****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

Why do we lend any credence to Lavar Ball's comments on the Lakers?

It's really bizarre to me. Let's keep it a buck here...90% of sports talk consists of BS opinions. First Take, Undisputed, SportsNation, PTI, NikeTalk, etc.

What makes Lavar's commentary any different than say....Colin Cowherd's or Bill Simmons'?

If you're telling me it's because his son is on the team...I'm not buying it...because he's not in the ****ing locker room or have anything to do with the team in ANY professional capacity.

He didn't say **** about Julius Randle that hasn't been uttered by millions of people on Twitter every day...or by any NBA Analyst within the past few years. But suddently because his son is on the team...it holds more weight?

I don't get it.
Put away the cape my man.

Big difference between a talking head and an overbearing parent. Go to any high school game and you'll see how awkward and corny it is for everyone.

But we all saw this coming a mile away. So can't act surprised by what Lavar is doing. Lakers knew what they were getting themselves into....

That’s the problem though. Lonzo already playing inconsistent, and Lavar saying the problem for that is the coaches? And also he trying to implicate Lonzo’s words into justifying his criticism lol

Lavar gotta be realistic with this, Lonzo is talented, but his production doesn’t warrant him to be playing in the 4th quarter all the time for now. Lavar gotta chill on this one. This isn’t Chino Hills high school, this is the NBA, you can’t be talkin this type of disrespect about the Lakers organization. Lonzo doesn’t need the added stress and pressure also.

Here's my problem:

You're lending credence to comments by acknowledging them in the first place. Why even go as far as to counter his comments with an actual REAL viewpoint on how Lonzo is playing? :lol: The two aren't related AT ALL. This is like the people who (FOR YEARS) would run to the internet to talk about and refute Skip Bayless saying some stupid **** like "Lebron isn't top 50". It took 10 years for people to understand his schtick is to say these things. A Lakers beat writer could have had the same opinion as Lavar and printed that **** on the front page of the LA Times...and we wouldn't be talking about it. Why is Lavar's comments being held to the standard of a person with REAL rank and stature? If Lavar Ball is the VP of Basketball Ops for the Lakers...then these comments are problematic. But he isn't. I find it funny that Jahlil Okafor's dad has been ****TING on the Sixers in the media for the past 2 years and that **** doesn't make a dent in trending topics. I haven't heard once about Okafor's dad being a "distraction" in the locker room.

Honestly...I think I'm viewing the entire Ball Saga as theatre..and have an interest in the business that's being made BEHIND the theater...whereas alot of people seem to be taking this **** seriously :lol:

Let's rewind to how we got here in the first place....a man simply just had to say his NBA prospect of a son was better than Stephen Curry and that he personally could beat Michael Jordan in a game of 1 on 1.

incredulous.gif

That's no different than YOU OR I saying the same thing :lol:. People ACTUALLY were moved to explain why his opinions were crazy and false. He continues to run the same exact script and people KEEP getting suckered into the shock and awe of it.

To anyone that's observed Lonzo Ball since he was in the 11th grade or earlier...hell even if you just started watching him at UCLA...you know he's displaying the same strengths and weaknesses from day one. Anyone with a basketball brain KNEW he would struggle early on. This don't have **** to with Lavar Ball.

If we don't know who Lavar Ball is...we're not even critiquing Lonzo to the level he's been critiqued at right now. He'd simply be another 19-20 year that's having growing pains in his first couple of months. The Lakers #2 pick last year was complete ****ing trash and didn't even get talked about this much. Lavar Ball trolled the entire world into somehow viewing Lonzo THE most scrutinized prospect since Lebron James.

The Lakers KNEW this and they're in on it too. That franchise as ALWAYS been in the business of entertainment beyond the basketball court and this is just the latest chapter. Those guys in that locker room can turn on their instagram and have millions of people telling them how trash they are after a bad game and how they hope they die. They can turn on their local sports radio and hear revered sports media guys clamoring for their trades or questioning their talent. But I'm supposed to believe that Lavar Ball's words somehow hold more power than anyone elses to the point where he could be considered a "distraction"?

Nah man I aint' goin.

Last edited:
He can't call out the team or organization because his son still gotta be around these people everyday. They gonna black ball that boy. He need to focus on lamelo, the other 2 boys grown

Put away the cape my man.

Big difference between a talking head and an overbearing parent. Go to any high school game and you'll see how awkward and corny it is for everyone.

But we all saw this coming a mile away. So can't act surprised by what Lavar is doing. Lakers knew what they were getting themselves into....

FOH :lol: I wouldn't care if Lavar Ball's truck skid off a cliff on the PCH and burst into flames.

Difference between you and I is that this **** is ALL entertainment to me. You silly ****** are the ones sitting here giving emotional responses thinking that what you are watching is ANYTHING but entertainment :lol:

He can't call out the team or organization because his son still gotta be around these people everyday. They gonna black ball that boy. He need to focus on lamelo, the other 2 boys grown

Sorry. Pro sports doesn't work this way.

If you can ball...you can ball. Nobody gives a **** about his father. The same way that if D"Angelo Russell was showing out...it woudn't have mattered that he was a "snitch" and he'd still be there.

I really can't understand how folks can't see this. To claim that his rants are meaningless like people on tweeter is laughable, their #2 pick father is giving interviews where he's second guessing the head coach and organization. IDK about black balling, but if I was a GM/owner I would want no parts of this side show.

Here's my problem:

You're lending credence to comments by acknowledging them in the first place. Why even go as far as to counter his comments with an actual REAL viewpoint on how Lonzo is playing? :lol: The two aren't related AT ALL. This is like the people who (FOR YEARS) would run to the internet to talk about and refute Skip Bayless saying some stupid **** like "Lebron isn't top 50". It took 10 years for people to understand his schtick is to say these things. A Lakers beat writer could have had the same opinion as Lavar and printed that **** on the front page of the LA Times...and we wouldn't be talking about it. Why is Lavar's comments being held to the standard of a person with REAL rank and stature? If Lavar Ball is the VP of Basketball Ops for the Lakers...then these comments are problematic. But he isn't. I find it funny that Jahlil Okafor's dad has been ****TING on the Sixers in the media for the past 2 years and that **** doesn't make a dent in trending topics. I haven't heard once about Okafor's dad being a "distraction" in the locker room.

Honestly...I think I'm viewing the entire Ball Saga as theatre..and have an interest in the business that's being made BEHIND the theater...whereas alot of people seem to be taking this **** seriously :lol:

Let's rewind to how we get here in the first place....a man simply just had to say his NBA prospect of a son was better than Stephen Curry and that he personally could beat Michael Jordan in a game of 1 on 1.

incredulous.gif

That's no different than YOU OR I saying the same thing :lol:. People ACTUALLY were moved to explain why his opinions were crazy and false. He continues to run the same exact script and people KEEP getting suckered into the shock and awe of it.

To anyone that's observed Lonzo Ball since he was in the 11th grade or earlier...hell even if you just started watching him at UCLA...you know he's displaying the same strengths and weaknesses from day one. Anyone with a basketball brain KNEW he would struggle early on. This don't have **** to with Lavar Ball.

If we don't know who Lavar Ball is...we're not even critiquing Lonzo to the level he's been critiqued at right now. He'd simply be another 19-20 year that's having growing pains in his first couple of months. The Lakers #2 pick last year was complete ****ing trash and didn't even get talked about this much. Lavar Ball trolled the entire world into somehow viewing Lonzo THE most scrutinized prospect since Lebron James.

The Lakers KNEW this and they're in on it too. That franchise as ALWAYS been in the business of entertainment beyond the basketball court and this is just the latest chapter. Those guys in that locker room can turn on their instagram and have millions of people telling him how trash they are after a bad game. They can turn on their local sports radio and here revered sports media guys clamoring for their trades or questioning their talent. But I'm supposed to believe that Lavar Ball's words somehow hold more power than anyone elses to the point where he could be considered a "distraction"?

Nah man I aint' goin.
Breh just because you see it as entertainment doesn’t mean professional orgs see the criticism as “entertainment”.

Just think about it. What if the Lakers don’t want Lonzo anymore after his rookie contract is up? The other teams gonna look at that baggage and be like “we gonna give you this lowball offer” or not even give an offer at all because the negative PR isn’t worth it.

So yeah, it may grab attention, but I think the last thing the Lakers want is some negative PR like this, especially when we want to get some key free agents in 2018.

Then again, who knows? Maybe the whole thing blows over.
But I still think that PR move by Lavar is a hinderance to Lonzo and the Lakers.

Breh just because you see it as entertainment doesn’t mean professional orgs see the criticism as “entertainment”.

Just think about it. What if the Lakers don’t want Lonzo anymore after his rookie contract is up? The other teams gonna look at that baggage and be like “we gonna give you this lowball offer” or not even give an offer at all because the negative PR isn’t worth it.

So yeah, it may grab attention, but I think the last thing the Lakers want is some negative PR like this, especially when we want to get some key free agents in 2018.

Then again, who knows? Maybe the whole thing blows over.
But I still think that PR move by Lavar is a hinderance to Lonzo and the Lakers.

I think it's hilarious that you BELIEVE the Lakers didn't know what they were signing up for :lol:

Ya'll believe that this is "baggage" :lol:

Lonzo Ball's future in the NBA will depend on how Lonzo Ball performs on the floor. His dad could be Bill ****ing Cosby and if he's putting up numbers and winning games...it won't matter. This isn't "negative PR".

It's simply sensationalized nonsense in THE ERA of sensationalized nonsense and pitchfork culture.

I think it's hilarious that you BELIEVE the Lakers didn't know what they were signing up for :lol:

Lonzo Ball's future in the NBA will depend on how Lonzo Ball performs on the floor. His dad could be Bill ****ing Cosby and if he's putting up numbers and winning games...it won't matter. This isn't "negative PR".

It's simply sensationalized nonsense in THE ERA of sensationalized nonsense and pitchfork culture.
Well, Lavar actually promised Magic that he would not follow his son if they were to draft his son, and the Lakers had to enforce the “Lavar Ball rule” last week so that the media wouldnt be able to interview him after the games........so it’s not nonsense

I dont think you can say that if a player is putting in work the pro orgs wouldnt give a **** what their parents do, see eric lindross in his prime.

Well, Lavar actually promised Magic that he would not follow his son if they were to draft his son, and the Lakers had to enforce the “Lavar Ball rule” last week so that the media wouldnt be able to interview him after the games........so it’s not nonsense

Again...ya'll caught up in the sensationalism that nobody even really read the "rule". It's not a rule they made up...it's a rule they've BEEN had and are merely enforcing it because for the first time they HAVE to enforce it because they've never had a media frenzy for someone in the friends/family area. This is also standard in virtually EVERY arena in the country.

"It's not a new policy; it's an existing policy," a team spokesperson told ESPN. "There has been more media presence in that area than before. That section is strictly for family and guests of players. It's a privacy concern."

But all sports media have to do is throw in the words "The Lavar Ball Rule" and suddenly people ignore the fine print and run with the headline :smh:

And what makes you the expert on what the Lakers expected?

LaVar explicitly said he would fall back, and used him not saying anything about Alford to push back against accusations that he would be a distraction to the Lakers.

Unless the entire Lakers Org. knows Lonzo is disgusted with the situation, LaVar outchea snitching on his boy.

He need to fall back. It is reasonable to expect LaVar to be a self promoter. But LaVar specifically promised he would not be a distraction, and act like this. The Lakers might have taken his word on this. But now he has clearly not living up to his own words.

Again...ya'll caught up in the sensationalism that nobody even really read the "rule". It's not a rule they made up...it's a rule they've BEEN had and are merely enforcing it because for the first time they HAVE to enforce it because they've never had a media frenzy for someone in the friends/family area. This is also standard in virtually EVERY arena in the country.

But all sports media have to do is throw in the words "The Lavar Ball Rule" and suddenly people ignore the fine print and run with the headline :smh:
:rofl:Where did I say that they had to make that rule? I just said they had to enforce the rule.

Brah stop caping so hard. How much is Lavar paying you per post?

And what makes you the expert on what the Lakers expected?

LaVar explicitly said he would fall back, and used him not saying anything about Alford to push back against accusations that he would be a distraction.

Unless the entire Lakers Org. knows Lonzo is disgusted with the situation, LaVar outchea snitching on his boy.

He need to fall back. It is reasonable to expect LaVar to be a self promoter. It LaVar specifically promised he would not be a distraction, and act like this.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on anything. I'm giving my viewpoint like you are. We're here to agree or to disagree right?

If in this VERY thread were talking about Lavar being a "distraction" before he was even drafted...you're telling me that a professional sports franchise didn't...and that if they did, their concerns were eased by this "promise" you speak of? Aight man...

Please show me this quote where this "promise" was made . I very VIVIDLY remembering him saying that Magic Johnson can't tell him what to do.

"[Magic is] not going to have no problems with what I do because he can't tell me what to do," Ball said, per Bill Oram of the SoCal News Group. "You worry about Lonzo."

To which Magic responded:

Johnson agreed with the sentiment at Lakers media day last week, noting he was more concerned with Lonzo Ball than his father, LaVar.

"Only time I am going to concern myself with what [Lonzo] does off the court is if it is affecting his play on the court," he said, per Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN.

:rofl:Where did I say that they had to make that rule? I just said they had to enforce the rule.

Brah stop caping so hard. How much is Lavar paying you per post?

You ****** are so hell bent on polarized discussions that you think what I'm doing is "caping". Caping would be speaking up for and co-signing what Lavar is doing. I haven't done that. The MAJORITY of what I'm saying is directed towards the people in this thread...so please tell me who i'm caping for?

YOU ****** are the ones who've been sitting in here for a whole year now making psychoanalyses on his parenting skills thinking ya'll know everything from a Facebook reality show :lol:

I don't GIVE A FLYING **** ABOUT LAVAR BALL OR HIS SONS. I've stated that MANY times in here. I rag on Lonzo on the regular and I've been telling ya'll Gelo was trash when some of you silly ****** who only watch basketball in the spring seriously believed "he might have a shot because he can shoot" :lol:.

I'm in this as an observer. I have no dog in ANY fight here.

I guess we have come a long way from only blaming Zo, and letting the team handle on court stuff, and Zo playing for the coaches he playing for.

Relevant part starts at 4:00 mins in, when he is asked about Chino Hills former coach.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1330711

While the fact comes as little surprise, the apparent admission is a candid bit of honesty from LaVar Ball.

Los Angeles Lakers president Magic Johnson says that Ball admitted to him that his media antics are all designed to bring his sons - led by NBA No. 2 draft pick Lonzo - and his company, Big Baller Brand, publicity.

"(LaVar) just said it's marketing," Johnson told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne. "That's what he had to do to market not only his son but the brand. Before I met him I had already thought that. I already knew what he was doing."

While most observers could have deduced that from afar, even Johnson and Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka knew they at least had to investigate. According to Shelburne, they visited the family's suburban Los Angeles home a week before the draft to see father and son in their natural environment. They came away impressed.

"He said, 'Earvin, look, I'm not following my son,'" Johnson said. "'I'm not going to be hanging out in L.A. ... as far as training my boy, this is as far as I can take him. I'll leave it up to you to take him further.'"

Ball's prominence in the media over the past year has edged into cringeworthy territory at times, such as when he critiqued the son of LeBron James or made an insensitive remark about Kyrie Irving's upbringing. Yet Johnson credits the senior Ball for the power of positive thinking - he always wanted Lonzo to play for the Lakers, and now that's happening.

"It's just amazing that it has all happened, the way it happened," Johnson said. "For (LaVar) to talk it into fruition."

LaVar Ball also isn't done on the public stage yet. He has two other sons, including youngest LaMelo, who is a top-five recruit in the class of 2019.

Yet he's speaking the opposite in December. So yeah, Lavar should stay in his lane as he promised.

You *****s are so hell bent on polarized discussions that you think what I'm doing is "caping". Caping would be speaking up for and co-signing what Lavar is doing. I haven't done that. The MAJORITY of what I'm saying is directed towards the people in this thread...so please tell me who i'm caping for?

YOU *****S are the ones who've been sitting in here for a whole year now making psychoanalyses on his parenting skills thinking ya'll know everything from a Facebook reality show :lol:

I don't GIVE A FLYING **** ABOUT LAVAR BALL OR HIS SONS. I've stated that MANY times in here. I rag on Lonzo on the regular and I've been telling ya'll Gelo was trash when some of you silly *****s who only watch basketball in the spring seriously believed "he might have a shot because he can shoot" :lol:.

:lol: :lol: Yeah, sure.

You *****s are so hell bent on polarized discussions that you think what I'm doing is "caping". Caping would be speaking up for and co-signing what Lavar is doing. I haven't done that. The MAJORITY of what I'm saying is directed towards the people in this thread...so please tell me who i'm caping for?

YOU *****S are the ones who've been sitting in here for a whole year now making psychoanalyses on his parenting skills thinking ya'll know everything from a Facebook reality show :lol:

I don't GIVE A FLYING **** ABOUT LAVAR BALL OR HIS SONS. I've stated that MANY times in here. I rag on Lonzo on the regular and I've been telling ya'll Gelo was trash when some of you silly *****s who only watch basketball in the spring seriously believed "he might have a shot because he can shoot" :lol:.

You've literally co-signed everything Lavar has done to this point in your last few posts.

Then say you're not really caping because you trashed Lonzo and Gelo's game?

Huh? What their game got to do with Lavar? :lol:

Please name one thing that you disagreed with on Lavar that actually has to do with Lavar. If you can't, then you caping my man :pimp:

So now that you guys have shared with me those two events from May...what do you have to say to Lavar's comments and Magic's response in October? AFTER summer league, training camp and at the beginning of the actual season?
So you comeback is a whataboutisms?

Furthermore, you realize you just undercut the entire premise of your argument. If LaVar made comments before the draft that he would chill, but after the draft he changed up.
Then the Lakers did not know what they were getting themselves into.

You know that right?

Last edited:
At the end of the day people will tolerate the sideshow if you’re worth it.

Think Allen Iverson, when he was winning mvp, teams put up with the missed practices and theatrics. Come 2011 when he was past his prime, no one signed him because they deemed him not worth the headache, not a good influence on younger players and not a good fit for a contender when he thought he was still the main go to guy.

If Lonzo plays at a level where it’s worth dealing with the LaVar sideshow, they’ll let it rock. If come year 3 or so and he’s not playing at that level, LaVars presence will become more magnified and will be deemed a distraction not worth dealing with.

Personally though it makes for good back and forth on here, but the minute the LaVar stuff becomes an internal locker room issue that’s when any type of real drama will come from it.

Who knows what Lonzo says about it behind the scenes, but a simple “what my pops says is what my pops says, it has nothing to do with me, and his words don’t reflect how I feel” would go a long way.

So you comeback is a whataboutisms? Even then, it shows LaVar's hypocrisy because he concern with Zo is not rooted in an off the court issue. It is rooted in coaching decisions during the game. So your argument is undercut there

Furthermore, you realize you just undercut the entire premise of your argument. If LaVar made comments before the draft that he would chill, but after the draft he changed up.

Then the Lakers did not know what they were getting themselves into.

You know that right?

That would only undercut my premise...if I...like you...BELIEVED that they didn't know what they were getting into back then.

You know that right?

You're the one who brought up this alleged promise as the basis for why you believe they didn't see this coming. Not me.

I also asked you what you thought about the October comments and Magic's response...as that is a MORE RECENT event we have to reference back to on this specfic topic. I didn't post that link as a "comeback".

I'm not here to debate with you ****** on some "I'm right and you're wrong" ****. I've already established that we not even looking at this whole thing through the same lense.

Back
Top Bottom