The Major League Baseball Post

Dear any MLB club, Please take Hawpe and Cook off the Rockies hands. Thanks. Sincerely anyone who has a watched a Rockies game this year

Carlos Gonzalez hits for the cycle, capped off by a 462 foot walkoff homer.

8-10 in the first two games of the series against Chicago. 2 home runs, 4 runs batted in, 5 runs scored and a stolen base.

laugh.gif
   Stat geeks, impress me none.

The Braves Mike Minor will be making his Major League Debut tonight against the Astros he was selected #7 in the 2009 draft.

I haven't seen him pitch hope he can live up to his high draft pick.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Osh didn't post anything about Arencibia's debut?
I'm trying to temper my excitement, never liked as a prospect, hit alot of bombs in a notorious hitters park in las vagas, general lack of plate dicipline, he just strikes as the type of hitter who major league pitchers will figure out really quick.

Hope im wrong.

Someone PLEASE tell me WHY they have this prick Rex Hudler on my precious MLB Network?

I'm going to throw my laptop at the TV, I cannot stand this guy at ALL, he's on Joe Morgan Jon Miller  level
smh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

I'm going to fly out to Secaucus myself and take that *+*#@+% baseball from his hands and shove it up his +%@

Chipper Jones torn ACL out for year, who knows he might retire
frown.gif
made an excellent jump throw but landed bad.

Braves need a replacement. 

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Chipper Jones torn ACL out for year, who knows he might retire
frown.gif
made an excellent jump throw but landed bad.

Braves need a replacement. 
That really sucks.  Hopefully this is not the end for him... considering the dude's been playing really well this season I wonder if this triggers the end to the Braves 2010 run. I want to see them in the post-season so hopefully not.

Apparently Mark Prior is pitching very well in the Independent League
nerd.gif

His name.......Starlin Castro. 
pimp.gif

Learn that league kid, learn that league. 

I hope the offseason lets us move several vets out, we are dreadful right now, we need such an infusion of youth it's ridiculous. 

SMH at the Dodgers lose to the Phillies

Blake missed a double play and Broxton just gave up the game.

Updated: August 11, 2010, 9:13 AM ET
[h1]The Chicago Cubs' long road back[/h1][h3]A look at the organizational depth of the Cubs, Indians and Blue Jays[/h3]

By Kevin Goldstein
Baseball Prospectus
Archive

0811Castro.jpg
Getty ImagesStarlin Castro will be a Cub for a long time, but the depth around him isn't superb.

It's going to be a fairly competitive stretch run -- with the exception of the AL West, all divisions are seemingly up for grabs. Still, though, like every mid-August of a baseball season, certain teams are already cooked. Today we're going to look at the future potential of three such squads: the Chicago Cubs, Cleveland Indians and Toronto Blue Jays.

• For the Cubs, only one major contract comes off the books this winter -- so the rebuild could take a few years.

• The Indians used to be the model for building mid-market teams; that's less the case these days, but their system is very deep.

• The Jays suffer the fate of playing in the AL East -- and to compound that problem, their organization is not currently rich in talent.
[h3] The Cubs [/h3]
The bad news here is that the team is still more than a year away from being able to begin a true rebuilding process; the only big contract coming off the books this winter is Derrek Lee.

While shortstop Starlin Castro and righty Andrew Cashner have given the club a minor glimpse of the future, the problem is runs scored (the Cubs are currently 12th in the NL there). Josh Vitters hasn't lived up to expectations, so Brett Jackson is the only guy in the system who can seemingly contribute offensively in the next couple of years.

There's better news on the pitching level -- but much of that goes to the Cubs' hopefully making the decision to return Cashner to the rotation. After selecting him with their first pick in 2008 as the top college closer in the county, the Cubs made the risky decision to convert him to a starter, but they handled the transformation in a way that should be a template for every team considering the same. To toss all of that work aside for a 60-70 inning reliever would be a sad waste of fantastic execution.

Another potential answer could be -- believe it or not -- Jeff Samardzija. His bonus was a little ridiculous, and his career MLB ERA is 5.89 -- but at Triple-A Iowa, he's added an 87-90 mph cutter that finally gives him a second pitch. This should help him be more successful the next time he's pitching at Wrigley. Also at Triple-A, righty Jay Jackson should be able to contribute in a starting or relief role, but the inability to score runs could plague this team for years to come.
[h3] The Indians [/h3]
In the mid-1990s under John Hart, the Indians were a model for how to successfully build mid-market teams. It hasn't been the case of late, though: This year will be the ninth time in the past decade that Cleveland has missed the playoffs.

There's good news, though: Their farm system is very deep; at every position there's a few guys you could classify as "intriguing," even if there's not another true stud like Carlos Santana.

The biggest problems in the big league lineup revolve around the infield, and the club has answers on the way. Converted to second base in the offseason, 2009 second-round pick Jason Kipnis has been nothing short of a revelation this year, batting .315/.398/.506 (BA/OBP/SLG) in his first full season at Double-A. At the hot corner, 2008 first-rounder Lonnie Chisenhall looks more and more like the answer. After a slow start, Chisenhall has found his power streak of late, hitting six home runs in 87 at-bats since the All-Star break while slugging .540. Both he and Kipnis could be ready by 2011; when they make the Indians' big-league lineup, they should be above-average everyday players at their positions.

The club's two most recent first-rounders, left-handed pitcher Drew Pomeranz (2010) and right-hander Alex White (2009), both look like future rotation stalwarts. The most pleasant surprise in the system has been another pitcher, 2009 third-round pick Joe Gardner. The Cal Santa Barbara product doesn't light up a radar gun, but his sinker is among the best in the minors, as across two A-levels he's allowed just 82 hits in 120 innings while striking out 123.
[h3] The Jays [/h3]
While the Blue Jays are on the verge of their fourth winning season in the past six years, they haven't reached the postseason since their World Series championship in 1993. That's partially (if not mostly) because of playing in the AL East; however, that fact isn't likely to change soon, so the Jays need to develop talent to give them a fighting chance.

Unfortunately, any such progress in that area is going to take some time. While J.P. Arencibia had a stunning big league debut and should become a star-level offensive catcher in short order, most of the team's top position prospects are in A-ball or below and should offer little help in the near future.

In the eyes of most scouts, with Arencibia up, the only Blue Jays hitter at Double- or Triple-A who projects as an everyday player is 21-year-old Cuban shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria, who is already big league ready (and more) on a defensive level and is making big strides with the bat; his line at Double-A New Hampshire is now .297/.333/.392.

Kevin Goldstein covers prospects and player development for Baseball Prospectus, and you can follow him on Twitter.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by JPZx

So you and the White Sox run on the same heartbeat then? When they're dead, you're dead, and when they're alive, you're alive? Interesting.
and the stumbling fumbling Twins helped resurrect us

pimp.gif
Not surprised your not here
smh.gif

Twins 4.0 games up up on the White Sox in the Central.... losing series to the Orioles, Tigers
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
.... that's not how you play down the stretch in a division race.

Bet it was an extra knife in the heart to see Jim Thome end the game like that? Andruw Jones lmao
laugh.gif

28b87bc.jpg

2ustm2p.jpg

Back
Top Bottom