45-60 mins of hardcore cardio. (assuming you don't have the time to spend all day in the gym and something has to give).
So more cardio less lifting?

maybe 45-60 mins cardio in the morning, and lifting at night?

If you can, roll out of bed and go for a jog. Cardio on an empty stomach is the best way to lose weight.

Originally Posted by wj4

eek.gif
eek.gif

3x12,10,8
incline dumbbell press
cable machine flies

20 mins on elliptical
I believe you're the one with the size 38 waistline and trying to lose weight, right? 20 mins on the elip and .5 mile running seems too soft to see results in a timely manner. I'd lift less and do 45-60 mins of hardcore cardio. (assuming you don't have the time to spend all day in the gym and something has to give).
So more cardio less lifting?

maybe 45-60 mins cardio in the morning, and lifting at night?
Yes. Cardio is the thing that will help you get rid of the fat (In addition to a good eating habit). Lifting will play be a minor player in thatfield, but by lifting, it will prevent you from losing the muscles you already have.

If you can not do 45-60 mins of hardcore cardio in one time, you may wanna split it up into 2 sessions of 30 mins a piece. And hardcore means going in as hardas you can, not walking on a threadmill reading a book or something like that...a common occurance at my gym.

Originally Posted by wj4

Anywho..

Most experts recommend that 50 to 60 per cent of the total calories in our diet come from carbohydrates. The bulk of the carbs we consume should be complex and most of the simple ones should come from fruits and milk or yoghurt, which also contain vitamins and minerals.

Avoid getting the bulk of your carbs from refined foods high in sugar, since they are usually low in the nutrients we need to maintain health and energy levels.

Yeah, carbs in general without considering complex carbs. 50%-60% seems a lot, no? For someone with a BMR of 1800, it means I need to 1000+ calories fromcarbs? Is that right?

Originally Posted by Vancity74

If you can, roll out of bed and go for a jog. Cardio on an empty stomach is the best way to lose weight.
You wont feel lightheaded or anything or get a cramp by doing it thisway. If that actually works and isn't "bad" for you, i mightstart getting on the bike as soon as i get up instead of waiting an hour or so after i eat breakfast

Sometimes, when I know I'll be busy after work, I would run in the morning and never had a problem with it.
Actually, a lot of people run/walk in the morning right before breakfast and it seems a bit more effective because it is suppose to burn the fat stored duringyour sleep than what you have consumed in the day.

Originally Posted by wj4

Anywho..

Yeah, carbs in general without considering complex carbs. 50%-60% seems a lot, no? For someone with a BMR of 1800, it means I need to 1000+ calories from carbs? Is that right?
You need to do the conversion.

http://www.convertunits.c...ie+%5Bburned%5D/to/grams

Converting 1000 cals to g comes out to be ~130 grams.

I Google'd this up quiclkly, it's chicken bowl entree I believe. One bowl of this will be 33% of your daily need.
BistroPestoGrChkn_NFT.gif

NP, RFX.

BTW I have a coupon code for MuscleAndStrength.com/store, it's good for 10% off the total order. Code is 10OFFSECOND.

I just watched the Pump It up documentary and wow inspiring Arnold was truly magnificent in every aspect.He had bodybuilding down to a science...intimidatingopponents etc.

Originally Posted by I3

I read something that protein should be taken 45 mins after workout and that the body needs carbs first? correct?

its not 45 minutes after it is within a 45 minute time period. either immediately after or until 45 minutes, tat is the optimal time to take your protein.carbs should be taken at least 2 hours before you start to work out. both simple and complex carbs.

^ Ive heard protein should be after 45 mins of your workout and carbs within the first 45 minutes?

Originally Posted by I3

^ Ive heard protein should be after 45 mins of your workout and carbs within the first 45 minutes?
I'm not certain about the carbs, but everyone I know, including myself, try to take protein in within 30 mins of a workout. Hell, even EASpromotes this on their commercial.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom