The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Last edited:
Thanks for the bag recommendations. They look dope.

Did you end up buying one?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884458-REG/Lowepro_lp36433_pww_Photo_Hatchback_22L_AW.html

This is the bag I use and I find it to be perfect for me. I'm not sure how much gear you'll be lugging around but if it's not much then this backpack should do just fine. For $50 shipped I think it's a great deal, I think I paid ≈$80 for mine.

I wasn't in the market for a pack... but I might pick one of those up :lol:

I am really enjoying using my 85mm L II

I got put on to take some shots at a local gym opening in the city where i live and I got to use it on some shots.

I know the light inside was pretty flat but man the bokeh this lens renders is off the charts.

Almost SOOC... When i import into LR, i made a preset that adds a little contrast, sharpening and noise reduction back into the RAW

Shot at f/1.6

IMAGES
6033bf37_Alpha_Event-92.jpeg

shot at f/1.2

After using the lens for 7 shoots now, I am totally sold on keeping it. Since its so expensive, I had to know for sure that I wanted it. Its funny, i've read so much that the focus on it is slow and terrible but after calibrating it to my camera to make for sure the lens wasn't malfunctioning and shooting it at 2 night shoots, I dont see anything wrong with the focusing system on the lens. I would love for it to be faster, but its a portrait lens and im shooting portraits with it. I'm not taking photos of olympic track runners with it :lol:

These were both shot at f/1.2, at night, and have busy bright backgrounds. Very happy with the focus achieved.

Quick question for anyone that can chime in. I am shooting my cousin's wedding ceremony in 2 weeks in a church. I am going to get a 70-200mm on Borrowlenses.com and shoot with my 50mm on my other Canon 5D Mark 2. For church photos, should I just shoot natural light with high ISO or should I have a setup where I have a flash set somewhere and shoot off flash as well as natural light?

^ unrelated to your question, but have you thought about just buying a used 70-200 and selling it after the event?

Quick question for anyone that can chime in. I am shooting my cousin's wedding ceremony in 2 weeks in a church. I am going to get a 70-200mm on Borrowlenses.com and shoot with my 50mm on my other Canon 5D Mark 2. For church photos, should I just shoot natural light with high ISO or should I have a setup where I have a flash set somewhere and shoot off flash as well as natural light?
In my "small" amount of indoor experience with off camera light I'd go with off flash if there's going to be a strong presence of light on one side. Bouce it off the wall or ceiling

^^^^I am wondering if my flash would even reach that far. I assume I would shoot my flash with a narrow beam rather than at the wide angle. But I would have my flash stand from pretty far away. Perhaps I can try and do it where I can have two modes on my Canon where I have one mode for flash setup settings and the other one for high ISO none flash. Then just switch from one camera mode to the other when i am shooting and wanting that desired look.

^ unrelated to your question, but have you thought about just buying a used 70-200 and selling it after the event?

I honestly don't even have the liquid cash to get a used one. Borrowlenses has it for about a $100 with the shipping for 7 days. My local shop has it for $35 for the weekend but it's not the version 2 copy. I've tried the version 1 and it was good but the version 2 seemed that much more better. Definitely rivals some prime lenses as far as sharpness and what not.

^^^^I am wondering if my flash would even reach that far. I assume I would shoot my flash with a narrow beam rather than at the wide angle. But I would have my flash stand from pretty far away. Perhaps I can try and do it where I can have two modes on my Canon where I have one mode for flash setup settings and the other one for high ISO none flash. Then just switch from one camera mode to the other when i am shooting and wanting that desired look.
Yea, hadn't even thought of the distance. I was shooting in a lil bar room so I had my flash powered down a lil. With a average flash you may have to go direct and wide with as much distance as you can with the smallest possibility of people walking in front of it.

Depends on the quality of the ambient light.

One of the best things you can do is set up 2 flashes, one on each side of the the stage pointed towards the middle at about a 45 degree angle. You'd get nice fill light that way. Flash will have no problem traveling the distance it needs to. I rarely have to go higher than 1/2 power. You're not trying to outshoot and kill what ambient light you have, you're trying to add to it.

If you have one flash, just pick whatever side works best for the angles and getting the bride.

Another thing, of course is to ride the ISO assuming the ambient light is decent, albeit not much of it.

^^^^^Thanks for that. Ironically I just lost my other Yongnuo in a Uber so I only have one flash. I can order another one I guess since they are cheap but I am even looking into getting a better Yonguoa that has HSS. We'll see.

I think you just got to see the right guy/girl and just bribe them right and be nice about it. I know that is not always the case though cause I know people that got up there no problem, but I wonder if it is a more recent thing since that spot is super popular and even Curry filmed a commercial there.

Yeah a Youtuber I watch filmed for curry and under armour

REALLY considering getting into youtube for doing Lightroom tutorials, website / portfolio critiques, and gear tips.

Mostly for doing Lightroom tutorials that don't completely suck / have good voice overs :lol: :nerd:

REALLY considering getting into youtube for doing Lightroom tutorials, website / portfolio critiques, and gear tips.

Mostly for doing Lightroom tutorials that don't completely suck / have good voice overs :lol: :nerd:
Do it! I'll be the first one to subscribe :smile:

you aint ready for this deep soothing bass voice papi :wink:

nah but for real. My wife and i talked about it for a while and we're going to start planning it.

^ I'd be all over that!
Just starting out with Lightroom is kind of blowing my mind with everything that can be done

you aint ready for this deep soothing bass voice papi
wink.gif

nah but for real. My wife and i talked about it for a while and we're going to start planning it.
Automatically subscribed and you're from the 707 
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Last edited:
More shoe shots [emoji]128579[/emoji]

edit: color looks a lot better on my phone :rolleyes
Maybe its just my computer screen? Do the last 3 look almost too bright to any
one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom