Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

I didnt read through the whole thread, but if anyone can help me structure a diet (what types of foods should each meal include, examples of these types offood) for a leaner body that would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by I3

Thoughts? I havent looked into the 4:1 carb ratio, but was informed that a protein shake is fine, just add apple or grape juice to 1/3 of your usual protein scoop.
I read a some articles about nutrient timing and taking in carbs with protein post workout. The science of it seems sound; insulin directs glucose from the bloodstream into your tissues and aids in getting amino acids into your muscle cells, especially after exercise. A large intake of carbs triggers the release of insulin, but protein alone doesn't.

There isn't a whole lot of established research on this, but the big picture makes sense. Having carbs with your protein post workout should at least help you recover better, and it may help you absorb more amino acids into your muscles.
So do you reckon its a good idea to do this? Or just continue with the normal protein shake after a workout? Of course, i'll only take 3scoops (recommended on an intense workout, maybe 2 on an average intensity workout)

Love this post so I am going to keep trying to contribute. Yesterday I had a chance to work out with Mike Boyle, premier strength and conditioning coach in thecountry (look him up). He had some great tips and rountines. Again all this depends on your goal and mine is to just look better and keep from ebing injuredlater in life.

The best 2 pieces of advice he gave are stop running/jogging long distances. (Unless your really enjoy it or are training for something). 60% of people who runget injured. Do intervals instead, on a bike or sprints.

The second thing is to stop doing crunches. The core muscles are meant to keep your spine in place/create the correct posture. Imagine taking a credit card andbending it ten times, it would be fine, 200 times you get a wipe strip, 400 times, you would have 2 pieces of card. Your card is your spine. Stop doingcrunches if you want to avoid back problems later in life.

In terms of a scale and gaining/losing weight if you are trying to gain weight you need to eat a ton of calories and lift hard. If trying to lose throw out thescale and do it by mirror test, you know how you look in the mirror and when you look better. If you are really overweight I understand the scale ismotivation.

Keep working hard homeboys.

how to get bigger triceps ?

Close grip bench presses (hands about an inch inside shoulder with, elbows tucked close to the body for the entire range of motion), bench dips, parallel bardips, skullcrushers. After you've warmed up with cable pressdowns, you should try doing 3-4 sets of 2 out of those 3 exercises. With skullcrushers, workyour way up in weight, i.e. start with a warmup weight that is fairly light for 15-20 reps but starts to burn a little after 10 reps. Then go a little heavierthe next set or two and then do two sets where you can just get about 10-12 reps. Never jump into them heavy or you'll ruin your elbows.

Originally Posted by baller1579

Love this post so I am going to keep trying to contribute. Yesterday I had a chance to work out with Mike Boyle, premier strength and conditioning coach in the country (look him up). He had some great tips and rountines. Again all this depends on your goal and mine is to just look better and keep from ebing injured later in life.

The best 2 pieces of advice he gave are stop running/jogging long distances. (Unless your really enjoy it or are training for something). 60% of people who run get injured. Do intervals instead, on a bike or sprints.

The second thing is to stop doing crunches. The core muscles are meant to keep your spine in place/create the correct posture. Imagine taking a credit card and bending it ten times, it would be fine, 200 times you get a wipe strip, 400 times, you would have 2 pieces of card. Your card is your spine. Stop doing crunches if you want to avoid back problems later in life.

In terms of a scale and gaining/losing weight if you are trying to gain weight you need to eat a ton of calories and lift hard. If trying to lose throw out the scale and do it by mirror test, you know how you look in the mirror and when you look better. If you are really overweight I understand the scale is motivation.

Keep working hard homeboys.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
tired.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Oh God, I just noticed the Mike Boyle comment. I mean, duke is good at what he does, but he's too religious in his exercise theory, i.e. it's eitherhis way or no way at all. I know a few people that work with or have worked with Boyle and it's almost as cult-like as cross-fit training. That whole corething is somewhat correct, but your spine is built of vertabrae and a ton of tiny muscles in between each so it's meant to move. Crunches are fine fordeveloping your rectus abdominis, you just want to be thorough and train your entire core, i.e. lower back, obliques, transverse abdominis, hip-flexors, etc...I just think the credit card analogy is a bit of a reach. You're body's not that sensitive.

Originally Posted by I3

Originally Posted by I3

Thoughts? I havent looked into the 4:1 carb ratio, but was informed that a protein shake is fine, just add apple or grape juice to 1/3 of your usual protein scoop.
I read a some articles about nutrient timing and taking in carbs with protein post workout. The science of it seems sound; insulin directs glucose from the bloodstream into your tissues and aids in getting amino acids into your muscle cells, especially after exercise. A large intake of carbs triggers the release of insulin, but protein alone doesn't.

There isn't a whole lot of established research on this, but the big picture makes sense. Having carbs with your protein post workout should at least help you recover better, and it may help you absorb more amino acids into your muscles.
So do you reckon its a good idea to do this? Or just continue with the normal protein shake after a workout? Of course, i'll only take 3 scoops (recommended on an intense workout, maybe 2 on an average intensity workout)
I've tried it and it seems to work better than protein alone for recovery and reduced fatigue after working out. In any case, it's notgoing to have any major negative effects. If take the carbs/protein in a.s.a.p. after working out, a good amount of those calories will be used for repair andrecovery, and little if any would be turned into fat. The longer you wait, the more likely some of it will be converted to fat. I've read the window oftime is about 30-40 minutes post-workout.

My diet has been so F'd up.. Life has me stressed and i've been on like 1-2 meals a day.. I've been super nauseous for bout a week now.

Still hittin' the gym tho.

45 mins elliptical
abs

All I ate was a Qdoba Ranchero Chicken Burrito for lunch.
ohwell.gif

2 scoops of protein.

I need a vacation.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

My diet has been so F'd up.. Life has me stressed and i've been on like 1-2 meals a day.. I've been super nauseous for bout a week now.

45 mins elliptical
abs

ohwell.gif

2 scoops of protein.

I need a vacation.
i really think you'll be better off keeping your workout to 30 mins, drop the ab work, and actually get some decent nutrition. if youcontinue with your 1-2 to two meals and your high stress levels, you're going to see very marginal results at best. you might lose weight, but youwon't be healthy and you're more likely to gain it back in the long run.

u could always buy or cook a large amount of food, portion it into several small-medium sized meals, and put them in containers to refrigerate and reheatlater... or even eat cold.

with all the things going on, you're immune system will be take a major hit

I know I'm seriously late to this thread, but..I thought I could share.

About a month and a half ago I started swimming again, and between that and diet/no soda..loss of 8 lbs.

So, thats my motivation.

today I ate 1 LARGE can of tuna, 5 eggs 5 piece of grilled chicken and 2 protein shake which came to a total of 250g of protein but only around 1000 caloriesis this bad?

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

today I ate 1 LARGE can of tuna, 5 eggs 5 piece of grilled chicken and 2 protein shake which came to a total of 250g of protein but only around 1000 calories is this bad?

you don't wanna o.d. on cutting calories. at some point you'll be using up that protein for energy instead of building/repairing muscle. plus, aftera while your body will tend to respond by slowing your metabolism, making it harder to lose more fat. it's usually pretty safe to keep your calorie intakesomewhat close to what you would need on an average day (i don't know what exactly is recommended, but a calorie deficit of around 300 should keep yourmetabolism from going haywire; keep in mind you burn extra calories working out)

just went across town to find out my gym is closed for the rest of the week to put down new floors
mad.gif

Originally Posted by sloanboy

just went across town to find out my gym is closed for the rest of the week to put down new floors
mad.gif
FYL
laugh.gif

This thread is great, learning some stuff i will definitely do tomorrow

Just got back from the gym. Ran 8 miles in 75 min. I used to weigh 232 and I've dropped down to 172 in about 10 months. Here's a motivational poem Ifound on BB.com

To Lift or Not to Lift
You?re pumped after a couple of warm-up sets
You feel the blood flowing throughout your body at an increased rate
As you close your eyes you imagine yourself conquering the weight
After this image you feel like you can take on the world
You get underneath the weight and spew out your final warrior chant
The weight is lowered as you take a deep breath
It?s a moment of fight or flight and you are functioning off complete adrenaline
The weight is slowly being levitated as you dramatically exhale,
Due to the total shock of the mind and body
You have either succeeded or failed
But no matter the result
This will not be the last time you push your mind and body to the limit

I love the last 3 lines. I found myself repeating them during my 8mile run today

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

45 mins elliptical
abs

ohwell.gif

2 scoops of protein.

I need a vacation.
i really think you'll be better off keeping your workout to 30 mins, drop the ab work, and actually get some decent nutrition. if you continue with your 1-2 to two meals and your high stress levels, you're going to see very marginal results at best. you might lose weight, but you won't be healthy and you're more likely to gain it back in the long run.

u could always buy or cook a large amount of food, portion it into several small-medium sized meals, and put them in containers to refrigerate and reheat later... or even eat cold.

with all the things going on, you're immune system will be take a major hit
good looks homie..

Up until this week I had a few tilapia fillets and bags of steamed veggies that i cooked and saved for later meals.. i haven't been to the grocery store ina month. i need to go today.

I definitely don't want to get sick.. my whole life my immune system has been steel, i've only gotten sick once a year at the end of every summer,(which is coming up)
frown.gif

today I ate 1 LARGE can of tuna, 5 eggs 5 piece of grilled chicken and 2 protein shake which came to a total of 250g of protein but only around 1000 calories is this bad?

eek.gif
You don't need that much protein man
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

eek.gif
You don't need that much protein man
roll.gif

That's how much I'd need..

Originally Posted by Unphased4

Just got back from the gym. Ran 8 miles in 75 min. I used to weigh 232 and I've dropped down to 172 in about 10 months. Here's a motivational poem I found on BB.com

To Lift or Not to Lift
You?re pumped after a couple of warm-up sets
You feel the blood flowing throughout your body at an increased rate
As you close your eyes you imagine yourself conquering the weight
After this image you feel like you can take on the world
You get underneath the weight and spew out your final warrior chant
The weight is lowered as you take a deep breath
It?s a moment of fight or flight and you are functioning off complete adrenaline
The weight is slowly being levitated as you dramatically exhale,
Due to the total shock of the mind and body
You have either succeeded or failed
But no matter the result
This will not be the last time you push your mind and body to the limit

I love the last 3 lines. I found myself repeating them during my 8mile run today
Congrats on the loss. I'm sure you feel much better. I was a little more than where you were at and I'm at 223 now. My goal is 195.

Were you a runner prior to hitting 232? The only time I will run is on the court and thats a hindrance to my plan.

It sounds like you're not putting enough weight on your heels and keeping your head up when you squat.

Back
Top Bottom