The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Leaving Canada in a few hours, got some OK shots

I know yall more experienced then me, but i thought i woukd share this anyways. Watched these for the first time and learned some things. Watch the other videos on the channel as well

Im on mobile so i cant embed sorry.

I know yall more experienced then me, but i thought i woukd share this anyways. Watched these for the first time and learned some things. Watch the other videos on the channel as well

Im on mobile so i cant embed sorry.

wow she's incredibly annoying

Anybody use the Holdfast system? I want one, but so damn expensive :frown:

I have the Black Rapid dual sling version and prefer it over the Holdfast one. One, it's more comfortable, more padding compared to just straight up leather. They both work as good. I've had and used mine since 2014 and still holds up great. Never no issues. Is it worth it? IMO yes because I always have a wide to zoom lens and a fixed lens good to go. Makes it easier and never really switch lens unless I really have to.

ayeeeeee a fellow t3i shooter

looks like you mentioned you shoot with my primary lens. the cheap 50mm 1.8. yea its cramped. sometimes it doesn't focus and i miss a lot of shots. i always have to compose my shots to get anything good and candids are always hit or miss. to make sure i dont miss i always use live view and manual focus. always seemed best at f2.8

on that note sine i only always shoot at f2.8 on the 50mm, how is that tamron 17-50. im sure thats why you got it to resolve your issue with the 50mm being cramped and at least you have a wider scope at 17. i was looking at the tamron after you posted you were a t3i shooter. looks liek its a few hundred bucks lol. is it worth it? is that the one with VC? thtas their image stablization ya?

the thing with the 50 1.8, before i got it it was always praised as good for low light etc. but at 1.8 i never felt it to be that sharp and i never like shooting above 800 iso on our t3i, and without IS on the 50mm it was hard to get good shots ironically in low light hand held. is the tamron sharp wide open? im interested in a 17-50mm since ive gotten so use to shooting at 50mm and on our crop sensor thats like 80mm so its a "portrait lens" lol but i would like to be able to shoot wider so id ont have to take multiple lens. after that i prob get something even wider than 17mm. then i think im good until i brush up my skills and editing more.

Sorry for the super late response :smh:

I love the tamron. It has made everyday shooting so much easier. I'm no photography buff, but it suits my needs as I think of it as a 'good' version of the kit lens.

I don't think it's super sharp or anything but it gets the job done for sure! I think there's two version of this lens?

I checked and I have the 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di II, I think non VC. I believe reading the reviews prompted me to buy the non VC version.

From my trip to Hawaii. To see more from my trip, feel free to check my Oahu thread.

Edit - I believe every photo was shot with a 35mm F2.0
Gave prime shooting another try since being so put off by using a 50mm on a crop sensor.

Criticism please? I would still call myself a noob and want to make my photos have life like what I see in these threads.
I'm playing around in lightroom and am still getting a feel of it.

Which one between these two? I have mixed feelings.

I think this might be my favorite shot of the trip

Last edited:
Criticism please? I would still call myself a noob and want to make my photos have life like what I see in these threads.

just as a general suggestion, i think it helps to think about a couple things:

there is a saying that goes something like, "if you want to take interesting photos, you need only get your camera in front of more interesting things." i don't think this literally requires any extraordinary thing being in front of your lens, but just that you be interested in what it is that you are photographing...

what is it about what you see/saw in the frame that led you to push the shutter (be it an emotion/feeling, a candid moment, an interesting composition, etc.)? how do you show this to the viewers of the photo and can you emphasis this in your processing?

i know for me, i sometimes get caught up/focused in on the technical aspects (making sure not to blow highlights, getting my technique 'right,' trying to make sure my focus is good, thinking about how i might eventually want to process the image) that i forget to pay attention to all of what is going on in the actual photo! which is a mistake because ultimately what people notice is not the technical things it takes to get a good photo, not that the technical part doesn't matter, but is the moment captured by the camera interesting in some way beyond just being a well taken picture...

now onto some of my technical photos (as such as i was thinking more about the process of taking the picture than what was actually in the picture, not that they are in anyway technically good photos!)

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

summer thunderstorm sunsets 1 by a0, on Flickr

prolly one of my favorite photos i have ever taken, even though i couldn't see what i was actually getting when i took it and i'm not sure anything in it is in focus, but because it reminds me of how glad i was to beat the sunset after riding from ny to dc it sticks out as special for me...and i think really good photos have that same quality, elicit a strong memory, tell a story or inform the viewer in a way they maybe aren't suspecting, for others

from a recent air & water show, though the latter was mostly obscured from where i was

From my trip to Hawaii. To see more from my trip, feel free to check my Oahu thread.

Edit - I believe every photo was shot with a 35mm F2.0
Gave prime shooting another try since being so put off by using a 50mm on a crop sensor.

Which one between these two? I have mixed feelings.

Photos look good. I'd probably ease up on the vignetting, but that's just my personal preference.

As for the top photos, I can't pick between the two. Neither of them really speak to me.

As tokes99 tokes99 mentioned, you need to be interested in your subject. I feel that for these photos, you just popped up behind him and snapped a couple of photos. Technically, they're pretty good. I'd just fix the leveling on the bottom photo. Also, the difference in shadows bug me, but that could just be preference.

I feel that it could have been more interesting if you waited for an interesting pose, took it from a different angle, etc.

Very good start.

I know this is all being talked about in the Apple thread but I wonder how the Apple 7 phone will be with cameras now that you can essentially shoot photos with Bokeh now. Of course this is all subject to tests but pocketable cameras are definitely more obsolete now if this phone does that properly. I swear.....I never thought I'd see the day a phone would do that.

apple-iphone-watch-20160907-5007.JPG

I know this is all being talked about in the Apple thread but I wonder how the Apple 7 phone will be with cameras now that you can essentially shoot photos with Bokeh now. Of course this is all subject to tests but pocketable cameras are definitely more obsolete now if this phone does that properly. I swear.....I never thought I'd see the day a phone would do that.

I really think consumer cameras are on their way out

i been saying that at the effective focal length, flagship phones can out basic DSLRs

Canon 5D Mk IV Dual Pixel Raw Review

Moral of the story - Shooting shallow depth of field still requires attention to focusing correctly in camera

i been saying that at the effective focal length, flagship phones can out basic DSLRs

I just can't agree with the statement that a tiny cellphone sensor is as good as even the cheapest nikon dslr sensor.

yea it is a wrap for consumer cameras, smartphones have succeeded in making taking pictures easier in a way that consumer camera makers have not...though in no way are even the best of the smartphone cameras in the class of dslrs in terms of pure image capture, it may eventually become the case, it may be sooner than most would guess, but it isn't close to being true now...

if the point you are making is that flagship phones are more useful for most people in the situations that most people are displaying & viewing images, that is unequivocally true as consumer camera sales attest to. that is very different than saying that these phones are on the same level as larger sensored dedicated cameras.

given how powerful phones continue to get, computational photography (light field technology, using multiple smaller sensors at different focal lengths, using computer processing) will likely make up a lot of the space between larger sensors and likely bring cooler additional stuff as well, but i'd imagine larger cameras will get some of these things as well, so i don't imagine it ever really be objectively true that these phones will be as good as larger sensored cameras, but the pace of smartphone development has been moving much faster than cameras, such that the cameras in our phones are well past good enough for the vast majority of us...

for example, people having been making feature films with dslr style cameras (there was even a feature film made on an iphone) and using action cameras on high production projects, i don't think they'd say that those cameras are better or as good as dedicated cinema cameras, because they offer distinct advantages over high quality expensive cinema cameras, it is the same with smartphones, they output great quality, they are easy enough to use, fit in a pocket, and who in this day in age has to remember to bring the phone anywhere? whereas dedicated cameras lose on most of those things for the average person

I just can't agree with the statement that a tiny cellphone sensor is as good as even the cheapest nikon dslr sensor.

I think in the real world, especially for what most consumers buy cheap nikon/canon cameras for -- vacation pics, pictures of their kids etc

Phones are doing an adequate job.

I know spec per spec DLSRs are superior.

Laptops are superior to tablets but tablets, in the real world, are phasing out most normal consumer uses of laptops.

yea it is a wrap for consumer cameras, smartphones have succeeded in making taking pictures easier in a way that consumer camera makers have not...though in no way are even the best of the smartphone cameras in the class of dslrs in terms of pure image capture, it may eventually become the case, it may be sooner than most would guess, but it isn't close to being true now...

if the point you are making is that flagship phones are more useful for most people in the situations that most people are displaying & viewing images, that is unequivocally true as consumer camera sales attest to. that is very different than saying that these phones are on the same level as larger sensored dedicated cameras.

given how powerful phones continue to get, computational photography (light field technology, using multiple smaller sensors at different focal lengths, using computer processing) will likely make up a lot of the space between larger sensors and likely bring cooler additional stuff as well, but i'd imagine larger cameras will get some of these things as well, so i don't imagine it ever really be objectively true that these phones will be as good as larger sensored cameras, but the pace of smartphone development has been moving much faster than cameras, such that the cameras in our phones are well past good enough for the vast majority of us...

for example, people having been making feature films with dslr style cameras (there was even a feature film made on an iphone) and using action cameras on high production projects, i don't think they'd say that those cameras are better or as good as dedicated cinema cameras, because they offer distinct advantages over high quality expensive cinema cameras, it is the same with smartphones, they output great quality, they are easy enough to use, fit in a pocket, and who in this day in age has to remember to bring the phone anywhere? whereas dedicated cameras lose on most of those things for the average person

Yeah i think my statement is a bit too bold and missleading.

Like i said, i understand that spec per spec a DLSR outclasses a phone

Im just saying in a practical, real world use, most consumers who are getting DSLRs only need what flagship phones can do and rarely what DSLRs can do.

Also understanding a strong photograph is composed by the shooter, not the camera.

a person taking crappy snap shots will be doing it with a phone or a canon 1D X Mark II

If the ip7 had a headphone jack, I would have bought one for sure.

I'm glad its getting phased out.... such an outdated technology.

Im pretty sure it comes with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter... if not one can be purchased.

I just don't see any benefit to dropping the jack. The phone is identical in shape, and they didn't put a speaker where the jack was. I use headphones often, and often times while the phone is charging. You have to make a decision now about charging your phone or listening to music. There is no need to phase out the jack, as there is nothing that is significantly better (CD drive phased out in favor of faster and larger storage usb drives)

Yeah i think my statement is a bit too bold and missleading.

Like i said, i understand that spec per spec a DLSR outclasses a phone

Im just saying in a practical, real world use, most consumers who are getting DSLRs only need what flagship phones can do and rarely what DSLRs can do.

Also understanding a strong photograph is composed by the shooter, not the camera.

a person taking crappy snap shots will be doing it with a phone or a canon 1D X Mark II

I can agree with that, but that has been how it been for the last few years. The cellphone cameras since the iPhone 4 have crushed the point and shoot market. There are still many things that my cellphone cannot do that my dslr can do easily.

Back
Top Bottom