The end of Best Buy??

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by E3LAL

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

RIM, Sony, and Best Buy all failing makes me happy.

It is sad, but this is what you get when you do not innovate/adapt.

innovation means jack **$@ to product underpricing when every product ends up practically the same (software)
then why continue to build the large stores?  they did nothing to change with the time/market.

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Wal Mart. Eventually its just going to be Wal Mart, department stores and probably Target(off the strength of people not wanting to go to Wal Mart.)
Walmart and Target don't carry high end electronics.

The will if things keep going the way they are. You know Sam Walton bout that supply and demand.
It's not Walmart's business model to carry high end products.  High end products are more of a niche market.  For every $2000 TV sold, there are probably 50 $500 TV's sold.  That's where Walmart will stay.  They aren't going to change what has made them hugely successful because other chain stores are failing.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

It is sad, but this is what you get when you do not innovate/adapt.

innovation means jack **$@ to product underpricing when every product ends up practically the same (software)
then why continue to build the large stores?  they did nothing to change with the time/market.

who says theyre continuing to build them?

what theyre facing is no different from any other retail store competing with online stores that can keep costs at a minimum by having one or very few large warehouses that can ship all over the country and the only way to "innovate/adapt" is to match prices

there is no "strategy" to adapt other than best buy possibly selling their own cheaper store brand electronics but who the hell would want that

With Amazon gaining popularity and ppl being ok with buying lesser quality products from Walmart and Target, I can see this happening. At least they can keep the mobile stores and not end up like circuit city

Originally Posted by CDonWasHisName

If best buy goes down this will make wonder even more. How the hell is Radio Shack around.

Ive always wondered this as well, but they serve a niche. Radio Shack always has that one random awkward part Im looking for or something. Im always suprised they stay open as well, but they are doing something right. They also dont have big stores to waste money on, most of them are smaller.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

If best buy goes down this will make wonder even more. How the hell is Radio Shack around.

Ive always wondered this as well, but they serve a niche. Radio Shack always has that one random awkward part Im looking for or something. Im always suprised they stay open as well, but they are doing something right. They also dont have big stores to waste money on, most of them are smaller.

Radio Shack is not doing well either.  Their stock is down 66% in the past year.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Radio Shack is not doing well either.  Their stock is down 66% in the past year.

pimp.gif

best buy aint that bad for some stuff, plus that occasionally have some deals.
Radioshack can go #*#@ themselves with a thick one.  Rather take the long @%% trip to B&H or J&R than deal with the radiocrap around here, pos.

I actually like Best Buy.. Sure there prices are sometimes frustrating.. But every week there are a handful of sales that are
pimp.gif

This is whats going to happen:

Some Private Equity firms are going to buy BestBuy. They are not going out of business.....well not before Carlyle/Bain/TPG/KKR/Blackstone/Apollo/Apax/etc. suck the life out of them.

Just like someone bought ToyR'Us, Burger King, etc.

The question is who. Apollo has been pretty active this year but I don't see them spearheading this. Also, given BBUY's ~7Bn valuation, this would need to be a club deal.......... Curious to see what kind of leverage they put on these guys.

The only big purchase I ever bought from Best Buy was the PSP when it first came out and couple copies of DVDs and games. I rather go to Fry's.

We'll see how their new business model works and that will determine their fate.

Their profit per sq foot has been hammered because they have too many gigantic @@$ stores. Then, they decided to cut inventory within the store, so in this huge stores there weren't even enough products to fill them.

If they cut their square footage, they may be able to compete w/ online retailers, or at least be much more competitive.

This situation begs the question, what will American suburb shopping centrs look like in the next 5-10 years. There's no need to have 30k sq foot stores w/ how e-tailing has taken off....

i only really go into best buy to look around/surf the web. only thing i really bought from them was a car stereo and had them install it

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

I love wasting time inside a best buy.

This.
I read an article last year about this. they will be gone by 2015 or 16...

Its funny how these giant stores were "the end" of the small mom and pop shops, and now online shopping is killing the giant stores and the mom and pop shops that hung in there or served as the local place for the smaller areas will be doing somewhat okay.

poor customer service and poor return policy are only the beginning. Costco all the way. only reason why I bought from Best Buy recently was to use up gift cards i had.

Working at best buy i have to say our customer service is #%*$. Im going out on a humble brag and say that im a good employee and when i go to other best buys i realize why were going under soon. Nobody asks me for help and i just see them talking and standing around. When it comes to knowledge pahahaha .. these "high end" magnolia dudes just make up $$%*%!*%. Ive actually schooled some of these dudes before (when im not on niketalk im constantly on the avsforums)...and it makes me salty that i didnt get promoted to the mag store. customer service and pricing is just one of many problems

im currently looking for another job..

Bestbuy is the only store I can buy something, take it home, try it out and return it without any hassle. Other stores question you like if they were cops. I hate that. Bestbuy is my go to store whenever I need anything from cables to blank CDs to DVDs. I hate shopping at sears and FRYS.,

I don't really understand why some of you are so dissatisfied with BB's Customer Service. The ones in the NYC region always tend to be helpful.

Hope they don't go under, their Black Friday deals and holiday season sales are a steal if you line up in time!

Originally Posted by djaward

Bestbuy is the only store I can buy something, take it home, try it out and return it without any hassle. Other stores question you like if they were cops. I hate that. 

I also like Best Buy for this reason, I can't even imagine how much of a hassle it is to return a big screen TV. When I bought my 46" LED-LCD 2 years ago, it came with a dead pixel and returned and got a new one within 20 minutes, no hassle at all.And no waiting a few days, I get inpatient waiting stuff in the mail sometimes. And they offer no interest for 3 years and the tv was on sale for a great price.  So far, BB is the only store I know that can provide that.
I also like to walk around and check out stuff that I may not even know exist. It's great to be able to try stuff out in store before actually purchasing, even if I eventually buy online anyways. With BB, I can even sometimes buy it, try it and return and then in turn buy it online for a cheaper price. Frys works for this too though but their stores aren't everywhere. There must be at least 5 Best Buys within a 30-40 miles range in my area. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom