The College Basketball Post

Looks like Tony Bradley is leaning towards staying in the draft.

Probably not a bad thing in the long run, though. It could help with help with recruiting possible one-and-done's and break the stigma that UNC isn't a good spot for freshmen to jump to the league.

Eh, I'm kind of intrigued by that particular narrative because I don't actually think it's that UNC isn't a good spot for one-and done's. I feel like, at least from a big man perspective, UNC has had a decent amount who either did go or could have gone after one year:

Marvin Williams
McAdoo (was a potential lottery pick if he left after freshman year)
Harrison Barnes (was recruited as a one and done)
Brandon Wright
Ed Davis (was a potential lottery pick if he left after freshman year)

If anything, and I could be wrong, but I feel like it's because Roy hasn't yet turned the corner on one-and-done recruiting the way that K has. He's also done a really good job of developing his bigs, getting the most out of them, giving them an opportunity to win an ACC title or get to a Final Four in a 3-4 year span, and still manage to put them into the 1st round of the draft. Don't really see what the problem is there.

Eh, I'm kind of intrigued by that particular narrative because I don't actually think it's that UNC isn't a good spot for one-and done's. I feel like, at least from a big man perspective, UNC has had a decent amount who either did go or could have gone after one year:

Marvin Williams
McAdoo (was a potential lottery pick if he left after freshman year)
Harrison Barnes (was recruited as a one and done)
Brandon Wright
Ed Davis (was a potential lottery pick if he left after freshman year)

If anything, and I could be wrong, but I feel like it's because Roy hasn't yet turned the corner on one-and-done recruiting the way that K has. He's also done a really good job of developing his bigs, getting the most out of them, giving them an opportunity to win an ACC title or get to a Final Four in a 3-4 year span, and still manage to put them into the 1st round of the draft. Don't really see what the problem is there.

True, but I feel like kids just want that quick fix and are looking at immediate results. They look at the recent track record of Duke, UK, KU, etc. freshman prospects and how many of them have been able to be lottery/first round picks over past several years. The last OAD we had was Brandan Wright and I think that affects a lot of these kid's decisions.

Last edited:
Good grief. This comes from the same place where dudes say top recruits going to Duke, KU, UK, UNC, etc. is a mistake.

Honestly, does it really matter that much?

I personally want to see the best players play on the top teams where they're playing in meaningful games and we get to see what they're really made of before they make the jump to the NBA. I don't see the problem with that. In professional sports we don't ever like to see the best players play on awful teams that have no chance at winning either. Regardless of what level or sport, it is not fun to watch really talented players play on teams where they don't have any help. It makes the game harder on them than it needs to be and takes away from the viewing experience and in the end I would hope they're competitive enough that it's also frustrating the athlete regardless of if they're only going to be there one year or not.

Probably not a bad thing in the long run, though. It could help with help with recruiting possible one-and-done's and break the stigma that UNC isn't a good spot for freshmen to jump to the league.

Going in the 2nd round maybe maybe late 1st is not going help change the narrative

Last edited:
There's def a stigma about OAD and Roy buying into it.

Fwiw from dudes list up there, Brandan Wright was OAD UNC big man as well.

Most don't get on campus as guaranteed OAD, but play their way in. Only Barnes was really seen from that list as a OAD dude coming in. Maybe...maybe Marv.

2 National Championship game appearances and a National Championship the last 2 seasons with a bunch of 3 & 4 year players and now y'all want OAD's :smh:

I have no sympathy for you right now brudda :lol:

Is it UNC or is it the players? They just haven't landed the elite of the elite guys. Not buying that narrative

Back
Top Bottom