The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

for those of you who shoot film and scan your own film i need some advice on black and white scanning. i use a epson v550 flatbed scanner and did a comparison test on low light footage shot at either asa 1600 or 3200. probably 3200, but i cant remember since the film was from last year. first test was scanning flat using the epson software and editing in lightroom. second test was using vue scan and scanning as a negative so i can convert to positive (normal photo) in photoshop using colorperfect. Then i edited in lightroom. got it flat as i could on both methods and turns out i get practically the same results. the vuescan method helps with the grain, but im not sure the workflow makes it worth it. i mean this was shot at a high iso so there will be grain regardless. the vuescan software also has more options. it allows scanning multiple times so your final scan will look better. i did 3 times. i believe vue scanner is better due the multiple passes of scanning but again the difference doesnt make the workflow worth it in my opinion.

i can post pics if anyone wants to see, but what is your guys methods for scanning and editing black and white film? seems like i could just use the epson scan method and take the easy way out without too much harm lol

Went out to the mountains again today but to do portraits for a friend.

Still grasping portrait photography so I've got a lot to learn and improve. But any feedback from these so far?

36898143904_fd4d5ce777_z.jpg

37608775451_55a03b10a1_z.jpg

23755889258_67f67b38e7_z.jpg
Looks dope. What camera and lens are you using?

So bmw reposted two of my photos this month. I know this isn't really a big thing since they tend to post any new car pics but I never thought that this hobby of photography would lead to taking photos of peoples cars or even getting noticed on the gram as cheesy as it sounds. My bad for the obnoxiously large screenshots

bmwm1.JPG
bmwm2.JPG

Any advice on how to shoot outdoor shots (street photography/fit shots) without having the sky be so intrusive/bright?

Also advice for for indoor shots? Im trying to shoot more at a 3.5-5.0 aperture, ISO is 400-800 depending on lighting and shutter is set appropriately. First time really shooting in a museum and it was challenging where I had to change settings with every room being a different lighting. Speaking of not having the sky lighting so intrusive, shot at the Met today and especially in th Egyptin exhibit theres thst one open area, the sun was really screwing up some shots. Whats the trick dor those? Even when im doing outdoor shots I usually do upward angle shots while im down low but I try not to get the sky in the shot sometimes cause ts hella bright.

^^^^^Shoot in flat light. Sometimes overcast is even better with portraits. If you shoot with the sun up, you will just have to use the sun in the right way. Shoot the sun behind you or to the right/left. Shoot it in front of you and of course you will get back light which is a look but hard to shoot regardless. Also shoot in the mornings so the sun is low and not all the way up in the sky. This is how a lot of wedding photographers shoot. There are also tools you can use too filter light but you might need an assistant. I am sure the wedding guys can chime in here and share their thoughts and insights.

Any advice on how to shoot outdoor shots (street photography/fit shots) without having the sky be so intrusive/bright?

Also advice for for indoor shots? Im trying to shoot more at a 3.5-5.0 aperture, ISO is 400-800 depending on lighting and shutter is set appropriately. First time really shooting in a museum and it was challenging where I had to change settings with every room being a different lighting. Speaking of not having the sky lighting so intrusive, shot at the Met today and especially in th Egyptin exhibit theres thst one open area, the sun was really screwing up some shots. Whats the trick dor those? Even when im doing outdoor shots I usually do upward angle shots while im down low but I try not to get the sky in the shot sometimes cause ts hella bright.

In addition to what Fong said, a large diffuser works well also. Depending on wind you will need either an assistant or a stand

Shooting indoors at 3.5-5.0 with your ISO that low your shutter speed is gonna be low which is going to invite plenty of blur depending on: the lighting indoors and the low light ability of your camera. When I shoot indoors with no flash I typically shoot my ISO higher (1600ish) so I can have my shutter speed higher to avoid blur. Shooting indoors can be trying because the lighting is different in different places in each room. You can stand in the middle of the room and turn around 360 degrees and see 3-4 different lighting arrangements. Tungsten and fluorescent lights in different spots so you have to either put your cam on Auto and trust that it can account for it or be cognizant of what settings you have to adjust to each lighting arrangement.

When shooting against the sun in those upward shots, your best option is going to be to get a reflector or flash. you biggest problem is the sun being the massive light source and your fighting it directly and very little light is reflecting back to your subject so you have to create your own light or reflect the sun to illuminate your subject.

This is a pretty interesting app. Only been downloaded <50 times

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18/16499274/elsiepic-service-app-freelance-photographers-launch
A new company called ElsiePic understands the mind of an influencer who needs a constant stream of fresh photos. The company's idea is simple. Whenever you need a photo taken, like when you're on vacation with your family and want a group pic in front of the Statue of Liberty, you can use ElsiePic to find photographers in the area who are available to take your photo.

The app, which is only available as a beta version on Android right now, shows a map of photographers and their portfolios, who can use either a DSLR or smartphone camera. I don't know how much a booking costs for users, or how much the photographers make, but I can't imagine it's a particularly lucrative arrangement.

It's like an Uber for photographers. I don't know if there is that serious of a demand to want to hire a photographer on the spot like that. People seem pretty happy with their phone selfies.

On a side note, I do notice a lot of artists/singers/rappers seem to have a photographer with them all the time. The one that comes to mind is Kevin Wong that did stuff for The Game and not shoots a lot more than just him. It's like a way to beef up an artists IG without it being bad cell phone stuff. Man...in another lifetime, I would love to have done that with someone I appreciate. Just travel the road and just shoot what I see on tour. Seems fun.

https://www.instagram.com/iamkevinwong/?hl=en

Don't think there's a paying market for it but it is a great idea. Often think about setting up a lil mobile both downtown to capture lil impromptu family shots.

Yea, every now and again you do see a part of the entourage with a DSLR. I'd love to tail Kanye or Future or the like

Yeah that's the trend I see a lot lately. If you're able to network with one of these up n coming artist and shoot for them you're set.

On another note, I'm looking to move to FL soon (ft. Lauderdale area). I was wondering what are some good places to shoot and if any of you guys live out there and we can perhaps link up and network. I wanna get there and get the ball running with this side hustle. Any info is greatly appreciated

IMG_0823.JPG
^^^^^Shoot in flat light. Sometimes overcast is even better with portraits. If you shoot with the sun up, you will just have to use the sun in the right way. Shoot the sun behind you or to the right/left. Shoot it in front of you and of course you will get back light which is a look but hard to shoot regardless. Also shoot in the mornings so the sun is low and not all the way up in the sky. This is how a lot of wedding photographers shoot. There are also tools you can use too filter light but you might need an assistant. I am sure the wedding guys can chime in here and share their thoughts and insights.

Even ln overcast days the clouds are intrisuve at times. I never shoot facing the sun either. This is a problem whenever I have a frame and theres some sky to the right or left of it, and sometimes the frame just cant be fixed. On a less intrusive scale check the pic below, how do I get the sky to not be so bright? Post production?

In addition to what Fong said, a large diffuser works well also. Depending on wind you will need either an assistant or a stand

Shooting indoors at 3.5-5.0 with your ISO that low your shutter speed is gonna be low which is going to invite plenty of blur depending on: the lighting indoors and the low light ability of your camera. When I shoot indoors with no flash I typically shoot my ISO higher (1600ish) so I can have my shutter speed higher to avoid blur. Shooting indoors can be trying because the lighting is different in different places in each room. You can stand in the middle of the room and turn around 360 degrees and see 3-4 different lighting arrangements. Tungsten and fluorescent lights in different spots so you have to either put your cam on Auto and trust that it can account for it or be cognizant of what settings you have to adjust to each lighting arrangement.

When shooting against the sun in those upward shots, your best option is going to be to get a reflector or flash. you biggest problem is the sun being the massive light source and your fighting it directly and very little light is reflecting back to your subject so you have to create your own light or reflect the sun to illuminate your subject.

Im shooting with a 6D and a 50 1.8

Im alway wary of having my ISO that high, how capable is a 6D with such a high ISO? My old T5 was terrible with anything over 400, just so grainy. I rather work with a small tripod + lower shutter speed than a higher ISO. But it does take longer for shots.

So essentially you want the sky to show color or have detail rather than it being blown out? In that photo you posted, was it overcast? It seems like the sun was to the left corner. Just shoot front lit sun like below and everything should show. Notice below how the other pics have lighter backgrounds. Front lit just shows more of everything. Of course the real challenge is knowing where that sun would be if you are shooting a specific area. Like in your pic, maybe front lit happens at sun rise or sun set. To even get good photos, you have to wait for the right time just so the sun is at a good spot. Or just get a flash/strobe and overpower the sun.

reposition-examples.jpg

That was around 4pm Eastern time, sunset is around 6:20 right now.

I try to not have the sky so much cause it does seem bright even on overcast days.

That was around 4pm Eastern time, sunset is around 6:20 right now.

I try to not have the sky so much cause it does seem bright even on overcast days.
That's cause it's still brighter even on an overcast day.

The light is going to be more pleasing around 530 till sunset. You have that gold tone

Is it a fake filter of some sorts with the water? Actually I find a lot of people do a lot of fake photos which I am not fond of.

Case in point. Saw this link while searching for long exposure shots in Seattle and people really just reflect images in the water by flipping another copy upside down.

https://sigmas.exposure.co/post-processing-tutorial
Yeap ... bruh fake everything is what people seem to love in IT. You have a few pages like moodygrams that people flock to with a bunch of altered images. Seems like is acceptable in IG.

Back
Top Bottom