The College Basketball Post

When is Cal's coaching ability going to start getting questioned?

Cal is one, if not, the best recruiter college sports OVERALL has seen, however talent only gets you so far, especially when the tournament comes around. Cal comes off to be an only above average Xs & Os coach, and not elite. FWIW, I feel Brad Stevens is a better game planning coach.

Cal gets seems to outcoached at times(i.e. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Arkansas, even Bruce Pearl's Tennessee teams), and comes up short consistently, but seems to get a pass on the "it's hard to get back when you coach one-and-done" excuse.

He coaching career is eerily similar to Peyton Manning playing career & postseason woes.

dumb coach cal arguments coming out of the woodwork's again. :lol:

1. Out coached? They barely lost to a team with 3 possibly 4 NBA players on it. Don't let their lack of melanin fool you, they didn't lose to hickory high.

2. Brad Stevens is the best in game coach on the planet right now, saying Cal isn't as good as him means what exactly?

3. This is funny Cal consistenley comes up short huh.

So what exactly does the vauted coach K do, with his olympic hookup and talent that is just as good.

He coming up short? I he a great recruiter, mediocre coach? :lol:

Still can't believe you dudes were in here yesterday trying to tell me how Cal was the best coach and whatnot. He's obviously a great recruiter, but he's a horrendous tactician. Got outcoached by Bo just like I thought he would. The offense that Kentucky was running down the stretch was some of the worst I've ever seen.

Cal is one, if not, the best recruiter college sports OVERALL has seen, however talent only gets you so far, especially when the tournament comes around. Cal comes off to be an only above average Xs & Os coach, and not elite. FWIW, I feel Brad Stevens is a better game planning coach.

Cal gets seems to outcoached at times(i.e. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Arkansas, even Bruce Pearl's Tennessee teams), and comes up short consistently, but seems to get a pass on the "it's hard to get back when you coach one-and-done" excuse.

He coaching career is eerily similar to Peyton Manning playing career & postseason woes.
i get what youre saying 100% but IMO I hate how much pressure is put on a coach for his team to perform. I am also hate how much praise a coach gets for his players accomplishments. Coack didnt win 1000 games, his players did. Yes its their job to teach and improve guys but ultimately players play and coaches coach. When the game is on the line aint nobody else making plays except the players. I can tell so and so to whatever all day, dont mean hes gonna do it.

But yeah i know what you mean

His 2nd worst finish in the last decade...was a Sweet 16. 3 Elite 8's, 5 Final 4's, including 3 title games. For contrast, this is only Coach K's 2nd Final Four in the last 11 years. Bill Self has made it twice in 12 years at KU. He coached 17 years at Umass and Memphis and the only players that ever stuck in the pros were Rose, Tyreke and Camby, so it hasn't been about overwhelming talent really until he hit Kentucky.

It's not hard to get back into contention, it is hard to advance in a single elimination tournament when you're running into other good teams with talent.

This season was ultimately a failure for UK (spare me the 39 wins in a crap league and no games against a Top 25 Kenpom team from 12/27 until Notre Dame) but the dude can coach.

Last edited:

So basically one of the greatest coaches of all time and of our generation

Got it

Last edited:
Still can't believe you dudes were in here yesterday trying to tell me how Cal was the best coach and whatnot. He's obviously a great recruiter, but he's a horrendous tactician. Got outcoached by Bo just like I thought he would. The offense that Kentucky was running down the stretch was some of the worst I've ever seen.

so how do you explain last year? :lol:

you are playing the results bruh.

dumb coach cal arguments coming out of the woodwork's again.
laugh.gif

1. Out coached? They barely lost to a team with 3 possibly 4 NBA players on it. Don't let their lack of melanin fool you, they didn't lose to hickory high.

2. Brad Stevens is the best in game coach on the planet right now, saying Cal isn't as good as him means what exactly?

3. This is funny Cal consistenley comes up short huh.

So what exactly does the vauted coach K do, with his olympic hookup and talent that is just as good.

He coming up short? I he a great recruiter, mediocre coach?
laugh.gif
1. I recognize Wisconsin has 3-4 potential NBA players, and I also recognize Kentucky has 8-10 NBA quality players

2. Brad Stevens is top 10, Coach Pop is best on planet 
laugh.gif

3. Coach K comes up short no doubt and he gets no passes, but a the same time he is the same coach who was coaching teams where the top 3 players were Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Austin Rivers & another team with Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, and Tyler Thornton..... Players (outside Parker & Rivers) wouldn't even be first man off the bench for Kentucky teams

How are Kaminsky's NBA prospects looking? not sure if he's a lottery pick but definitely a 1st rounder imo.

His 2nd worst finish in the last decade...was a Sweet 16. 3 Elite 8's, 5 Final 4's, including 3 title games. For contrast, this is only Coach K's 2nd Final Four in the last 11 years. Bill Self has made it twice in 12 years at KU. He coached 17 years at Umass and Memphis and the only players that ever stuck in the pros were Rose, Tyreke and Camby, so it hasn't been about overwhelming talent really until he hit Kentucky.

It's not hard to get back into contention, it is hard to advance in a single elimination tournament when you're running into other good teams with talent.

This season was ultimately a failure for UK (spare me the 39 wins in a crap league and no games against a Top 25 Kenpom team from 12/27 until Notre Dame) but the dude can coach.
All fax.

Repped.

The kids have to execute. Too much is being put on Cal because the kids ran down the shot clock. You have 35 seconds to run a couple of sets. The players got tight.

1. I recognize Wisconsin has 3-4 potential NBA players, and I also recognize Kentucky has 8-10 NBA quality players

2. Brad Stevens is top 10, Coach Pop is best on planet :lol:

3. Coach K comes up short no doubt and he gets no passes, but a the same time he is the same coach who was coaching teams where the top 3 players were Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, and Austin Rivers & another team with Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, and Tyler Thornton..... Players (outside Parker & Rivers) wouldn't even be first man off the bench for Kentucky teams

1. Lyles, Booker, wcs, towns are the only definite pros. The other are ?'s

2. The celtics are currently 5th in out of time out socring efficency at .901

The 8th team in EASTERN conference is 5th in the entire league in scoring. :lol:

Strictly in game, no one is better than Brad, When it comes to building a team system, managing players over a season, instilling a culture, pop is the best. but no none touching brad Stevens in game and out of time outs.

3. This is COLLEGE basketball it's a different game. Ryan Kelly, Rodney Hood, Seth curry these guys were all older, better than or just as good as anyone on Kentucky not named. WCS and KAT.

If you are going to call Cal an good recruiter bad coach then you have to do the same for Coach K.

be consistent.

Last edited:
Yall giving coaches too much credit. They arent making the plays.

with this logic yall are giving the coaches on their players' efficiency well I guess Steve Kerr is one of the greatest coaches in the game today huh?

The kids have to execute. Too much is being put on Cal because the kids ran down the shot clock. You have 35 seconds to run a couple of sets. The players got tight.
I don't remember what the timeout situation was, but if you don't like what you are seeing from them, you have to call a timeout there and put someone in that is going to run actual offense. Harrisons were just out there dribbling the clock out and throwing up air balls. No clue why they weren't consistently feeding Towns.

Yall giving coaches too much credit. They arent making the plays.

with this logic yall are giving the coaches on their players' efficiency well I guess Steve Kerr is one of the greatest coaches in the game today huh?
So he must have nothing to do with the fact that they are leaps and bounds better than they were last year with the same exact players. Right.

I don't remember what the timeout situation was, but if you don't like what you are seeing from them, you have to call a timeout there and put someone in that is going to run actual offense. Harrisons were just out there dribbling the clock out and throwing up air balls. No clue why they weren't consistently feeding Towns.
well if you let that one NTer tell ya they stopped feeding towns cuz Kaminsky made him look like a high schooler :lol:

But yeah youre right I completely agree. After those 2 possessions I kept tellin every one i was watching the game with that it was gonna cost us. We had momentum and 2 big calls go our way.

The only reason i could think a TO wasnt called is because they had maybe 2 or 3 left and would need them down the stretch given that the game was swinging back n forth possession for possession ... but then again UK is pretty clutch in the finals seconds pullin somethin out the *** lol

Oh well ... theres next year

As a coach, you have to recognize the significance of the moment. Yes, there was still time left in the game, but that was a very pivotal few minutes and the players looked lost out there. Have to do what you can as a coach to try to restore order...

great game, not ruined, but tainted by horrible refs.

...hate to see coach cal n the team not move on n continue the streak, but like to see wisky v duke in the ship.

mon night will be great.

Back
Top Bottom