Delmon Young is an animal.
THIS!

One good season out of three ain't so bad

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

How's that up and coming 3rd basemen Gordon Beckham faring this season? .239 is it? Hmm. Could have sworn you said he'd be at the top of the game by now
nerd.gif

Peavy was a great pickup. Iron man... I tell ya. Both season's you had him he's gone down with a season threatening/ending injury.

Your fizzling White Sox are going to have to deal with Delmon Young for years to come though... sorry about that. It'll be business as usual though, White Sox looking up at the Twins, so you might not even notice the difference.

Originally Posted by JPZx

How's that up and coming 3rd basemen Gordon Beckham faring this season? .239 is it? Hmm. Could have sworn you said he'd be at the top of the game by now
nerd.gif

Peavy was a great pickup. Iron man... I tell ya. Both season's you had him he's gone down with a season threatening/ending injury.

Your fizzling White Sox are going to have to deal with Delmon Young for years to come though... sorry about that. It'll be business as usual though, White Sox looking up at the Twins, so you might not even notice the difference.

Beckham has picked it up lately.  Considering that he was flirting with the Mendoza line before the break.  He's be on fire recently.   I think he will pick it up before the season is over and hit a respectable .275

Young has been picking it up this year but let's not go crazy and call him a problem for the White Sox for years to come...

Although, I will admit I was wrong about that trade being more one sided than it actually is.

Heard from a very irate Twins fan yesterday that there have been 159 no hitters since 1950 and only 5 players with 5 hits, a HR and 7 RBI's in a game in the same time period and Garza got more TV time
laugh.gif

They really should think about keeping Ibanez as their pinch hitter off the bench or at least go with a platoon out there. Brown is gonna be a stud next year.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Last series in Minnesota

9 -14, HR, 5 RBIs in 4 games

pimp.gif
That's a cool story.

Delmon Young has a .334 batting average, 14 HRs, 79 RBI, .548 slugging percentage... at a little over the halfway point.

That's good for 4th in the MLB for batting average, 3rd in the AL in RBI (two behind Ryan Howard, three behind Alex Rodriguez, and eight AHEAD of a guy named Albert Pujols).

We get it, he's having a breakout year. RBI is probably one of the most useless stats in baseball, though.

You could call it useless, but ironically all the game's top players are at the top of the RBI list.

laugh.gif
And don't hit me with the "We get it" bit... I've been responding to the dude downplaying Delmon's year.

It is extremely useless in an argument about who is the better player or who is having a better season which is mainly what RBI is used for.

I think a stat like he's 49th in OBP, 13th in slugging and 15th in OPS is more of an indication of how well he is playing this season.

RBIs are entirely a function of the guys ahead of you getting on base... It's not a skill.

I'd argue that it is a skill. It shows whether or not a player is proficient at hitting with 2-outs or in pressure situations when their team needs runs.

I completely disagree. It's determined more by the people in front of you and how often they get on base (as Dirk said). Take an Ichiro to Ortiz comparison. The bases are loaded with two outs and both are facing right handed pitchers, who would you rather have at the plate? You want a guy who makes an out 65% of the time or a guy who makes an out 75% of the time? I'm a Keith Law guy, I tend to agree that there is a such thing as clutch hitting but there is no such thing as a clutch hitter. You want the guy at the plate who's going to give you the least chance of making an out rather than someone to depend on getting a long ball.

Same can actually be said for batting average as a matter of fact but I won't go as far as to say BA is completely useless...

*waits for Osh to come in*
nerd.gif

Hitting in pressure situations or with 2 outs is also not a skill.

Over the course of a career, those kinds of things generally even out.

JPZx wrote:

That's good for 4th in the MLB for batting average, 3rd in the AL in RBI (two behind Ryan Howard, three behind Alex Rodriguez, and eight AHEAD of a guy named Albert Pujols).

So by your logical, Delmon Young is a better player than Albert Pujols because he batted in more runs??

I need to hear this one.

laugh.gif

Mark Cuban might not even get to the plate in his potential attempt to buy the Texas Rangers.

It was announced in court on Friday that chief restructuring officer William K. Snyder had worked out a "substantially enhanced" offer for the team from Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg and Rangers president Nolan Ryan, according to multiple reports.

More on the Rangers
Richard Durrett and the rest of the ESPNDallas.com team have the inside scoop on the Rangers, the American League and Major League Baseball. Blog

The deal means that next Wednesday's auction for the team may be off, leaving potential bidders like Dallas Mavericks owner Cuban and Houston businessman Jim Crane on the sidelines.

Snyder eliminated all side deals in the Greenberg-Ryan bid. Arrangements had originally been made in which owner Tom Hicks could sell parking lots and a building at Rangers Park to the group and pocket nearly $70 million, even while creditors clamor for their money from the bankrupt team.

Those deals are out, and the new bid from Greenberg-Ryan is reportedly about $40 million higher than the original cash price of about $310 million.

Still, Cuban's attorney, Clifton Jessup, attacked the backroom deal, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He said that Cuban could have beaten other bidders if the auction had gone off as planned.

Crane's attorney said his client had found new investors and could have also made a solid bid, either with Cuban or alone.

On Wednesday, New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez filed an objection to auctioning off the team, raising concerns about whether he would receive the $24.9 million he's owed in deferred compensation.

Major League Baseball, the Major League Baseball Players Association and the team's lenders also filed objections to the plan.

Other current and former players listed as creditors include Rangers third baseman Michael Young ($4 million), Kevin Millwood ($12.9 million), Vicente Padilla ($1.7 million), Mickey Tettleton ($1.4 million) and Mark McLemore ($970,051.97).

Back
Top Bottom