The 2012 NFL Draft Thread, 4/26 8EST/5PST Vikings are on the clock

I think I been Ryan Broyles biggest fan since his RS-Frosh year but even pre-injury could you justify taking a 5'10 WR who Isnt a burner before the 2nd round?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I think I been Ryan Broyles biggest fan since his RS-Frosh year but even pre-injury could you justify taking a 5'10 WR who Isnt a burner before the 2nd round?

No. But im sad for him.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so do people still want to defend the pats draft strategy?
I'll give it a shot. 

They have not developed some of thier young guys, but their trading around stuff is still in the best interest.  They merely need to hit on a pick or two. 

They have made 109 picks since 2000.  That's insane numbers when you look at it.  11 years, 7 rounds, should be around 77-80 picks, they are at 109.  They get extra players every year that others simply do not, for instance what Oakland is about to go thru, or my own Dolphins.  We NEVER make good moves like that adding extra picks. 

Hell, for all the crap being thrown at them right now for their defense, they have FOUR picks in the top 64 next year, they SHOULD draft 4 defensive players, or they could move up and maybe take 2 upper tier studs, either way, they are in position to do something.  Look at Miami, we have a ton of holes, do we have the chance, even the slight opputunity to move up and take TWO studs, or sit still and take 4 decent players to fill holes?  Nope.  We get one elite top 3-4 player, and a player we hope we don't screw up in round 2.  I pray like hell we can move down every year, and it rarely happens.  NE does it every single year, without fail.  Maybe this is the year Bill says @#$% it and goes all in for 2 studs.  I don't know, but he has that option.  28-29 other teams do not.  

I think honestly their mistake this year was taking so much offense in the 2011 draft.  OT was an investment to protect Brady, then they took 2 RB's, and waste pick with Mallet (in terms of this team, this run) and then yet another OT and TE (The hell?) in round 5.  That's their mistake.  Taking only 1 CB in round 2 was unwise.  If they invest their third rounders and the 4th rounder on D, they might be in better shape right now. 

One of the weirdest things they do is take QB's every year just about.  They have SEVEN QB's taken even with Brady. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Good lord, quit tryin to reinvent that damn draft pick and just wait a bit.  It did net them Cassel, but damn.  Those are picks they could have used elsewhere. 

Again tho, those are OPTIONS that they have, that almost no other team in the league does.  So they may not be top shelf drafting wise like they were, or Jimmy's boys, or even the packers of today, but they still have chances and have stayed up top for a full decade, largely due to drafting, they have just made a few mistakes lately, and it's catching up.  4 of the top 64, they still have a chance to have a solid 2012 draft, I just hope they keep trading down 9 times so I can catch up in Miami a bit. 
smokin.gif

^ what you askin help on? Paulie, I'm ok with either Barkley or Jones, both are better than anything we've had since Marino. Bark may be safer, Jones maybe more upside with the better arm.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so do people still want to defend the pats draft strategy?
I'll give it a shot. 

They have not developed some of thier young guys, but their trading around stuff is still in the best interest.  They merely need to hit on a pick or two. 

They have made 109 picks since 2000.  That's insane numbers when you look at it.  11 years, 7 rounds, should be around 77-80 picks, they are at 109.  They get extra players every year that others simply do not, for instance what Oakland is about to go thru, or my own Dolphins.  We NEVER make good moves like that adding extra picks. 

Hell, for all the crap being thrown at them right now for their defense, they have FOUR picks in the top 64 next year, they SHOULD draft 4 defensive players, or they could move up and maybe take 2 upper tier studs, either way, they are in position to do something.  Look at Miami, we have a ton of holes, do we have the chance, even the slight opputunity to move up and take TWO studs, or sit still and take 4 decent players to fill holes?  Nope.  We get one elite top 3-4 player, and a player we hope we don't screw up in round 2.  I pray like hell we can move down every year, and it rarely happens.  NE does it every single year, without fail.  Maybe this is the year Bill says @#$% it and goes all in for 2 studs.  I don't know, but he has that option.  28-29 other teams do not.  

I think honestly their mistake this year was taking so much offense in the 2011 draft.  OT was an investment to protect Brady, then they took 2 RB's, and waste pick with Mallet (in terms of this team, this run) and then yet another OT and TE (The hell?) in round 5.  That's their mistake.  Taking only 1 CB in round 2 was unwise.  If they invest their third rounders and the 4th rounder on D, they might be in better shape right now. 

Again tho, those are OPTIONS that they have, that almost no other team in the league does.  So they may not be top shelf drafting wise like they were, or Jimmy's boys, or even the packers of today, but they still have chances and have stayed up top for a full decade, largely due to drafting, they have just made a few mistakes lately, and it's catching up.  4 of the top 64, they still have a chance to have a solid 2012 draft, I just hope they keep trading down 9 times so I can catch up in Miami a bit.

The Pats strategy is a good strategy if you are a team like the Browns, where you need to rebuild and get as much talent in as many positions as possible.

The difference between the Cowboys and Packers versus the Pats is that those 2 teams had elite talent in various positions, along with drafting really well in the later rounds.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

No. But im sad for him.

Broyles stock will not drop.He isn't going to grow 4 inches or gain 20 lbs for the combine. You know what you are getting with him. A GREAT 3rd WR who does not drop passes (had 1 drop in 400 throws his way), gets open in space, returns punts, and runs great routes. He isn't a speed burner before his injury and will not be a speed burner after. I see him middle second to early 3rd. He is a team player and I think he will be very reliable in the NFL.

Originally Posted by Statis22

I think Jones returns for another year. I think he needs it too to be honest.

Jones would have been back before before Broyles injury, now I am thinking differently because he saw what could happen. He would be 24 when he gets drafted should he stay which is kind of old but it can help with maturity. He may stay and get a 10mm insurance policy like Bradford did and the two most important reasons why he stays is because his fiancee will be back at school for her final year and also he really wants to be a minister after football, so I am not sure going to the NFL right away is his top priority.
I think he needs another year and he potentially can be the 1st pick. However if he is guaranteed top 3 this year, you need to go and take the money. Regardless he is putting up big numbers and OU should be a top 3 team next year.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

No. But im sad for him.

Broyles stock will not drop.He isn't going to grow 4 inches or gain 20 lbs for the combine. You know what you are getting with him. A GREAT 3rd WR who does not drop passes (had 1 drop in 400 throws his way), gets open in space, returns punts, and runs great routes. He isn't a speed burner before his injury and will not be a speed burner after. I see him middle second to early 3rd. He is a team player and I think he will be very reliable in the NFL.

Yea but he wont be ready for ota's and he is going to lose out on some bread....
Sad is too much but I feel a bit of his pain

soooo where can i see rankings for LBs (all positions.. but mainly middle and strong side guys.. all we have is weakside guys on our roster), DTs and DEs?

obviously we need LBs.. but we also need a DT with size.. and could also use a DE with good size

so any julius peppers/mario williams type DEs coming out?

or any DTs who are legit 300+ with some wiggle to also rush the passer while stopping the run?

How many DE's do you guys need? You just need a couple LB's, a safety and some offensive line help.

^ i think babin is gone after this year (only this year of his contract is guaranteed.. and i think we move away from the wide 9, so he would be to expensive to keep as a situational pass rusher).. parker is also gone, since his contract is up

i only see us drafting a DE if someone special with size is there (hence my peppers/wiliams reference).. cause we really need quality over quantity at this point (same goes for DT.. and LB)

and i see us going into next year with trent, graham and tapp being the only locks to make the team at DE.. hunt will be given another shot.. and parker might be back for cheap

and there is no way we draft a safety (at least not early).. after taking 2 in consecutive years in the 2nd round and coleman being a serviceable backup.. and anderson being as good as he is on special teams.. soo that's 4 safeties on the roster already

and as far as Oline.. i could see us taking a RT and moving herremans back to LG.. so we would have peters-herremans-kelce-watkins and new guy

CP, where do you/your boss/whoever have David Wilson projected if he decides to leave? IMO his running instincts (patience, vision, knowing when to hit the hole etc) aren't elite though they have improved this year. But he's such a good athlete that he's been able to outrun or run through people so it hasn't mattered. He's only 5'10 205 but runs harder than most bigger RB's and his legs are about the size of Lattimore's. I have to wonder though if that running style will translate to the league because he probably won't be able to run through contact as much at that size. 

Stats through 10 games:

210 ATT. 1360 YDS (6.5 YPC), 7 TD. 116 broken tackles, 821 yards after contact. 4 fumbles.

He's definitely had fumbling issues and also his stamina seems to be a concern. He's usually the fastest guy on the field but it seems like he tires himself out quickly and often doesn't have enough gas to finish long runs. 

Right now he's not even on our radar. 
ohwell.gif
  Still early in the process when you think about it, and I think only 2-3 Va Tech games have been done, including one by me and it was the QB and Lamar show in that game.  I did notice him in the game though and this is what I wrote

David Wilson RB

-          Downhill runner, tough to bring down. 

-          Good but not great speed

-          Always falls forward on runs, finishes the play, gets every inch he can

-          Mentioned during the broadcast questions about fumbles.  Didn’t see anything in this game however.

-          Could be a mid round guy, but I don’t see him being a #1 back in the NFL. 

That was 6 weeks ago or so, I'd need to see more of him before I could actually give a knowledgable view on him.  And my boss don't seem worried about him either, he just put up his own rankings last week and no mention of the kid yet.  Maybe he's overlooked since he's a JR? 

Right now he's not even on our radar. 
ohwell.gif
Still early in the process when you think about it, and I think only 2-3 Va Tech games have been done, including one by me and it was the QB and Lamar show in that game. I did notice him in the game though and this is what I wrote

David Wilson RB

- Downhill runner, tough to bring down.

- Good but not great speed

- Always falls forward on runs, finishes the play, gets every inch he can

- Mentioned during the broadcast questions about fumbles. Didn’t see anything in this game however.

- Could be a mid round guy, but I don’t see him being a #1 back in the NFL.

That was 6 weeks ago or so, I'd need to see more of him before I could actually give a knowledgable view on him. And my boss don't seem worried about him either, he just put up his own rankings last week and no mention of the kid yet. Maybe he's overlooked since he's a JR?
Good I hope everyone agrees with y'all, I want him to come back next year
laugh.gif
Fumbles are DEFINITELY a concern, and from what I remember none of the 4 fumbles he's had this year were from him fighting for extra yards and getting stripped; 3 were him not protecting it and the other was a helmet on the ball.

As far as his speed goes he does have elite speed when healthy (he had a couple minor calf/ankle injuries earlier in the year but nothing major) as you can see here.

From watching all our games though it seems like he exerts too much energy fighting for YAC on every play and then when he gets in the open field he's too tired to sprint all out. That's why I kinda agree that he won't be able to be a #1 in the league. If he finishes the year strong I could see him getting at least a 2nd round grade but I think he'd be better served staying an extra year and developing a little more (and I selfishly want him back cus we don't have any depth behind him).

CP, what are your thoughts on the following guys and what systems do you think these guys will best excell in, in the league:

DE - quinton coples (we have enough small fastball DEs.. we need someone with size)

DTs - devon still and brandon thompson

LBs - burfict, te'o and kuechly (obviously the top 4-3 MLB prospects)

these are all guys i'm looking at for the eagles.. still is the only guy who i dont think really fits the eagles since i think he might end up being a 3-4 DE

David Wilson is a Beast.

He def a 4.4 guy.

He reminds me of Deangelo Williams.

*Checks 2012 schedule*
I agree, Wilson should probably declare for the draft.

I asked the guy I work for, he and his folks don't think Wilson is coming out this year, but his best guess for now would be a 4th round pick, if he stays and beasts next year he's a 2 with a shot at improving to a 1.  Take that for what any draft analysis is worth. 

Abouttime, I just did Notre Dame this weekend, and Te'O didn't do a whole lot, though I heard he's nursing an ankle.  I do like what I have seen from Kuechly, but I haven't seen him a ton.  Did see him vs Florida St though, and he looks like one of those brain linebackers that knows everything.  Burfict may be the biggest "talent" of them all, but that dude is nuts and that's worries me.  He's a walking flag and if they can calm him down, great, but if they can't he may not be worth the headache.  I think he dips a bit from all that.  But if he murders the combine then I may eat my words. 
laugh.gif

I honestly haven't seen enough of the DT's you mentioned.  And Coples kicked Miami's @#$ pretty good, I was sold on that alone.  Coples may be the name guy, but to me if I get a DE in round 1, I want Curry from Marshall.  Jevon Kearse clone.  And I mean that in a great way. 

The Notre Dame game I did vs Maryland, Floyd had a great game, but my favorite part was watching him come off his block to block somebody else when they were up 38-7. 
eek.gif
  That type of @#$% will make a coach cream himself. 
laugh.gif
  It was the best play of the night by far imo.  Even made up for his 2 drops that he probably just rushed. 

I honestly haven't seen enough of the DT's you mentioned.  And Coples kicked Miami's @#$ pretty good, I was sold on that alone.  Coples may be the name guy, but to me if I get a DE in round 1, I want Curry from Marshall.  Jevon Kearse clone.  And I mean that in a great way. 
the only DE i could see us going after early is coples.. just because of his size and ability to play the run and pass (and also him having spent some time at DT for UNC)

we already have enough smaller pass rushers types in cole, graham, tapp and hunt (i assume babin is gone).. so we need someone with size who can be a force in the run game as well

don't know much about curry to say anything positive or negative as they regard the eagles' specific needs from that position.. other than looking at his stats and measurements

Brandon Thompson is an animal. However I think any DT talk has to begin with Melvin Ingram

Burfict's combine may not be as "wow" as you may expect CP.

Back
Top Bottom