The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

NT Fam,

I've been hired to shoot a destination wedding (my first) in Ecuador and i fly out tomorrow.

Has anybody done a wedding ? What are some obstacles you faced and what should i always keep in mind? Any tips would be appreciated, Thank you.

Last edited:
NT Fam,
I've been hired to shoot a destination wedding (my first) in Ecuador and i fly out tomorrow.
Has anybody done a wedding ? What are obstacles i should look out for and what should i always keep in mind? Any tips would be appreciated, Thank you.

You've never shot a wedding and your first is a destination?...is it friends of yours?...I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I hope you were honest about your experience bro...first weddings are usually the toughest....is like riding a bike for the first time, you will fall...best advice I can give you is know what lenses you'll need for those critical shots, have 2 bodies, one with a long zoom (135, 70-200) the other with some sort of wider lense (24,35 or even a 50) look out for that walk down the isle, then turn around and catch the look on the grooms face, the first kiss, have a list of important family members ready to make the formals easier, designate at least an hour alone with B&G post ceremony for their portraits, try to
Stay in the neighborhood of f2.6 to 3.0 to ensure you get the focus right....use AI servo for that walk down the isle to track the bride better....during the ceremony don't forget te guests, they'll give you some great emotions that will look great in an album, portfolio, blog post....GOOD LUCK.

One of the many view along the Hana highway in Maui

7796985100_dbb1009421_b.jpg

Sunrise at the top of Haleakala, Maui

7786270894_6897d87d58_b.jpg

You've never shot a wedding and your first is a destination?...is it friends of yours?...I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I hope you were honest about your experience bro...first weddings are usually the toughest....is like riding a bike for the first time, you will fall...best advice I can give you is know what lenses you'll need for those critical shots, have 2 bodies, one with a long zoom (135, 70-200) the other with some sort of wider lense (24,35 or even a 50) look out for that walk down the isle, then turn around and catch the look on the grooms face, the first kiss, have a list of important family members ready to make the formals easier, designate at least an hour alone with B&G post ceremony for their portraits, try to
Stay in the neighborhood of f2.6 to 3.0 to ensure you get the focus right....use AI servo for that walk down the isle to track the bride better....during the ceremony don't forget te guests, they'll give you some great emotions that will look great in an album, portfolio, blog post....GOOD LUCK.

First off, thank you for the quick response, as it is needed because of my time constraint.

Secondly, they know what they are getting themselves into and i was transparent about everything. I've worked with my friends' sister on her sons baptism and they loved my work (paid gig). So when they approached me about doing the wedding (totally different game), I was reluctant because i'd rather shadow a Pro my first round bout. But since they had confidence in my work, i accepted. So the deal is... they fly me out (round trip ticket), house/feed me, full paid trip and a lil extra cash (tip) and i'll be out there for 7 days. So all in all, it's a vacation for me and i get to document my time with them.

Ksteezy, Thank you for your wise words of advice (super helpful and it painted a picture of how hectic it will be)... I appreciate that you kept it real and that you gave sound/practical tips.

DAT NT SUPPORT. :nthat:

Last edited:
Yeah no problem bro, as long as you were honest you should be fine....just be on your toes...build a story of the day, hair, makeup, dress, accessories, bridal party, church, the walk, the look on Grooms face, the first kiss, the crowd, the walk out the church, more crowd, formals, reception details, first dance, cake, bouquet toss, party party party!....I personally shoot at a very low angle and leave lots of negative space up top when I shoot with my 24L or 35L adds drama to the shot, bounce your flash and don't ignore ambient light!...never stop shooting bro....if by the end of the night your wrist is not sore, you didn't do your job to its full potential!

Can anyone school me on how to make a watermark (with a logo)? I've been trying to find out how, but I can't seem to find the right source, and I see so many nice ones on here. Any info on how to create my own would be great :nerd: :smokin

Last edited:
excited to be upgrading from my sony *** to the a77

would a 50mm lens suffice for regular use such as pictures of people, cars, etc

I still have to master setting my camera. Im learning little by little. this camera is a lot different than my D7000. Went to Gen Con downtown this weekend. I thought I was a gamer.. ..These guys put me to shame

Gen Con Indy 12' by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

People had nice costumes there too.

Gen Con Indy 12' Master Chief by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

Gen Con Indy 12' Darth Vader by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

Shoot in RAW because it will allow much more flexibility in POST (you probably already know that). Learn the rules of third (but don't live by it), get lost in the art of photography and the best advice i can give is to keep shooting (no matter the shutter count) until you produce what your mind wanted. Also, move your feet when you're having trouble with composition (always helps).
P.S. Page 1 is a great source for anything photography... dive into that as well.
Thanks!

So if I shot the pics RAW, do I need a program in my computer for the demosaicing process?

Picked up a 4gb Eye-fi Connect X2 card today...works flawlessly with my DSLR, sending photos straight to my iPhone over direct connect.
Going to try iPad tomorrow, as well as wi-fi uploads direct to the web....so far it seems to work well....but the true test will be next week when I start traveling.
-sf77

Took my car to get detailed 2 weeks ago and seized the opportunity to get some shots in. I'm trying to shoot as much as possible to get an understanding of what makes a picture. Unfortunately, I didn't take anything really up to my standards except for this...

Couple of things I need help on,

Whats the easiest way to understand ISO, Fstop and Shutter speed?

I just got the Canon 60D, what are some good rookie lens I should get? Wants something with great zoom like 300mm.
What is IS USM?

Thanks guys. This picture taking is fun.

Back
Top Bottom