THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

laugh.gif

GU VS WVU GAME PREVIEW (ESPN.COM)

The Big East regular-season title is out of reach for West Virginia and Georgetown, but both teams could use some momentum as the conference tournament approaches.

The Mountaineers have started to create some, while the Hoyas are sputtering.

Tenth-ranked West Virginia looks for its fourth win in five games as it tries to clinch a two-round bye in a matchup with No. 19 Georgetown on Monday night.

Syracuse has secured the Big East title and the top seed in the tournament, which begins March 9 at Madison Square Garden. The top four teams get byes to the quarterfinals, while the next four skip the opening round.

A win Monday would secure a top-four seed for the Mountaineers (22-6, 11-5), while the Hoyas (19-8, 9-7) can clinch a bye to the second round.

West Virginia concludes the regular season at No. 7 Villanova on Saturday, while Georgetown hosts Cincinnati -- one of five teams behind it that are also seeking first-round byes.

The Mountaineers have been surging down the stretch, winning three of four after losing consecutive games for the only time this season.

Kevin Jones helped West Virginia continue its strong stretch Saturday, scoring 10 of his 15 points in the second half as the Mountaineers overcame a 13-point deficit to beat the Bearcats 74-68.

"I didn't stand around in the second half waiting for something to happen," said Jones, who averages 13.7 points and 7.5 rebounds. "I tried to be more aggressive and my teammates were looking for me in good spots and I give all the credit to them."

The Mountaineers, though, could use some improved play from Da'Sean Butler, the team leader with 16.9 points per game.

The senior forward has struggled over the last two games, going 5 of 22 from the floor and totaling 17 points after averaging 21.9 points in his previous seven contests.

Butler had 27 points on 11-of-18 shooting and added eight rebounds in a 75-58 win at then-No. 12 Georgetown on Jan. 22, 2009, the teams' last meeting.

The Hoyas, however, won 58-57 in the last matchup in Morgantown on Jan. 26, 2008.

Victories Monday and in its season finale could give Georgetown a chance at one of the top four spots in the Big East tournament.

The Hoyas, though, haven't resembled one of the top teams in the conference lately, dropping three of four and seven of 15 since opening 11-1. They plummeted eight spots in this week's Top 25.

"You can't play from behind all the time," coach John Thompson III said. "We've come from behind in several games. That's not necessarily a script we want to follow, so we have to do a better job early."

Austin Freeman being ill has not helped, and the Hoyas will not have their leading scorer available Monday night.

Battling the flu, the junior guard scored a season-low five points in 23 minutes off the bench Saturday as Georgetown fell 78-64 to Notre Dame, which played without star forward Luke Harangody. Freeman is averaging 17.0 points and shooting 47.3 percent from 3-point range.

He made the trip with his teammates Sunday, but "took a turn for the worse" overnight, team spokesman Michael Carey said. Freeman returned to campus on Monday for further treatment and rest.

Freeman averaged 21.6 points in eight games prior to Saturday, scoring 29 to power a 70-60 victory at Louisville on Tuesday.

He shot 1 of 6 and had nine points against West Virginia last season.

my last memory of Morgantown..

ewing_west_virginia.jpeg

I say it's time to pull one out again.

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JT3 needs to work on some basics:

Offensive rebounding and transition defense.

Passing.

It's sad to see 4 guys go in for an offensive rebound.

Transfers usually scare me.

But if Henry packs his bags this summer, I might throw a party.

Glad it only took 27 games and Freeman to come down with a virus for JT3 to actually give Vee some run...

He's just a mess. Always in the wrong spot.

- With the youth out there tonight, I'll live with defensive miscues and the offense being out of sorts. I CANT accept not getting back on defense and lazy passes.

On that note of lazy passes. This has occurred for as long as III has been here. Why do guys not come to the ball? Why are the passes telegraphed? Something so simple should have been corrected a long time ago.

IMO, this team has taken on the identity of its' PG....some stretches, he's an All American talent, other times he'd make Jeremiah Rivers look competent on offense.

I do like vee sanford. no reason for him to have been buried on the bench as far as I can see.

This team will go nowhere if Jason Clark and Julian Vaughn don't revert to the players we saw earlier in the year. Maybe all the minutes for them this year, they weren't ready for..IDK...but they gota step it up.

When you lose your best, and more importantly, most consistent player...it's gona be a struggle. You just can't come out as flat as they did in the first half.

I sure as hell hope Austin is 100% by saturday.

just some additional info from ESPN insider on our recruit jordan goodman (congrats downy, your wish came true, we have a Jordan on the hoyas). it's interesting that ESPN is saying hes 2012, not 2011? also interesting that he drew comparison to dajuan summers, hopefully even better, and hopefully stays at the 3.

Hoyas land 2012 small forward

Georgetown has landed a verbal commitment from small forward Jordan Goodman, Progressive Christian head coach Taj Hawkins confirmed on Tuesday to ESPN.com.

"Yes, that is true, Jordan has committed to Georgetown," Hawkins, who also coached Goodman last summer for the D.C. Assault travel club, said.

Hawkins also cleared up the confusion around Goodman's graduating class.

"He's a sophomore in the class of 2012."

ESPN.com Recruiting Coordinator Reggie Rankin describes Goodman as a "long, thin wing player who is very talented and very skilled.

"Jordan shoots it well to 3 and can also get to the basket. What we really makes him special, though, is his size on the perimeter. With his length he can easily shoot it over defenders.

Rankin likes his fit for head coach John Thompson, III.

"He's a great fit for the Princeton-style offense they run because of his ability to shoot and handle the ball, Skilled forwards really make that offense go.

"Jordan's got to get more consistent to really become a special player but the tools are there," Rankin added. "He'll remind Hoya fans of DaJuan Summers (Detroit Pistons)."

Goodman is the first commitment for Georgetown's 2012 class.

"He'll remind Hoya fans of DaJuan Summers (Detroit Pistons)."
just hopefully with the addition of heart

"He's a sophomore in the class of 2012."
hmm....well, we'll see. hopefully this isn't Chris Braswell 2.0....or it's just not a favor right now for Dave Cox to keep his job, which it seems some (balla) thinks it is. but he can have his agendas

still conflicting reports on the class issue but i guess i'll take that as truth

* Moses is visiting campus today. Go get em III
pimp.gif

Mo is more skilled, definitely.

but at this point, save the skill and give me a rebounding/shot blocking force, which some believe Moses can be.

seems from videos he also has room to grow, still?

And about Mo, kid is very reserved. I'll gladly take if he comes, but I'd prefer to have some kids with a bit of an attitude other than as Big John put it "choir boys"

From the stories about Jordan being in a car accident, losing his best friend then the later on losing his mom to illness...seems like the kid has something to prove.

if abraham is supposed to be a project, which is more than likely, he's not going to be getting much PT at all with lubick coming in and vaughn and benimon already getting a considerable amount of playing time. even less chance of him playing at all if monroe, god willing, decides to stay. don't think i can take another project, considering sims is still a "project" and hasn't shown much for it. but we'll see what happens with that open schollie.

hmm....well, we'll see. hopefully this isn't Chris Braswell 2.0....orit's just not a favor right now for Dave Cox to keep his job, which itseems some (balla) thinks it is. but he can have his agendas
who is balla? never heard of him.

Well, all these kids probably are more of projects than impact guys. Walker is from a physical stand point, he's still carrying too much weight.

Cox probably should feel some heat. Whether he is or not, who knows.

Originally Posted by LMBAssclown

hmm....well, we'll see. hopefully this isn't Chris Braswell 2.0....orit's just not a favor right now for Dave Cox to keep his job, which itseems some (balla) thinks it is. but he can have his agendas
who is balla? never heard of him.

laugh.gif

balla's "info" shouldn't be taken as anything more than opinion. he's got some insider info, but he tends to make it seem like he has more than he actually has

Back
Top Bottom