The Major League Baseball Post

Sucks that Heyward is out tonight. Was looking forward to a Heyward/Strasburg match-up.

What's up with Choo KLJ? I heard he has a military commitment to figure out soon and he's going to miss two years off action?

Zumaya's arm fell off tonight. Im not sure if i want to watch the video. They said that he threw the ball then his arm was just hanging there after. he broke/dislocated something serious

I really hope the Phillies stick with Ibanez and don't try to bring up Dominic Brown. Same with the BJ Upton/Wade Davis Desmond Jennings/Jeremy Hellickson combo.

I am absolutely loving baseball this year
pimp.gif

It seems like on a nightly basis we're seeing great things happening. Today with Lee throwing his 3rd consecutive complete game and 5th of the year. Against the Yankees in NY no less. This is the Mariners we're talking about here. Span with 3 freakin' triples. 75% of the players in the league don't ever get that in a full season.

Reminds me why baseball truly is my favorite sport.

The All-Star Game is right around the corner, and while it's usually the big hitters that get the majority of bids to the Midsummer Classic, that doesn't mean the slick fielders should be ignored. With that in mind, here are the top defensive players at each position thus far in 2010, using Defensive Runs Saved, a stat we've developed at Baseball Info Solutions that measures how each player fares relative to the average fielder at their position.

[*]
4454.jpg
Pitcher -- Mark Buehrle, White Sox, +6 runs: Remember that between-the-legs flip on Opening Day? Well, Buehrle's defensive prowess is nothing new, and his greatest skill is controlling the running game. Since 2006, 60 percent (26 out of 43) of potential base stealers have failed against him, and 20 of those were erased via the pickoff. Honorable mention: Ricky Romero, Blue Jays, +6

[*]
5355.jpg
Catcher -- Miguel Olivo, Rockies, +9: He has thrown out 52 percent (17 of 33) of attempted base stealers this year, easily a career high for the nine-year veteran. Honorable mention: Yadier Molina, Cardinals, +6

[*]
6397.jpg
First Base -- Daric Barton, Athletics, +12: He’s played fewer than 300 games at first base in the majors but has 23 Runs Saved to his credit. Finally in the lineup everyday, Barton is comfortably pacing the league. Honorable mention: Justin Morneau, Twins, and Russell Branyan, Mariners, +8

[*]
5383.jpg
Second Base -- Chase Utley, Phillies, +15: Is there a more underrated superstar than Utley? He's been the best player on the Phillies for the past four years, and yet two of his teammates have won NL MVP awards. Utley has put up double-digit Runs Saved for the sixth straight season at a premium defensive position and leads all of baseball in Total Runs since 2005, his first full season. Honorable mention: Robinson Cano, Yankees, +12

[*]
6389.jpg
Third Base -- Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals, +12: Last season’s Fielding Bible Award winner and Web Gem champion is no surprise here. Interestingly, converted third basemen Chase Headley and Jose Lopez are more than holding their own at the position, saving at least 10 runs each with their glove. Honorable mention: Jose Lopez, Mariners, +11, and Chase Headley, Padres, +10

[*]
28952.jpg
28662.jpg
Shortstop -- Yunel Escobar, Braves, and Alexei Ramirez, White Sox, +11: Escobar isn’t really a surprise here, finishing with double digit Runs Saved in each of the past two seasons. Ramirez’s recent defense play has been a pleasant surprise for White Sox fans after saving just two runs last year in his first season at the position. Honorable mention: Alex Gonzalez, Blue Jays, +14

[*]
5035.jpg
Left field -- Carl Crawford, Rays, +10: This three-time Fielding Bible Award winner recently leapfrogged Colorado’s Seth Smith for the positional Runs Saved lead, and don't expect him to relinquish the spot. With defense comprising a large portion of his overall value, Crawford will be an interesting free agent to follow this winter. [*]
29453.jpg
Center field -- Austin Jackson, Tigers, +14: Lost in the ninth inning of Armando Galarraga’s near-perfecto was Jackson's over-the-shoulder catch in the ninth inning. Those types of plays are par for the course for this rookie. Honorable mention: Marlon Byrd, Cubs, +12

[*]
4570.jpg
Right field -- Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners, +14: While his arm isn’t what it once was, Ichiro is still the best defensive right fielder in the game. Honorable mention: Ryan Ludwick, Cardinals, +8

That Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson swap isn't looking too good for the Yanks right now. Expecially when you consider the huge salary difference.

During the Yankee game tonight, a text-poll question was "Is Ken Griffey Jr a 1st Ballot H.O.F.?". 70% yes, 30% no.

I would love to know what the reasoning why not from the 30%.

why is Yadier Molina an all star when his stats are poor?

AVG .235
HR 3
RBI 30

That is not worthy of starting an ASG not even reserve

Miguel Olivo should be starting over Molina by a big margin IMO.

Greinke is struggling without him, Jimenez is flourishing with him (not saying he's the only reason but it's not a coincidence) and he is way more capable with the bat this season.

Utley needs to have surgery. Tough break for the Phils. They should seriously consider trading Werth to the Padres or Giants for some pitching, instead of trading for Haren. Then again, that could be the Mets fan inside of me.

I won't rain on your parade.

laugh.gif

Wildcat would appreciate this:

Coming into today, if you had to guess what National League first baseman was leading the league in wOBA, whom would you pick? Albert Pujols? Adrian Gonzalez? Prince Fielder? It’s actually Reds first baseman Joey Votto, who, with a .425 wOBA, is also leading the entire NL and is fourth in all of baseball.

Those facts may come as a shock to some baseball fans, but they really shouldn’t. Ever since he came to the big leagues, all Votto has done is hit. With a career line of .310/.393/.543 (.400 wOBA), his breakout season at age twenty-six may just be a sign of things to come. With a UZR/150 of 10.1 this year (after -1.5 in 2009 and 11.9 in 2008), Votto has cemented himself as one of the most valuable properties in baseball.

What’s also been shocking is how Votto has been so upfront and honest about his struggles with depression. Playing in a macho sport where players are told to “suck it up

The best utility player in baseball deserves to go, right? Right?

Back
Top Bottom