THE OFFICIAL™ GRAPHIC DESIGN THREAD

Didn't Jordan brand use a standard font from Word a couple years ago? Can't remember what it was.

Great thread. I'm getting back into the arts after a two year hiatus and am pursuing a graphic design degree as a base to get to where I want to ultimatelybe. Does going to a big name art school really give you an edge? I'm currently thinking of going to San Jose State University since it's close by,cheaper, and their art program is suppose to be pretty good. Does it really make that much of a difference if one goes to say Rhode Island School of Design orOtis?

Posting my work later.

Tees my friend did

cimg0108.jpg

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

206, ever designed a tat for someone?

Too many to count, honestly. I dont really like doing it so i generally only do it for good friends of mine who i know will actually get it done. I feel like aperson should find a good tattoo artist and have them design the tattoo to fit the body part its going to be on. A drawing on a piece of paper doesnt alwaystranslate well to the body.

NT's muscle68 has a few that ive done for him though.

laugh.gif
Theyre fun

Graphic Designing is a tough industry. I got my start @ Anything doing mainly logo tees and then moved on from there.

Then I did this and started getting more work.
It's not may main income source though. I still just do it for friends brands/companies
165802380_e3ab5aa08c_o.jpg

I'm too high to post up my portfolio. I'll do it later

Originally Posted by Kitrov

Didn't Jordan brand use a standard font from Word a couple years ago? Can't remember what it was.

Actually a lot of the fonts on word all all legit. I think my type teacher was the one that said you can do almost everything with just three basic fonts (aserif, san-serif and a script). I mean that is some pretty abstract and bold thinking but it is good to not have a lot of type faces in your library.

Also if you have the means or just want to geek out on fonts, check out fontshop.com based in SanFrancisco. They also have some free fonts there as well. My friend worked there for a couple of years and pretty much stole there whole library, only to loseit when his computer crashed. And yes, back up all your data or have an external hard drive. I don't know how many times I have heard people lose projectscause "their power went out" or "their hard drive fried". Better safe then sorry.

And on the type tip again, another guy that I have been keeping an eye on since college and has been seen a lot lately is http://www.siscottstudio.com/. Perfect example of a guy that has a style and uses it to his full potential.I think he did one of the Lebron campaigns.

si.jpg

19Small.jpg

808371221056289.jpg
808371221056649.jpg

808371221056672.jpg

Originally Posted by Ninjasonik

laugh.gif
Theyre fun

Graphic Designing is a tough industry. I got my start @ Anything doing mainly logo tees and then moved on from there.

It's not may main income source though. I still just do it for friends brands/companies

You did that shirt? Wow...my boy where's that shirt all the time.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Great thread. I'm getting back into the arts after a two year hiatus and am pursuing a graphic design degree as a base to get to where I want to ultimately be. Does going to a big name art school really give you an edge? I'm currently thinking of going to San Jose State University since it's close by, cheaper, and their art program is suppose to be pretty good. Does it really make that much of a difference if one goes to say Rhode Island School of Design or Otis?

San Jose I think is better the SF State. Whatever you do, don't go to SF State. But ultimately it isn't always the school that will make you better. Itis a self discipline of some sorts and you can always just learn on your own. You'll get the basics in class which is a good thing, and hopefully you canmeet people in your class and feed off of their talents as well.

Well I am about to enter my senior year in High school and i was actually trying to look more into Graphic Designing (although i haven't drawn since myfreshman year, and that was just drawing things that i've seen) I was wondering if it actually hinder my chances of a career in it without extensiveability to draw? and if so, is there any way i could find places outside of my own school that help with this??

Originally Posted by Ninjasonik

laugh.gif
Theyre fun

i'm assuming you drew the image and then scanned in?

Originally Posted by NoSlickRemarks

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by ardeedas

Anyways.....peep my homeboy that just graduated in animation and illustration at the Academy of Arts. Dude is so dope:

costume_sketch.jpg
robby_wong_maquette_concept.jpg

robby_wong_cylinder_expressions.jpg
robby_wong_fc_03.jpg

pimp.gif

Im majoring in architecture but I took a class on fundamental of design and it was
pimp.gif
, we where on computers the whole time but I learned a lot. Especially on how to work with photoshop.

and Drameezy youre trying to hard, its toyish
thats his style you cant really say he's trying too hard ...
thats his style, you cant really say he's trying hard.
The graffiti on the other hand is very toyish
Haha thats funny dude...
I just do me!
I aint tripping though, that graffs all old though
like i said im trying to progress from that childishness.

But i still battle anyone...
smokin.gif

What type of industry related/inspired magazines are you guys reading? What do you think about Juxtapoz and Wallpaper?

Computer Arts, Computer Arts Projects, Practical Web Design ... most of the stuff that Futurenet put out.
Peep issue 122 of CAP if you ever get a chance ......

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/

I know many designers from my school (here in the Philippines) who used to answer back to my professors when their DESIGN work is being criticized.

Things like "no, you can't question what I did because I'm an artist and that is my art". (Although they were actually asked to DESIGN in thefirst place).

Design and art are not one and the same.

Simply put, I think we should never forget that (a good designer friend of mine said this) art poses a question and design answers aquestion.

On being a designer:

I think what would help most aspiring designers is that engaging in this industry is an enormous thing.

Like what Mr. Fongstarr said, you're not only a designer but you're businessman and manager as well.

I agree with him, but that does not stop there.

To be a way better designer, your level of knowledge and understanding has to be very broad. Since design answers a question (or in other words, fulfilling anobjective), you also have to be an analyst and a researcher in terms of having to conveying the correct and effective message across - which is what graphicdesign basically is.

So to say more of it, you have to really read anything and everything you can (regardless of how useless it may be because I've had some good ideas thatcame from weird inspirations), you have to study previous and upcoming trends in any industry that may interest you, study philosophy, classic literary works,current events etc.

Also, it certainly is a big help if you understand the varying art movements and styles of the previous eras.

To say it simply. Stimulate your mind.

But that does not stop there either.

In design, the saying "experience is the best teacher" also applies. You don't have to be a desk-and-chair kind of person. Go out, have fun andrelax. Experiencing the world within your means also helps. Your experience the other day may prove to be an inspiration in your next design project.

To me, knowing, learning and experiencing your world makes you more articulate in conveying your message through design.

Example, I am from Country A and I have a client from Country B who needs some design work done that is going to be put out publicly for a specific targetaudience in their country. I do not JUST design straight up based on the creative brief.

What I do is find out more about Country B. What is culturally acceptable, politically correct or whatnot? What was, what are the current events that tookplace there? What are popular catchphrases there? Or if I've been to Country B before, what was my experience like and what can I derive from it?

Literally anything - even the most seemingly utterly useless and idiotic thing - CAN HELP.

ON CLIENTS:

As a designer, you will also become a psychologist, in a way. You will deal with all kinds of people. You will deal with clients you will end up either lovingor loathing to work with. You will have to understand them and the more you work with them, the more you understand how they think and you work around it.

One more thing, of course, every designer has experienced a client choosing that certain design they hated the most. But in some of my experience, CLIENTS ALSOHAVE GOOD IDEAS.

The most important thing to remember is to COMMUNICATE with them.

Not necessarily solely about the design requirement but the more you talk with your clients generally about anything, the more you will understand what theylike and the direction will be clearer from there.

ON CREATIVITY:

In being creative, I don't think you're supposed to let anyone say that your idea is NOT a good idea.

In the first place, who's to say it isn't?
How would they even know?
Have they tried it the way you are planning to try it?

Of course not.

Any sort of idea you have may be the next big thing. BUT don't think of it as the next big thing.

Instead, pursue your idea because you GENUINELY LOVE and are PASSIONATE about your idea.

Then, that is how it might become great.

Even if your idea does not turn out great or make the cut, just revel in the fact that you did try rather then regret not trying.

I recommend learning about the print industry first... it will make you a better "designer"

Not necessarily only related to print, but to add to this, it would be a good idea to learn grid systems and grid theory.
To help you organize visual information.

im close with the designer of these bad boys... but he tells me its a lot of hard work. but hes been in the graphic design business for about 10 years, andhes worked his way up to where hes at now, these are some of the DOPER things that he has done. Before he went to school for graphic design, he was intograffiti, painting, drawing. theres a lot of artistry involved in graphic design, i dont see how anyone would be any less proud of doing this stuff than if hewas drawing the stuff physically instead of using the computer.

l_19064eeeb10143a7981813d6b832a4c4.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

l_23af40725d8b4f7f8bbab2a91dc7bda8.jpg

l_baeee86fcf5446bc9ada3455ff61aa35.jpg

l_fa369aa897ae494a91951e6b8ff5a54f.jpg

l_42056a70ec6fe48b9487f22e430191e0.jpg

l_af8a8d9c79806a8a881b396841a44948.jpg

l_33455dc928eac6b57c1101d0e851db30.jpg

I start school in September. I decided to go to Platt College (http://www.platt.edu/)

The course for the Associates is 15 months straight with very few breaks, but it's good for my situation.

I was able to test out of the beginning design class with my portfolio which save me over $2,500 and cut the course to 13 1/2 months, which was nice. I wasalso able to get $10,000 in pell grants.

Here's something I did last night. There's a lot of things I know I could of done different on it, but I cut it short since I was really tired.
laugh.gif

2ij4zn8.jpg

Dope stuff in here. I go to IADT (International Academy of Design and Technology) Majoring in Visual Communications. Been into designing for years.

Dub 253...i cant stand the old english font for part of the web address. it would have been better to stick with futura or whatever it is u used.

just my 2cents

Back
Top Bottom