The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Any idea when the next MacBook Pro is dropping? In need of a new one but have read mixed reviews for the 2016 model.
Supposedly an update some time mid 2017. 

But I have the non-touch 13" and I love it. Haven't had any issues since I purchased it.

Now people with the touch-bar, have had some unfortunate experiences.

Currently using a 2009 pro thinking of just upgrading a little bit. I have around 750 to spend. Whats a good year to buy for around that price? 

Can anyone recommend a good laptop bag?

One that goes over your shoulder. I currently have a 13in but will probably go with 15in sometime in the future so I'd like to get something that'll fit a 15. Also something with extra pockets for chargers/tablets/etc. I'm eyeing this one:

Amazon product ASIN B00V64H0FM
But wondering if anyone has something different that they might recommend. Or if I should stay away from this one altogether. The consensus of the reviews is positive but the negatives look pretty bad. I'm not opposed to a backpack-type bag either. Appreciate it.
Does it have to be a messenger bag? What about backpacks..I've been using a north face surge for years..the best

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good laptop bag?

One that goes over your shoulder. I currently have a 13in but will probably go with 15in sometime in the future so I'd like to get something that'll fit a 15. Also something with extra pockets for chargers/tablets/etc. I'm eyeing this one:

Amazon product ASIN B00V64H0FM
But wondering if anyone has something different that they might recommend. Or if I should stay away from this one altogether. The consensus of the reviews is positive but the negatives look pretty bad. I'm not opposed to a backpack-type bag either. Appreciate it.
Does it have to be a messenger bag? What about backpacks..I've been using a north face surge for years..the best
I was actually looking in to North Face backpacks but ended up stumbling across a Swiss Gear backpack at Ross and it's been great. The laptop compartment is TSA friendly which was clutch when flying a couple weeks ago. Plenty of pockets for my chargers, mice, books, etc. And almost a perfect compartment for the Nintendo Switch.

I believe it's this one if anyone is interested.

Any idea when the next MacBook Pro is dropping? In need of a new one but have read mixed reviews for the 2016 model.
wait until WWDC on June 5th. Highly doubt that they'll announce new MacBooks but you never know with Apple.

What's up, NT?

I have a 13" MBP from early 2011 that I want to try and inject new life into so I can try and get a few more years out of it. I'm looking to run the Adobe Creative Suite on this thing. So what would be my options for updating this thing so I could run Adobe programs? I've been trying to do some research online, and I want to know if adding RAM and an SSD are my only options. Thanks.

What's up, NT?

I have a 13" MBP from early 2011 that I want to try and inject new life into so I can try and get a few more years out of it. I'm looking to run the Adobe Creative Suite on this thing. So what would be my options for updating this thing so I could run Adobe programs? I've been trying to do some research online, and I want to know if adding RAM and an SSD are my only options. Thanks.

RAM and SSD for sure. I dont think theres much more you can really do. I have the late 2011 13" mbp. Upgraded to a 8gb RAM and its been holding me over till it dies

Adding RAM and a SSD will bring new life to that machine. Another option is taking out the optical drive and putting in another SSD if you need the storage. I have the same model, adding the RAM and SSD was easy and helped a bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
RAM and SSD for sure. I dont think theres much more you can really do. I have the late 2011 13" mbp. Upgraded to a 8gb RAM and its been holding me over till it dies

I forgot to add in my original post. I've been reading conflicting reports on how much RAM I can add. Some say they've added 16GB, but I've seen people say elsewhere that these models can't handle that, and to do 8GB.

Adding RAM and a SSD will bring new life to that machine. Another option is taking out the optical drive and putting in another SSD if you need the storage. I have the same model, adding the RAM and SSD was easy and helped a bunch.

Don't know if I need the storage. But, I don't have any use for the optical drive. So I was already thinking about getting rid of it too.

Last edited:
I forgot to add in my original post. I've been reading conflicting reports on how much RAM I can add. Some say they've added 16GB, but I've seen people say elsewhere that these models can't handle that, and to do 8GB.
Don't know if I need the storage. But, I don't have any use for the optical drive. So I was already thinking about getting rid of it too.

Go 16GB it'll handle it no problems.

I went with 8gb because I've read that our model cant handle 16gb 

If it's an early 2011 13" MBP it'll definitely handle 16GB. That's what I'm using now, zero issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I saw they announced a new iMac and updated MacBook Pros with Intel's latest processor. Didn't really read too much into it as far as other specs.

Bout to cop a new MBP since my 2011 Air finally crapped out on me.

Touchbar or no touchbar?

Don't really do much other than your average user i.e. browse and email.

Don't see myself really using it a lot, but is potential there where I might start to use it?

Bout to cop a new MBP since my 2011 Air finally crapped out on me.

Touchbar or no touchbar?

Don't really do much other than your average user i.e. browse and email.

Don't see myself really using it a lot, but is potential there where I might start to use it?
No touchbar then

What's up guys, new to this thread and new to Apple hardware. Traded in my cheap HP laptop that I've had for the past 4 years over the weekend. Copped a 2016 space grey 13" MBP, no touchbar cause it seemed unnecessary. Loving it so far, it's way better than the entry-level cheap laptop I had. Quick question though, what's the best multiport adapter out there that's not made by apple?

Back
Top Bottom