The Official NFL Off-Season Thread - Tony Gonzalez traded to the Falcons

Much as that game was a bit of an embarrassment - and as much as this dude seems to have some issues... he is immensely talented. I've gotta say I'm sad to see him go because I really wanted him to get it together here in the Burgh and prove all the haters wrong. I was one of the last guys left defending him however... but the fact that he remained on a roster, despite all those issues people had with him even including the coaching staff (some of them), tells you that he's gotta have a lot of potential or they would've given up on him. I have a feeling he's going to "get it" very soon, and make the Steelers sorry they let him go.. but he had his chance here I guess, maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.
Yea im a big fan of this signing... Were not paying him much and hes definitely got some real potential... i wouldnt be surprised if he wascompeting for the starting spot by mid season... no more having to put Woodson at a Safety spot.

Thomas leaves Philly to be closer to home

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)-After bungling free agency last year, the Jacksonville Jaguars vowed to revamp their aging roster through the draft.

They made an exception for three-time Pro Bowl left tackle Tra Thomas.

Thomas signed a three-year contract with the Jaguars on Monday, filling the team's most glaring need and moving considerably closer to home.

The 34-year-old Thomas, who allowed just two sacks in 658 attempts last season, is expected to step into a starting role in place of free agent Khalif Barnes and provide leadership on a team that finished 5-11 last season and then parted ways with three captains.

"Hopefully I'm one of the key positions that's going to come in and help turn this team around," Thomas said.

The 6-foot-7, 317-pound linemen was a mainstay the last 11 years in Philadelphia. The 11th overall pick in 1998, Thomas started 165 games and has missed only eight games in his career.

The Eagles had hoped to re-sign him, but Thomas chose Jacksonville partly because it was closer to home in nearby DeLand.

"I have several years left in the tank," Thomas said. "I take good care of myself. I'm always in the weight room training. … I put in a goal to play 20 years, so I want to come in and play as long as I possibly can. I feel like if I continue to take care of myself it can definitely happen."

The Jaguars parted ways with running back Fred Taylor, defensive end Paul Spicer and linebacker Mike Peterson, al captains, and released receiver Jerry Porter and cornerback Drayton Florence. Jacksonville gave Porter and Florence more than $20 million guaranteed, but both players struggled on the field and caused problems in the locker room.

Owner Wayne Weaver and general manager Gene Smith vowed to not make the same mistakes this time around, especially during an economic downturn.

"Tra has been a part of a lot of winning in Philadelphia, he's been durable, he's a three-time Pro Bowl player and he is a solid, experienced veteran and a good presence in the locker room," Smith said. "We have talked about character being important, and this is in line with that philosophy.

"He's the right kind of guy, and we signed him to a contract that is a good, fair deal for us and for him. This is a good value, and we feel a logical move for both of us."

The move also should give Jacksonville more flexibility heading into next month's NFL draft. The Jaguars had been almost certain to select a left tackle with the No. 8 pick.

Smith didn't rule out drafting a tackle and having Thomas serve as a backup, but he said the plan was for Thomas to be the starter.

Thanks Tra/William for a good 11 years. I'm guessing Todd moving to LT and Max to LG.

[h2]ANOTHER ARREST FOR MATT JONES[/h2]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 7:43 p.m. EDT

Just as the "Days without an Arrest Meters" was hours away from getting back to double digits, Jaguars receiver Matt Jones has been arrested,again.

A reader has forwarded to us this link to the Washington County, Arkansas Sheriff's office, which shows that a man named Matt Jones, a 25-year-old whitemale with brown hair and blue who stands six feet and five inches from the ground and weighs 205 pounds and having an address in Jacksonville, Florida, wasarrested at 6:21 p.m. CDT for possession of a controlled substance.

Jones is listed on the Jags' official web site as 6-6 and 216 pounds. He's also 25.

We suppose there's a chance that it's not the same Matt Jones as the one from Arkansas who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars, especially since amug shot as of this posting has not yet been posted with the arrest information.

If it is Jones, he could be in big trouble with the NFL, and the law. Last year, he was arrested for felony cocaine possession, but agreed to enter adiversion program, which among other things requires him to stay out of trouble.

He also was suspended three games by the NFL.

So if the Matt Jones from Arkansas who plays for the Jags is the same Matt Jones of identical age and similar dimensions and Jacksonville address who wasarrested within the past half hours in Arkansas, he's got a big problem.

UPDATE: The mugshot is nowposted. Yep, it's him.

SECOND UPDATE: Jones also apparently is charged with violating the terms of his probation.

Mike Peterson got a 3-year deal with Atlanta. I assume to move outside. Does dude have anything left? I know he's been hurt a lot lately.

Yea, they tried to keep him from getting his bonuses.

smh.gif

Deal is 2 years apparently now...

Anything is better than Keith Brooking...
pimp.gif

Patriots agreed to terms with CB Leigh Bodden on a one-year contract.

After dealing Matt Cassel the Pats' top priority became upgrading the secondary and they've executed. Bodden returns to a mostly man-to-man schemeafter failing to adjust to Detroit's heavy zone. He flashed shutdown ability earlier in his career with Cleveland and is only 27. Bodden brings needed size(6'1/192) to New England and will compete to start. With Shawn Springs, Ellis Hobbs, and Bodden at corner, the Pats' pass defense looks much improved.

Rams released Orlando Pace.

'Big Game' should next... and the Jets should be rolling out the red carpet.
nerd.gif

but SMH @ 'uninviting' Pace & Holt from the offseason program.
smh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Murder 1 re-signed w/ the Ravens 3yr 22mil ($6.25M bonus and $15.5M in guarantees.)

From Rotoworld:

Yahoo Sports reports that LaDainian Tomlinson and the Chargers have reached agreement on a restructured contract that will keep Tomlinson in San Diego.

LT2 approved the deal Tuesday night with the backing of club president Dean Spanos. Part of Tomlinson's '09 salary ($6.725M) was converted to a "signing bonus" to save cap room, meaning LT put his ego aside and will make a less salary than Darren Sproles. He'll still get the full $6.725M, however. Tomlinson's 2010-2011 salaries were reduced, but he can earn the money back via incentives. LT is going to be in more of a timeshare with Sproles in 2009, but he'll keep goal-line duties and could be undervalued in fantasy drafts. Sproles will only vulture work between the 20s.

and

Cutler is even more pissed offnow.

Way to go Josh.
laugh.gif

You are NOT Bill Belichick.

[h2]DOLPHINS SIGN ERIC GREEN[/h2]
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 12, 2009, 5:40 p.m.

The Miami Dolphins announced today that they have signed Arizona Cardinals unrestricted free agent cornerback Eric Green, a former third-round draft pick.

According to NFL.com, Green has registered 169 career tackles, two interceptions, 31 pass deflections, seven forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries in four NFL seasons.

The 26-year-old has started 33 games.

Last year in five starts for the Cardinals as they made it to the Super Bowl before losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Green recorded 39 tackles, one interception and a fumble recovery.

A Florida native, Green played collegiately at Virginia Tech where he intercepted eight passes with 143 tackles.

Back
Top Bottom