The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

wwdc what happened today?

New iPad Pro 10-in, Cheaper entry level MBP with lesser specs. iMac and MBP lineup updated across the board. New iMac Pro for the heavy users. New OS across the board for all hardware. New Home speaker. Thats the jist of it I think. Mainly developer updates, but quite a bit of hardware came out today.

What's up guys, new to this thread and new to Apple hardware. Traded in my cheap HP laptop that I've had for the past 4 years over the weekend. Copped a 2016 space grey 13" MBP, no touchbar cause it seemed unnecessary. Loving it so far, it's way better than the entry-level cheap laptop I had. Quick question though, what's the best multiport adapter out there that's not made by apple?
There are a couple out there that have received good reviews? It comes down what you need on the adapter.

I purchased one from monoprice.com which has 3 USB ports and a ethernet port. Works perfectly. There's also:

Hyperdrive

Arc Hub (Has gotten a lot of good reviews. I have my eye on this)

Check those out, hopefully one of these options work for you. 

Bout to cop a new MBP since my 2011 Air finally crapped out on me.

Touchbar or no touchbar?

Don't really do much other than your average user i.e. browse and email.

Don't see myself really using it a lot, but is potential there where I might start to use it?
I recommend the non-touchbar. 

I have the 13" non-touchbar and use it frequently to edit photos and I'm happy with it. 

So, I just read up on the Home Pod and was impressed with some of the initial reviews of the sound quality.

If this can function with Spotify, I'm going to get one.

So, I just read up on the Home Pod and was impressed with some of the initial reviews of the sound quality.

If this can function with Spotify, I'm going to get one.

Word. Im glad they took the speaker first approach. Hopefully this leads to a few more speakers, like the sonos setup. I like sonos, but airplay is much more flexible. Plus seems like Airplay 2 will be even better. They didn't go into too much detail though on it.

I use the 9 for work, and to me it is the perfect size. But then again, I have to carry it around then when I am done have it be big enough to connect the keyboard and type. Depends on the use.

Bout to cop a new MBP since my 2011 Air finally crapped out on me.

Touchbar or no touchbar?

Don't really do much other than your average user i.e. browse and email.

Don't see myself really using it a lot, but is potential there where I might start to use it?
I recommend the non-touchbar. 

I have the 13" non-touchbar and use it frequently to edit photos and I'm happy with it. 

you dont feel like your might be missing out without having the touchbar?

thats my main concern. 2-3 years down the road touchbar might come in handy or might even be obsolete. who knows. lol.

thats my main concern. 2-3 years down the road touchbar might come in handy or might even be obsolete. who knows. lol.

It feels good to have, plus it has Touch ID like the iPhone, login quickly after every time you put it to sleep. You know that gets annoying without it

If you read pdfs you can highlight and change colors quickly

Change volume more "fluidly"

Use your finger to scan through a video

Emojis

It's not super functional but it's nice to have

I'm sort of biased b/c I'm the type of dude who likes to have the latest / top notch tech :lol:

Last edited:

For me needs? No, not at all.

Yeah, it's a cool feature and all, but I personally don't see the benefit of having the touchbar. I'm sure when I buy my next Mac (years from now) I'll just deal with the fact the touchbar is standard and go from there.

get the 10.5 I recommend copping the stylus as well..

Also I think apple care is a waste of money..just tell her how much the MBP costs and teller her to take care of it..had 3 macs 2 iPads 5 iPhones..never copped AppleCare once..no issues

What's up guys, new to this thread and new to Apple hardware. Traded in my cheap HP laptop that I've had for the past 4 years over the weekend. Copped a 2016 space grey 13" MBP, no touchbar cause it seemed unnecessary. Loving it so far, it's way better than the entry-level cheap laptop I had. Quick question though, what's the best multiport adapter out there that's not made by apple?
There are a couple out there that have received good reviews? It comes down what you need on the adapter.

I purchased one from monoprice.com which has 3 USB ports and a ethernet port. Works perfectly. There's also:

Hyperdrive

my brother has a 2015 MBP and I just wanted something with like 2 USB ports and an SD card slot

my brother has a 2015 MBP and I just wanted something with like 2 USB ports and an SD card slot
There is a USB-C SD Card adapter is available. I use it and works just fine.

As far as USB, the adapters above cover that...Just is kind of pricey. 

Hyperdrive

Fozzy, any advanced thoughts on which is better in regards to the ArcHub & Hyperdrive?
Will purchase a new MBP soon & was wondering what you thought was the better purchase?

If you have any other recommendations not listed, please link them.

Thanks.

PO

Last edited:
Fozzy, any advanced thoughts on which is better in regards to the ArcHub & Hyperdrive?
Will purchase a new MBP soon & was wondering what you thought was the better purchase?

If you have any other recommendations not listed, please link them.

Thanks.

PO
For convenience, I'd go with the Hyperdrive. You can get one that matches the color of your MBP, which makes look cleaner. Plus, it's cheaper than the ArcHub.

ArcHub is a good option if you have desk space, only thing that I've noticed is that if you multiple cable connected, they'll go everywhere and doesn't look neat.

And also consider what you need a hub for. If you need to connect your iPhone to back up data, they have a lightning to USB-C cable, USB-C SD Card Reader..and USB-C cables that can connect to external HDs. If you just need to connect one two things, compare the prices of purchasing a cable to a hub.

Back
Top Bottom