THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Finally got my big burbles in

I personally won’t wear these as I still have my annis to beat up. However I highly appreciate the execution. They actually look like a performance shoe of that time; the streamlined/exaggerated silhouette with a tapered toe and a bbl back. The air pocket is huge :wow:

Will I wear them no, but it is absolutely a great historical shoe to have in the collection. I’m glad these came out.
BAB19BF3-6CD9-4741-8BB1-7D6AC4C9264D.jpeg

83718043-0F90-4FDB-AD4F-AD35B9E8403C.jpeg

I personally won’t wear these as I still have my annis to beat up. However I highly appreciate the execution. They actually look like a performance shoe of that time; the streamlined/exaggerated silhouette with a tapered toe and a bbl back. The air pocket is huge :wow:

Will I wear them no, but it is absolutely a great historical shoe to have in the collection. I’m glad these came out.

Beautiful. So you plan to keep them stashed until they crumble, them toss them, or resell when you get bored of looking at them? Genuinely curious.

Beautiful. So you plan to keep them stashed until they crumble, them toss them, or resell when you get bored of looking at them? Genuinely curious.
Possibly display them. But I highly won’t ever get to wearing them since the annis are still quite clean and unscathed. i actually have another pair of annis on ice :lol:, I got quite a lot of doubles I plan to display one day and these will def be up there. To have both the 86 and 87 displayed would be nice:pimp:

Quite obvious by what I’ve seen over the past month that I’m vastly in the minority here., but the 2017s just look so much better to me . And I’m not just trash talking the big bubbles . I bought a pair . And I like them good enough . I mean what now though ? Do the ones with the 2017 style sole that have been used for the past 30 years go away now or what ? Lol gonna be interesting. I missed out on the 2017s but if those come out again in the next few years I’m definitely gonna be grabbing some

You're confusing materials with technology and with structural aspects of a shoe.

Outside aspects of a shoe (leathers, felts, suedes, etc.) were better (for the most part) back then, but this is a whole other issue that's going over your head.
Nothings going over my head lol . The structural aspect of shoes were better back then as well . The shape of the shoe was better. The build quality was better . The TECHNOLOGY was better . You take a pair of air air maxes back then that had the different parts of the air tech tuned to different psi. Now you buy that same shoe as a retro model . You get none of that . It’s just a cheap ****ty money grab release, and everybody knows that; except for you apparently lol . Why do you think people get so excited when Nike finally goes ahead and puts a good quality retro shoe out as an anniversary like for the Huarache for instance last year. With good quality materials . Good structural build . Better, closer to OG shape. All the small details that usually get passed over on typical retros. Come on man it’s not rocket science. Unless you’re talking about non retro Nike models like modern day running shoes or modern day air maxes or soemthing . The “ TECHNOLOGY” on todays retros is not even close to being better lol

I think it'll be like the AMIII where only a handful of colorways are released and then it disappears. Though, for the AMIIIs, everything about them is so much better, and visually they're the same AM90 in general, or better. However, for the AM1 BB, the look is so much different, it's almost like a diff model, and we can see how polarizing it is for people. I truly don't understand why they don't just do the AMIIIs on all releases in perpetuity, but I could see for these BBs that they end up just disappearing like the AM Zeros did, especially since, unlike the Zeros, these have a mainstream following with the '87 mold.

Nothings going over my head lol . The structural aspect of shoes were better back then as well . The shape of the shoe was better. The build quality was better . The TECHNOLOGY was better . You take a pair of air air maxes back then that had the different parts of the air tech tuned to different psi. Now you buy that same shoe as a retro model . You get none of that . It’s just a cheap ****ty money grab release, and everybody knows that; except for you apparently lol . Why do you think people get so excited when Nike finally goes ahead and puts a good quality retro shoe out as an anniversary like for the Huarache for instance last year. With good quality materials . Good structural build . Better, closer to OG shape. All the small details that usually get passed over on typical retros. Come on man it’s not rocket science. Unless you’re talking about non retro Nike models like modern day running shoes or modern day air maxes or soemthing . The “ TECHNOLOGY” on todays retros is not even close to being better lol
Just keeping it real. An air Max 1 in 1987 is a performance sneaker. An air Max 1 in 2023 is a lifestyle sneaker.

To expect a build to have the same tech specs almost 40 years later is kind of a reach.

And if the tech was better, you'd see some runner winning the Boston marathon in a pair of patta wave air Max 1s. It ain't happening.

Respectfully

How is it that everyone constantly talks about how much better the materials on shoes were back then, which they were clearly. Including ALL shoes with air max bubbles being drastically bigger than what they are are now, but suddenly a few of you are saying they had to change them because of material problems back then but now we have “ better “ materials. ?
The materials are not just suedes and leathers. Materials meaning everything the sneaker is composed of. The big bubbles were cracking in colder climates. The shoe sold well so rather than scrap they refined it in real time. No disrespect but as of 2023 all of this stuff is easily Googleable.

Also, back to materials, I saw a bunch of videos on these saying "they used a really cheap imitation suede"......it's called felt and it's what was on these from the get. Same on AM90s. Shattered Back Board Jordan 1s really out the game in a blender materials wise. Somehow that became the gold standard of what a shoe has to be.

Edit: should've scrolled further. I see this was THOROUGHLY discussed 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Quite obvious by what I’ve seen over the past month that I’m vastly in the minority here., but the 2017s just look so much better to me . And I’m not just trash talking the big bubbles . I bought a pair . And I like them good enough . I mean what now though ? Do the ones with the 2017 style sole that have been used for the past 30 years go away now or what ? Lol gonna be interesting. I missed out on the 2017s but if those come out again in the next few years I’m definitely gonna be grabbing some
It’s like the 85 Jordan 1s, it’s a shoe for the enthusiast who’d buy the same model again for the original spec (even though it’s quite not there yet). Big bubbles were just an anomaly retro, I highly doubt they’d replace AM1 with this tooling, but we’ll see a few colorways every now and then.

Nike is really good pivoting these models for certain demographics, they know us enthusiast will come back and buy the same shoe. Then flood the market with an abundance of colors for the masses.

If anyone has an extra 11.5 or 12 they are willing to part with…lmk please! Will take them asap.

Last post about this, for the ones that asked. Adjustable shoe tree, steamer. Apply steam to toe area for a few mins, grab shoe tree extend it to the max size and shove in. Keep adding steam, and just let the shoe dry while keeping the shoe tree in.

20230330_213754.jpg
Dope for sharing knowledge for people who don’t understand this yet but, how is this not common knowledge by now? Humans are lazy
I scoured ebay and asked all the sellers with a pair the same question. :emoji_sweat_smile:

This response was very helpful.

B9A1323A-F81C-48DB-AB22-453022BC9033.jpeg

7AFB48A8-2F56-4A7A-BD71-BE9B5686A546.jpeg
Congrats on getting your donor!
What’s the plan?

Back
Top Bottom