THE OFFICIAL™ GRAPHIC DESIGN THREAD

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by ardeedas

Anyways.....peep my homeboy that just graduated in animation and illustration at the Academy of Arts. Dude is so dope:

costume_sketch.jpg
robby_wong_maquette_concept.jpg

robby_wong_cylinder_expressions.jpg
robby_wong_fc_03.jpg

pimp.gif

Im majoring in architecture but I took a class on fundamental of design and it was
pimp.gif
, we where on computers the whole time but I learned a lot. Especially on how to work with photoshop.

and Drameezy youre trying to hard, its toyish

and those letters with the silver look familiar. Chicago?

i'm a freelance graphic designer, i have been playing with photoshop since 7th grade but really got into it too much untill last year, i'm currentlybuilding up my portfolio right now, people in my town are so damn cheap even when i tell them low prices they pass it up
smh.gif
so it's kinda hard, i'mabout to start learning indesign, flash, and dreamweaver.

here's some of my recent work.
r2qmok.jpg

vem2io.jpg
xaul9y.jpg

Love this thread .

I was actually thinking about majoring in Illustration at one point in time .

wow. this thread is amazing, a lot of great work and info in here. Now, I am an aspiring "designer" like I want to design any and everything. I'mcurrently an Architecture major, but I don't just want to design buildings. We recently were introduced to Adobe Creative Suite and it's really changedmy design approach. My profs didn't really teach us much since we use more 3d imaging software (rhino) and CAD, but I saw the benefit of Photoshop andIllustrator early, so I've just been practicing. Whenever I have something I want to get accomplished and don't know how, I look up tutorials and justkeep practicing.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of logo design work from people, mostly family members and church members and I have to say that it's prettyoverwhelming, but at the same time exciting because I get to design. I wouldn't call myself a graphic designer by any means, but I'm slowly gettinginto it and it's amazing. Hopefully this thread stays active and I can always refer here for help and advice. 206, I peep your blog frequently and yourwork is amazing. I'm similar in the sense that I can draw well, but the graphic part is still developing. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

here's my blog: http://iebun.blogspot.com

went to Art Center College of Design, majored in Graphic Design. School is real legit and known, was great for building the portfolio and building contacts. Ifyou come outta that school without a job then you did something wrong. Art school is great for building that foundation but its not for everyone and noteveryone can handle the intense workload (if its a legit school, and I can name schools).

I'll say if you are interested in getting into design,

Motion, Interactive, Print in that order make the money. Whether you know how to animate with after effects or some 3d program, or just do the style frames orstoryboards, motion is where the money is for design. Interactive is up next. Print can make some money but it takes years to build up.

will add more indepth input later.

This is a greatthread. Good info.

A "friend ofmine" is also an aspiring designer/artist. He's really into designing stickers right now. Here are some of his designs and his flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cisa1/
taph1k.jpg
2uii52r.jpg

2qmg67p.jpg

He has never had aneducation in the field of design or anything similar, so everything is self-taught. Next year he will get his degree in communication science and wants tostart over and pursue a degree in graphic design. Now here's the problem: Is it wise to start pursuing a whole new degree at age 24? Most of the kids willprobably be 16/17 years old. I keep telling him that it will be a real struggle and most of the kids will be way more talented despite their age, but he hopesto have enough of an advantage due to his previous degree. Any advise?

Glad to see this thread again. Posting so I can finish reading this stuff later.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Originally Posted by ardeedas

Anyways.....peep my homeboy that just graduated in animation and illustration at the Academy of Arts. Dude is so dope:

costume_sketch.jpg
robby_wong_maquette_concept.jpg

robby_wong_cylinder_expressions.jpg
robby_wong_fc_03.jpg

pimp.gif

Im majoring in architecture but I took a class on fundamental of design and it was
pimp.gif
, we where on computers the whole time but I learned a lot. Especially on how to work with photoshop.

and Drameezy youre trying to hard, its toyish
thats his style you cant really say he's trying too hard ...
thats his style, you cant really say he's trying hard.
The graffiti on the other hand is very toyish

I think that doing thumbnails on paper is a must. When I was at design college in 1993 we still hat to learn paste up/ photoshop only had 1 undo and nolayers/the largest removable media was a 44mb syquest drive.

I went to the library at least 4 times a week and looked at design books. I would study letraset font books like they were the bible. House industries is oneof the dopest font houses out there.

Im actually glad to have become aquatinted with oo206oo because of this forum. I can show him designs im working on and he will be honest which is what I need.

I don't know how I'm just now seeing this and I'm a Graphic Design major...i'll post some stuff when I get home.

never took any classes for it, but i took it up as a hobby for a few years. owned a few sites, make some good money, even got to work with2advanced on a small project.

peep 2advanced. their work is sick.

I appreciate the couple of compliments in this thread, good lookin out fellas.

Shoegeek is my dude, and i couldnt agree with him more regarding House Ind., im on their mailing list and love getting the flyers they send out just to let youknow theres a new typeface set available. They really think outside the box and make it fun and interesting.

I havent even peeped 2advanced in a long minute but i remember when i was in school our flash teacher showed us one day and next thing you know, almost everystudent's next project looked the same. Everyone was tryin to get that look (and failing miserable being that we were all just first year design studentsat the time, lol) As much as i liked that look back then though, im happy that web design today has gotten away from all the flash animations etc. Its muchcleaner and much more to my personal liking.

(lets keep this thread going)

A little off topic but I'de rather ask here since it's remotely related...

I'm starting up a blog/site and I chose wordpress as the format. I've found a theme that I'de like to get customized but I'm having troublefinding someone to do it. Where would be good places to look if I'm trying to find someone for this job?

House Industries is dope.....but my type teacher used to say stay away from those sassy fonts. Still,maybe that is the generations that separate the old graphic designers to the new ones.

Drameezy, interesting stuff dude. Really like the whole "I am sitting in the classroom drawing on a sketch book" feel. I used to use a lot ofhighlighters in my drawings as well. Funny cause if graff is a big thing for you, then you should transition into typography really easy. I would say type isthe least look upon in graphics but the most important. To this day, I can't spot any fonts off the top of my head, where as my other friends can tell youwhat font family Starbucks and even Target are using. It's pretty nutty.

Another mental note off the top of my head for those who do print projects, find a good local printer in your area. Please stay away from Kinkos as no one willever take you seriously if you send in a...for example...a final poster for a music concert that was printed there. It is important to find someone that hasthe same professional demeanor as you want in your projects. It may be far more pricey compared to the chain places but you have to pay to get greatquality.....and you can also just charge your client for the cost of it all.

AND NEVER USE FREE ONLINE FONTS! That is another no no. I'll have some more to say but I am kind of brain farted right now.

House does a lot of great classic typefaces as well though. I just think some of their brush script and fun/packaging style joints can sometimes overshadow thereally nice, timeless stuff.

AND NEVER USE FREE ONLINE FONTS! That is another no no. I'll have some more to say but I am kind of brain farted right now.
can you go more in-depth on this?

He means avoid dafont.com and similar sites. Those are generally fonts submitted by amateurs. Any yahoo with the software to design a font can upload it to thesite.

Meaning youre getting mostly crappy fonts by "designers" who dont know what theyre doing. And generally, you can tell by looking at em.

I see...I mean I've hear instructors hint at the same thing but not really go in depth about it. I was asking because in HS I lived on AbstractFonts.com

Well, also the online font thing generally only comes with one weight. Like usually you want the whole family......arial bold, narrow, italic, italic bold,italic bold narrow, etc. The rule of thumb is in any layout (whether online or print), you want no more then 3 font families, and that is even stretching it.Sometimes just one or two families are good but it really depends on what you are doing. Like with a mag layout, you can have three for 1)body type2)Sub-heading 3) Heading. The heading you can ususally get all creative and all but the subheading and body type, you want consistent throughout.

Example (not my work):
magazine%20layout.jpg

I definitely follow what you say now. The only time I've used free fonts was for desktop wallpapers, album covers, etc. I definitely wouldn't use themfor a publication

Well, also the online font thing generally only comes with one weight. Like usually you want the whole family......arial bold, narrow, italic, italic bold,italic bold narrow, etc. The rule of thumb is in any layout (whether online or print), you want no more then 3 font families, and that is even stretching it.Sometimes just one or two families are good but it really depends on what you are doing. Like with a mag layout, you can have three for 1)body type2)Sub-heading 3) Heading. The heading you can ususally get all creative and all but the subheading and body type, you want consistent throughout.

Example (not my work):
magazine%20layout.jpg

I take that back. There are some free type faces online that are good. This was one highly used in college:

http://www.misprintedtype.com/v4/

What's funny is that there were some straight to movie DVDs that used these free fonts for there covers. These distressed fonts are cool to use once in ablue moon but don't overuse it. If any, printout some fonts and distress them yourself by throwing paint at it, scratch at it....whatever. Scan it back inand you have something way more original.

Also, for the record, if i see Bleeding Cowboy used one more time, im gonna off myself.

Back
Top Bottom