THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I know it was. I think it was said a few pages ago that Nike went back and made the shoe a high. I could be wrong though.

Can't wait to see Mamba in these, specially in Gold and Purple Kush CWs

Nike will have fun with this shoe

I will most likely pass on the lows tho, I'll be focused on highs only

The 8s will hold down the fort as far as lows are concerned

I guess I'll jump into the high vs low ankle support argument with questions of my own.

If stability plays a greater role compared to whatever is wrapped around your ankle, why do players bother taping up? Shouldn't the focus be more on having low-to-the-ground sneakers as stability is paramount?

Considering this shoe is built specifically for Kobe before anybody else, I assume the following:

Reasons why Nike/Kobe deciding to go with a high cut >>> Phd study done in 2000

Reasons why Nike/Kobe deciding to go with a high cut >>> NTer's knowledge of ankle support

One thing about the ankle convo:

I personally believe it all had to do with the mental state when hooping. For example, when I first switched to lows with the Kobe VI, I was a little weary of the fact they were not covering my ankles and mentally I felt like I had to constantly think about that when on the court. Everyone knows if you play cautious and overthink you will end up either not playing as well or injuring yourself. I had the worst ankle sprain I've ever sustained in those but that was mostly because I was playing almost "scared."

What I'm trying to say is, play in whatever gives you the mental peace of mind so that you dont have anything nagging at you in the back of your mind. Studies and testimonials may help your case but at the end of the day, if you have to think about what's on your feet when playing then something bad is bound to happen

One thing about the ankle convo:

I personally believe it all had to do with the mental state when hooping. For example, when I first switched to lows with the Kobe VI, I was a little weary of the fact they were not covering my ankles and mentally I felt like I had to constantly think about that when on the court. Everyone knows if you play cautious and overthink you will end up either not playing as well or injuring yourself. I had the worst ankle sprain I've ever sustained in those but that was mostly because I was playing almost "scared."

What I'm trying to say is, play in whatever gives you the mental peace of mind so that you dont have anything nagging at you in the back of your mind. Studies and testimonials may help your case but at the end of the day, if you have to think about what's on your feet when playing then something bad is bound to happen
That's my reason for preferring a high to a low for balling purposes. Not because one is better than the other but I personally think less about turning my ankle in the high or mid. It's a mental thing.

I know it was. I think it was said a few pages ago that Nike went back and made the shoe a high. I could be wrong though.
They didn't "go back" and make it a high. It was intended to be a higher cut shoe way before the Achilles injury ever happened. We already knew the 9 would be at least a mid-cut shoe about a year ago on here.

I'd agree that the mental aspect has a lot to do with it.  And regardless of the collar height, your risk of rolling is the sames (it is more how high the shoe is off the ground that counts anyway I believe).

I started playing ball seriously again about a year ago and laced up a pair of Kobe 8s.  I had heard the misconceptions with the low/high discussion and had been a high top guy my whole life up until then.  Needless to say I was hooked on lows after that first run in the 8s...

I've picked up a couple different mids/highs since then and enjoying playing in both, but most my performance purchases have been lows...

This 9 design has got me intrigued... good catch on the collar saying both "HTM" and "ninth"

Lol, I just realized it to I thought it just said HTM on it. WOW

As did I. I'm extremely relieved right now. Won't have to jump through hoops for these.

Hope they hit nike id. Fade option would be great on these.

They didn't "go back" and make it a high. It was intended to be a higher cut shoe way before the Achilles injury ever happened. We already knew the 9 would be at least a mid-cut shoe about a year ago on here.
Oh ok. As stated before it was something I read a few pages back. Thanks for clearing that up.

Kobe 9 Elite Flyknit = $225
Kobe 9 Elite Flyknit Low = $200
Kobe 9 Engineered Mesh Low = $160
Kobe Venomenon 4 = $120

Those will be the Kobe shoes released in the US on the performance side in 2014...

JM[/quote

How do you know this? Which version are we looking at that says its $180? What price will that one be?

Kobe Venomenon 4 = $120

Those will be the Kobe shoes released in the US on the performance side in 2014...

JM

so is he going to go through the season in the engineered mesh low and play the post season (if the lakers make it) in the elite flynit or low elite flynit?? And with this information seems as if the Nike + option is out the window, with non of the signature models having a + option at this time. They gave up on that tech REAL fast...

Last edited:
Kobe Venomenon 4 = $120

JM

jmadidas2001 jmadidas2001 how do you know this for certain and which pair are we looking at that say $180? What will be the actual price on those?

I think the primary shoe he will wear will be the low em version and those high tops won't have many version but when they do they will be very hard to get. I will probably grab one high top and stick to the lows other then that.

I won't doubt what JM says cause he seems to be highly respected but I won't believe anything til Nike confirms because all things are subject to change especially if they get a lot backlash for a price.

I really like the kobe 9.....not for $225 though.

i was excited to hear that they were going back to a mid/high cut...but i thought there would only be 1 shoe...and it wouldn't be this expensive.

And this will sound like a stupid question...but what is going the be the difference between the EM Low and the Flyknit Low? The materials are pretty similar...and provide almost the same feel flyknit is a little softer more pliable...but thats about it to me

Last edited:
Just thought I'd chime in on the low vs high top thing while we're kind of on it...

The Kobes and these other newer tech low top basketball shoes more or less work because they're intended to offer your foot enough support in key areas so that you'd get the same overall stability as a high top shoe on the court, but not be quite as restricted around your ankles. Whether it's doing something like taping your ankles or having tech on a shoe like outriggers on the lateral side of the shoe or a heel cup, etc, they all have the same overall intended purpose of helping to stabilize your foot as you're making quick cuts or explosive movements on the court. Having that stability is what helps avoid sprains, no matter if you're getting it from the shoe or from tape or wherever else.

Honestly speaking, low top bball shoes these days are well designed enough IMO that I feel more comfortable and stable about making the same type of movements in a low top that I would in a high top, which is what it comes down to at the end of the day. Older low tops definitely didn't offer the same type of stability as the newer designs do, which have better lockdown and "hug" your foot better in the important areas. Likewise, some older high tops probably don't offer the same type of lockdown as some of the newer shoes. Beyond that, I think it's just personal preference or a mental thing like other guys have said when it comes down to low vs high, if you want that extra material around your ankles or don't like it, etc. I'd also say it's a preference thing when it comes to having a max air type of shoe where you get more cushioning but feel higher off the ground vs zoom air where you get better court feel but less impact protection.

NBA players these days have honestly been seen playing in every single type of shoe there is in terms of cut, and I would kind of doubt so many of them would just all of a sudden be playing in lows if it was going to put them all at significantly greater risk of ankle problems. Kobe and KD have both obviously been able to wear lows without a Curry-like history of ankle problems, and so have a lot of other players in the league. I'd be curious to see what an updated research paper would say about ankle sprains in low tops vs high tops by looking at some of the newer shoes we've had since '09 or so. I'm not necessarily saying one is definitively better than the other when it comes to high vs low, but the newer low tops these days definitely offer better stability.

Back
Top Bottom