The Bicycle Thread

Crashed my CAAD12 a few weeks back. Decided to break it down and rebuild it with Di2.

Road Bike prices in my size (60) are a bit OD right now. $3,249.99 for a Émonda SL 5 Disc w/ 105 is outrageous.

Agree with prices being sucky, but ive seen a bunch of used ones go for much cheaper. Check your local Facebook group as there's always those people who use a bike a couple of times and then it starts collecting dust. I haven't seen 60's, but I did see a 58 Emonda SL5 that was used a few times sell for $2400. Maybe you can get away with a 58 in some brands

Agree with prices being sucky, but ive seen a bunch of used ones go for much cheaper. Check your local Facebook group as there's always those people who use a bike a couple of times and then it starts collecting dust. I haven't seen 60's, but I did see a 58 Emonda SL5 that was used a few times sell for $2400. Maybe you can get away with a 58 in some brands
I've monitored Facebook Marketplace, Pink Bike and ect. My 2016 Caad12 Ultegra was $1900 out the door and I still love it. Figured I'd drop $2k into it and be good for another 6 years.

I just sold one of my road bikes on pink bike. Luckily the guy was local so that made it really easy. Hoping to pick another up soon, but as said prices are ridiculous. Really wanted the new Giant propel with di2. Initially when they dropped prices it was $5.8k, but not even 6 hours later they changed to $8k. Very very hard to stomach at that price.,

It actually took me almost 3 years to realize that the default tires are tubeless on the Specialized bike I have! I learned that from the employee in the maintenance department at a local bike shop when I went to pick it up earlier this month after his crew did the annual tuneup on it. I should have realized that months ago when I was riding it with a screw that was stuck in the rear tire since it never went flat.

So I got a second bike last week, a Cannondale to be specific. The default tires on that bike are tube. I noticed it immediately by seeing the valves on the tires when I went to pick it up from the REI store location I chose to pick it up at.

Can any of y'all who are knowledgeable with bikes recommend if I should go with tube or tubeless with my new Cannondale bike? I know it'll obviously be an extra cost to convert the default tube tires to tubeless tires. I truly don't want to worry about fixing a flat with tube tires, so that's where tubeless comes into play. Are there advantages with tubeless tires? Are there advantages with tube tires? I just want to know what is good and bad with tube and tubeless tires.

It actually took me almost 3 years to realize that the default tires are tubeless on the Specialized bike I have! I learned that from the employee in the maintenance department at a local bike shop when I went to pick it up earlier this month after his crew did the annual tuneup on it. I should have realized that months ago when I was riding it with a screw that was stuck in the rear tire since it never went flat.

So I got a second bike last week, a Cannondale to be specific. The default tires on that bike are tube. I noticed it immediately by seeing the valves on the tires when I went to pick it up from the REI store location I chose to pick it up at.

Can any of y'all who are knowledgeable with bikes recommend if I should go with tube or tubeless with my new Cannondale bike? I know it'll obviously be an extra cost to convert the default tube tires to tubeless tires. I truly don't want to worry about fixing a flat with tube tires, so that's where tubeless comes into play. Are there advantages with tubeless tires? Are there advantages with tube tires? I just want to know what is good and bad with tube and tubeless tires.
Generally its personal preference. My first road bike had tubeless tires and ive never had a flat on those. If I had to pick one I would run tubeless every time. Now I have tubes on my second bike as im too lazy right now to change them until I get new wheels, but ive got 3 flats within ~800 miles and ive taken both bikes on the same route. The general stuff is below, but google will probably provide more details.

Pros of Tubeless:
-Can run lower pressure
-Small punctures generally will seal no issue
-More comfortable
-Lighter

Cons of tubeless:
-More expensive for tires, sealant, and if unrepairable
-Have to check pressure very often
-More timely to setup (honestly not that bad)

Pros of tubes:
-Cheaper
-easier to repair/replace
-Universal

Cons of tubes:
-easier to puncture
-cant run lower pressures
-heavier

Of course this can depend on the amount of money you spend and so on and so forth, but for the most part it's really personal preference.

Advantages are less punctures because it will seal small leaks. No pinch flats as well. Lower roller resistance so you save watts. You can also run lower pressure so the ride will be a tad more comfortable.

Downside is if you're not too handy or a novice it can be messy and tedious to get them set up. Tubeless tires are more expensive. You'll need to carry sealant or tire plugs on your ride. A big puncture can also be messy with sealant everywhere. You will probably still want to carry a tube.

I dont do tubeless.

Conti GP5000 + latex tubes for me. Low rolling resistance plus easy to change during a flat.

New wheels... had it built a month ago
20230101_131027.jpg

Yeah I’m happy about that, unfortunately it’s closing a few bike shops near me (not enough cycling demand), but the retail prices were ridiculous. Going to wait till there are some consistent sales before picking up another bike

Glad most of the market is settling back down in all the different aspects of the world. Insane what the Pandemic did to the price of things. That said, I need to get out on my bike :frown: been too long

Haven’t posted in a minute. Sold my previous bike and put those components on a specialized allez sprint. Took me awhile to find the roval rapide handlebars. Gotta save up for some new wheels. I’ve also just gotten a bike fit so I’m getting used to the stack height before I make a permanent cut on the fork.

9656971C-769D-4E35-B3C6-F3CB8D307950.jpeg

Generally its personal preference. My first road bike had tubeless tires and ive never had a flat on those. If I had to pick one I would run tubeless every time. Now I have tubes on my second bike as im too lazy right now to change them until I get new wheels, but ive got 3 flats within ~800 miles and ive taken both bikes on the same route. The general stuff is below, but google will probably provide more details.

Pros of Tubeless:
-Can run lower pressure
-Small punctures generally will seal no issue
-More comfortable
-Lighter

Cons of tubeless:
-More expensive for tires, sealant, and if unrepairable
-Have to check pressure very often
-More timely to setup (honestly not that bad)

Pros of tubes:
-Cheaper
-easier to repair/replace
-Universal

Cons of tubes:
-easier to puncture
-cant run lower pressures
-heavier

Of course this can depend on the amount of money you spend and so on and so forth, but for the most part it's really personal preference.

Advantages are less punctures because it will seal small leaks. No pinch flats as well. Lower roller resistance so you save watts. You can also run lower pressure so the ride will be a tad more comfortable.

Downside is if you're not too handy or a novice it can be messy and tedious to get them set up. Tubeless tires are more expensive. You'll need to carry sealant or tire plugs on your ride. A big puncture can also be messy with sealant everywhere. You will probably still want to carry a tube.

I dont do tubeless.

Conti GP5000 + latex tubes for me. Low rolling resistance plus easy to change during a flat.

I'm sorry I forgot to clarify that both of my bikes are hybrid and that I ride them strictly for transportation.

I do like the factor that I don't have to worry about flats and punctures with tubeless. I think I would prefer to have the peace of mind with not having those concerns on my travels.

That's true about not being handy or inexperienced with changing tires because I attempted to do so this afternoon. It sure was messy. I tried placing the tubeless tires that are on the Specialized bike with the new Cannondale bike I recently got that have tube tires on them. I gave up because the fit on the front tubeless tire didn't match with the new bike.

If I decide to go with tubeless tires with the new bike I think I'll just go to REI and get a new pair and have them install them.

I tried placing the tubeless tires that are on the Specialized bike with the new Cannondale bike I recently got that have tube tires on them. I gave up because the fit on the front tubeless tire didn't match with the new bike.
If the wheel isn't made for tubeless, if it's designed for tubes, the sidewalls won't be high enough to support holding a tubeless tire.

If the wheel isn't made for tubeless, if it's designed for tubes, the sidewalls won't be high enough to support holding a tubeless tire.

Thanks for clarifying, but please educate me if you can.

Are you saying if my bike itself is designed for tubes, then tube tires will be the default tires, period? I assume sidewalls are the ends of the front fork part of the frame that holds the front tire.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge with bike and parts vernacular.

Are you saying if my bike itself is designed for tubes, then tube tires will be the default tires, period? I assume sidewalls are the ends of the front fork part of the frame that holds the front tire.

No, no, the sidewalls of the rims. This is the sidewall of this rim:

bike-pump-3-1000x668.jpg

The sidewalls of tubless rims are built stronger and higher. The sidewall in this picture is for a regular tube & tire, and there's no way it would hold a tubeless tire.

another option would be swapping the wheels from the specialized over to the cannondale. Assuming they fit (both rim or both disc and have enough tire clearance). But not sure if you plan on using both bike frequently?

I'm sorry I forgot to clarify that both of my bikes are hybrid and that I ride them strictly for transportation.

I do like the factor that I don't have to worry about flats and punctures with tubeless. I think I would prefer to have the peace of mind with not having those concerns on my travels.

That's true about not being handy or inexperienced with changing tires because I attempted to do so this afternoon. It sure was messy. I tried placing the tubeless tires that are on the Specialized bike with the new Cannondale bike I recently got that have tube tires on them. I gave up because the fit on the front tubeless tire didn't match with the new bike.

If I decide to go with tubeless tires with the new bike I think I'll just go to REI and get a new pair and have them install them.
I wouldn't bother with tubeless if it's a commuter bike tbh. I'd go with something like Schwalbe marathon plus HS wire tires and regular butyl tubes.

Also, not you cant mount tubeless tires on any wheel. The wheel has to be tubeless ready.

What bikes do you have?

I'm finally posting photos of the Cannondale Quick 6 bike I got exactly a week ago from REI. This is my second bike. I decided to get it once I saw it marked down on their website. Good thing I ordered it after I saw the price reduction because it was sold out in my size afterwards. I took multiple angles of photos for fun to share.
IMG_6673.JPG
IMG_6674.JPG
IMG_6675.JPG
IMG_6676.JPG
IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6678.JPG
IMG_6679.JPG

I'm hoping I have a chance to go outside today because I want to ride it on a planned route. I want to make that projected route the first one for this bike.

I'm finally posting photos of the Cannondale Quick 6 bike I got exactly a week ago from REI. This is my second bike. I decided to get it once I saw it marked down on their website. Good thing I ordered it after I saw the price reduction because it was sold out in my size afterwards. I took multiple angles of photos for fun to share.
IMG_6673.JPG
IMG_6674.JPG
IMG_6675.JPG
IMG_6676.JPG
IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6678.JPG
IMG_6679.JPG

I'm hoping I have a chance to go outside today because I want to ride it on a planned route. I want to make that projected route the first one for this bike.
I'm 2 years in on same bike and ride about 35-40 miles a week on it. Dependable ride you got yourself.

Back
Top Bottom