The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Christmas trees make great impromptu backgrounds at family parties haha

31096015073_9fd4d67647_h.jpg

^^^Dude....I know. I have minor OCD where I couldn't even think to take a shot like that. I don't even like sand in my car. Haha.

Nice shot though. The focus is nailed perfectly with the eyes and lips.

Good stuff @DJYoung08
 - what was the cleanup like for that? Can't even imagine :lol:

Its a nightmare. Thank God my wife loves what i do because she volunteered herself as tribute to clean my office and our bathroom :rofl:

Legit looks like a unicorn exploded :x
^^^Dude....I know. I have minor OCD where I couldn't even think to take a shot like that. I don't even like sand in my car. Haha.

Nice shot though. The focus is nailed perfectly with the eyes and lips.

Thanks man. I was shooting the canon 100mm f/2.8 macro at f/4 so I had quite a bit of wiggle room.

I do have some f/2 shots at well that created some pretty interesting looks. I'll edit and post some soon.

I wouldn't recommend a fixed lens, fixed focal length camera for a beginner.

Why not? His main point was that he was going on vacation. Size plays a huge factor. I feel you even learn best when you're on a fixed focal length.

Last edited:
It's constricting. When you start out you kinda need a lot of wiggle room or time to really find what you like. With a fixed lens you're stuck right where you are. That's why the kit lens is a zoom of sorts.

I wouldn't recommend a fixed lens, fixed focal length camera for a beginner.

Why not? His main point was that he was going on vacation. Size plays a huge factor. I feel you even learn best when you're on a fixed focal length.

Although I think fixed focal lengths can be good for beginners to learn composition, only having one length at 28 (or 50? Since its apsc) is restricting for a travel camera. It's the same reason I bring a different camera than my iPhone when I travel. I don't want all of my shots to be wide angle pictures. If he were able to bring a couple lenses that were fixed length, I don't think that'd be a problem. That's my opinion though.... not everybody is going to agree.

It's constricting. When you start out you kinda need a lot of wiggle room or time to really find what you like. With a fixed lens you're stuck right where you are. That's why the kit lens is a zoom of sorts.

I don't see it as constricting at all. Move with your feet. Don't get lazy.

But of course, if you want to get "everything" there will be times where you'd need something with a little variability for those can't reach places.

I'd still recommend a GR simply due to the size.

Although I think fixed focal lengths can be good for beginners to learn composition, only having one length at 28 (or 50? Since its apsc) is restricting for a travel camera. It's the same reason I bring a different camera than my iPhone when I travel. I don't want all of my shots to be wide angle pictures. If he were able to bring a couple lenses that were fixed length, I don't think that'd be a problem. That's my opinion though.... not everybody is going to agree.

It's 28mm equiv. It's a 18.3mm or something like that.

For me, personally, if I'm travelling, I want something small. I don't want to worry about heavy cameras and what not if I'm still learning.

The main reason why I suggested the GR is because of the price point and portability.

What's a good ZA zoom lens that will go well with the a5000 and be around $400 total?

I would normally agree on the fixed focal thing but I swear a zoom to even pair with that is a good thing to have with your collection. There are times when I travel where I feel like I just don't have the right range for what I see. Even a lot of people I ask on IG, I find a lot use zooms for just general travel purposes. Granted these zooms are mostly the 70-200mm, 24-70mm, and 24-100mm, so it's hard to compare those lenses to that of a kit lens. But when I had my Nikon, I had the kit lens, fisheye and the 35mm and I found I almost had every focal length covered with what I shoot.

Anyone follow F-Stopper youtube channel? This was a pretty good stuff. Wish I could download the whole series but I am not trying to pay that cost.

Honest I find that with this hobby, you just sort of need every damn lens if you want to shoot all kind of different stuff. It's literally one of the worst things to get into cause it will just kill your income if you are that into it.

^ my travel setup if I'm going "light" is D810 + 28-300. It can handle pretty much any type of photo I want to take.

I would normally agree on the fixed focal thing but I swear a zoom to even pair with that is a good thing to have with your collection. There are times when I travel where I feel like I just don't have the right range for what I see. Even a lot of people I ask on IG, I find a lot use zooms for just general travel purposes. Granted these zooms are mostly the 70-200mm, 24-70mm, and 24-100mm, so it's hard to compare those lenses to that of a kit lens. But when I had my Nikon, I had the kit lens, fisheye and the 35mm and I found I almost had every focal length covered with what I shoot.

I def feel you. But then again, you can't really get all that for $400.

The reason why I recommended that camera is portability and the price point.

If size isn't an issue, I'd recommend a D7000 and a kit lens. But really, how often do you shoot longer than 85mm (if that) when you're going on vacation? Maybe I'm just biased towards street/documentary style photography.

My holy trinity for traveling would probably be a 24, 35, 50.

^^^^Oh....$400? I guess I didn't read that part. Ok yeah......that is a hard thing to figure. I'd say stick with your iPhone and just save more money till you can get a proper camera.

It's funny having the focal ranges you mentioned above but just hating the 50mm length on a full frame. I don't know what it is but I just don't like the range it is at. It's not wide nor is it long (no homo). I normally use it for telephoto purposes and it can't get that "good look" for nothing. Street photography is a little better but the 35mm is just that much more exciting. Shooting portraits in a confined space is what I find is great about the lens.

A6000 is $400 without a lens... not a bad price for that camera.

The a5000 seems like a good deal as well. $350 with a 16-50 included.

Last edited:
my girl and I decided that it was time she start her own fashion blog and she did. Something we lag severely behind is a proper camera that can take high quality photos, and im also not the best photographer but I've always been into photography from a distance and appreciate its atristry.

With her starting her own blog and me having to be her default photographer this was the perfect opportunity to really dive into photography.

Every single day I'm learning about photography and it's terminology and figuring out what different terms mean. I'm still a beginner, obviously, in every aspect of photography but I'm trying to learn and figure out ways to improve so that I get better as a photographer and so that her content on her blog looks A1.

Im thinking of purchasing a Canon T6i, does anyone have experience using this camera? Do you like it? Should I go with a Nikon or Sony instead?

Last edited:
Apreciate all the help fellas
I really do. But by the looks of it I might stick with my iPhone

before you end your search you might also want to check out one of these high end point & shoot cameras, sony rx100 (there are 5 versions of this; 1-2, maybe even the 3, can prolly be found under $400), the panasonic lumix lx100 or zs100 (you'll have to come up $100 or so to grab this tho), or the canon gx7 (also multiple versions of this camera, the oldest of which might be scooped for around $400)...each of these are pocketable, offer really good image quality, and have a great usable zoom range with awesome lenses relatively fast apertures...all mad decent travel cams

before you end your search you might also want to check out one of these high end point & shoot cameras, sony rx100 (there are 5 versions of this; 1-2, maybe even the 3, can prolly be found under $400), the panasonic lumix lx100 or zs100 (you'll have to come up $100 or so to grab this tho), or the canon gx7 (also multiple versions of this camera, the oldest of which might be scooped for around $400)...each of these are pocketable, offer really good image quality, and have a great usable zoom range with awesome lenses relatively fast apertures...all mad decent travel cams

Sounds good my man I'll look into apreciate the all the help.

Back
Top Bottom