The College Basketball Post

How y’all don’t think that man underachieved is beyond me. Won one title in all those years, endless NBA talent, money, “greatest recruiting class ever” so many years

One title

Let’s not even get into all the early exits in the tournament. Or the fact that the SEC fairly weak during a lot of his tenure

Dude is the college basketball version of Doc Rivers

Like it was mentioned earlier Kentucky was about to enter the dark ages. Cal rescued them. You get a National Championship you made it. Multiple championships is RARE.

I believe every program in the nation would have taken Coach Cal's run at Kentucky except for
North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCONN, and Villanova?

Doc rivers is insanely harsh lmao. A doc rivers equivalent would’ve never made final fours with Memphis and Umass

Every program goes through rough stretches. The ideal of Final Four/Championship or bust every season is unrealistic.

It’s easy to criticize and I understand that hindsight is 50/50 but both Duke and Kentucky who were the main trailblazers for the OaD era, only have one title each to show for it.

Nah I’m not saying natty or bust every year, I can’t stand when people have that mindset. I’m an OSU fan (heavy on the football side) and I can’t stand 90% of the fanbase because they think like that :lol:

I don’t think he sucks or anything like that but I think it is fair to say he underachieved quite a bit strictly because of the talent and resources he had while there. Obviously the last few years with NIL and transfer portal have somewhat leveled the playing field.

Cal got there in 2009, in that time there were a few other programs that won multiple titles:

Duke
Uconn
North Carolina
Nova
*Kansas* (if you go to 2008 they’d have two)

So it wasn’t like it was unheard of for teams to have two during that time period. But the last few years of not even getting out of the first round? None of those other great coaches had a stretch like that especially with the talented rosters

Yea I agree that the last 5 years have been full of major disappointment.

Looks like Izzo hasn’t won a sweet 16 game since 2019, and has one appearance which was last season. Tony Bennett hasn’t gotten back to the sweet 16 since winning it all in 2019. Probably need to look up other coaches that might’ve had similar stretches,I don’t think it’s that out of the ordinary for coaches to struggle

Also cal joined the season after UNC won their title in 2008-2009, so they only have one title in that same span as kentucky

Yea I agree that the last 5 years have been full of major disappointment.

Looks like Izzo hasn’t won a sweet 16 game since 2019, and has one appearance which was last season. Tony Bennett hasn’t gotten back to the sweet 16 since winning it all in 2019. Probably need to look up other coaches that might’ve had similar stretches,I don’t think it’s that out of the ordinary for coaches to struggle

Also cal joined the season after UNC won their title in 2008-2009, so they only have one title in that same span as kentucky
Yeah I don’t think final fours and championships are the issue. But the way he continued to assemble his teams without the portal after having similar issues in the previous five seasons with all freshman teams not “getting it” became a big problem. He’s also a victim of his own recruiting success and having too many egos to manage.

I could see him getting back to the final four within the next three seasons. He’s by no means had the game pass him by so I could see him getting more juice from this team than most of his UK teams.

I feel like Billy Donovan actually is kind of attainable. They can definitely pay him more than the $6M per year that he’s getting from Chicago.

Bulls as a franchise are in like the worst position you can be in. Just under 500, no blue chip young guys. Won’t get a good draft pick.

Obviously he’d have to be cool with going back to college, but if he was, you can’t really get a better job than this. And he’s probably not getting a better NBA gig anytime soon.

How y’all don’t think that man underachieved is beyond me. Won one title in all those years, endless NBA talent, money, “greatest recruiting class ever” so many years

One title

Let’s not even get into all the early exits in the tournament. Or the fact that the SEC fairly weak during a lot of his tenure

Dude is the college basketball version of Doc Rivers

One of the worst coaches EVER.

Does this mean RJ is gone? aepps20 aepps20

As of the S16 game her and RJ are still together. I think this is a purely basketball relatedly move. She's actually regressed since her Freshman year and UNC's coach isn't great and Deja isn't as great as she thinks. She has dreams of playing in the W so I could see her doing well at a program like UCLA. If she wants to maximize NIL dollars she will go to LSU.

And yet is resume is only bested by maybe 2-3 others over the past 15 years. He’s a slime ball but he’s done a lot of winning for being one of the worst coaches ever

Has had the most NBA talent of any other coach in the same time span. I could've won the same amount or more with that talent. Never said he wasn't a good recruiter because that would be a lie.

But coaching? He's Mr. roll the ball out.

Has had the most NBA talent of any other coach in the same time span. I could've won the same amount or more with that talent. Never said he wasn't a good recruiter because that would be a lie.

But coaching? He's Mr. roll the ball out.
That’s as much a part of coaching in college ball as anything at this point.

I feel like Billy Donovan actually is kind of attainable. They can definitely pay him more than the $6M per year that he’s getting from Chicago.

Bulls as a franchise are in like the worst position you can be in. Just under 500, no blue chip young guys. Won’t get a good draft pick.

Obviously he’d have to be cool with going back to college, but if he was, you can’t really get a better job than this. And he’s probably not getting a better NBA gig anytime soon.
I think the bag would have to be crazy to get Billy back to college at this point…Yo low key been in the NBA a long time now and doesn’t seem to be pressed about going back down to that level

Ain’t too much pressure on him in Chicago anyway, he can chill There for a couple more seasons

boilermakers-purdue-basketball.gif

Back
Top Bottom