The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Someone on CL's is selling their Mark II for 700 obo. 0]

Check for the clicks. I would assume cosmetically it would be damaged or at least not brand new looking. It could be worth it but it could not. The worst is to get it and the shutter breaks and you have to replace it. Although I did it for my Nikon and it cost a little over $200 to fix.

ok so i'm looking to finally buy an entry level DSLR before the year's up....here's what i'm hearing so far

Canon entry level DSLR> Nikon entry level DSLR

entry level DSLRs with the right lens = just as good as the professional DSLRs

Canon has better video quality for the EL DSLR

That's pretty much it. Oh and it's primarily for taking pics of sneakers and/or sports

Also looking for either the T3i or D3100( any compare and which is better comments btw the two would be much appreciated)
Thanks

This is how I would stack cameras between Canon and Nikon:

Entry Level: Canon T3i/t4i/t5i
Novice: Nikon D7000/D7001
Pro Crop: Canon 7D or the new one that will come out soon.
Entry level full frame: Canon 6D or a Canon Mark 2 since it is cheap
Novice Full Frame: Mark 3 or Nikon D800 or even the Nikon DF
Pro: Canon 1DX or Nikon D4

I said it a couple of pages back but if I was to get a new camera from the start, I would get a Nikon D7000 (body only is like under $700) or the new D7001. It's a medium range DSLR but it's worth to spend the extra money on getting it since it is so good. Even for what you would like to shoot, it'd be great cause it shoots 6 frame per second, has good ISO for moving objects and low light and they have a 35mm and a 50mm lens for really decent prices for the quality.

Check out this video too and see how it even compares to the Nikon budget full frame.

ok so i'm looking to finally buy an entry level DSLR before the year's up....here's what i'm hearing so far

Canon entry level DSLR> Nikon entry level DSLR

entry level DSLRs with the right lens = just as good as the professional DSLRs

Canon has better video quality for the EL DSLR

That's pretty much it. Oh and it's primarily for taking pics of sneakers and/or sports

Also looking for either the T3i or D3100( any compare and which is better comments btw the two would be much appreciated)
Thanks

I can't say that Canon is better than Nikon, nor vice versa because it really does come down to user preference. To answer that question it's better you go to a store and spend some time with either camera to find out which one you like best.

Lenses really do make most of the difference, if not all, IMO. You could be shooting with either companies flagship body and a kit lens and be wasting your money, or shooting with an entry level body and good glass and get the best quality out of that camera.

I don't know if Nikon has made any improvements to their video systems, but I still think they fall behind in that category. Canon has the DSLR video game on lock.

I can't say that Canon is better than Nikon, nor vice versa because it really does come down to user preference. To answer that question it's better you go to a store and spend some time with either camera to find out which one you like best.

Lenses really do make most of the difference, if not all, IMO. You could be shooting with either companies flagship body and a kit lens and be wasting your money, or shooting with an entry level body and good glass and get the best quality out of that camera.

I don't know if Nikon has made any improvements to their video systems, but I still think they fall behind in that category. Canon has the DSLR video game on lock.

Nikon video has DEFINITELY stepped up.

Here's a video I took yesterday with no post processing. (The first minute or so is underexposed)

Last edited:
Nikon frame rates for video is finally on par with Canon but I think ISO is a different story. Unless you are only shooting video during the day, then Canon still might be the winner if you are shooting some really low light stuff. Still.....I think Canon is at least the industry favorite. I don't know one present that shoots Nikons for strictly video, but I am sure it doesn't mean you can't do it.

^of course Canon will reign supreme, but I'm just saying NIkon has definitely stepped up their game on video

Bout to pull the trigger on my first film camera, and I have it narrowed down to two.  Hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction.

Its between a Ricoh 35mm with Skylight 67 mm Ricoh lens (macro to 100 mm) - f4 bayonet lens, lens case, total camera case and Starblitz 3800 DFS flash OR

A Pentax K1000 35mm that comes with attached lens and external flash. 

Both are approx. the same price, but I'm kinda leaning towards the Pentax for quality.  Am I wrong?

This is how I would stack cameras between Canon and Nikon:

Entry Level: Canon T3i/t4i/t5i
Novice: Nikon D7000/D7001
Pro Crop: Canon 7D or the new one that will come out soon.
Entry level full frame: Canon 6D or a Canon Mark 2 since it is cheap
Novice Full Frame: Mark 3 or Nikon D800 or even the Nikon DF
Pro: Canon 1DX or Nikon D4

close
nikons range goes as so
entry level d3100, d3200
novice d5100, d5200
pro crop d7000, d7100
entry level full frame d700,d600,d610
novice full frame d800, d800e
pro d4

i personally would go the nikon route for anything pro crop and higher but I'm biased. the canons I've held were very minimalistic layout wise and felt cheap. I'm sure canons entry level full frame offerings are much better layout wise.
as far as video goes canons have known to be better only because you can change your aperture while recording in live view while the nikons you can't , you need to leave live view change your aperture in camera mode then switch back to video mode to see the change. the work around this is to use older lens with the aperture ring.
the newer nikons can shoot at 50i and 60i and the new 5200 can shoot 1080p at 60fps. so nikon definitely has upgraded their video offerings. like someone stated earlier your best bet is to go to the store and get a feel the cameras, or even rent the cams and go shooting to make your decision.

^^^^^I meant to list down what cameras I would own if I was in the market to get a specific type of camera in a certain category between either Nikon or Canon. Like if I was in the market to get the best crop camera, I would get the Canon 7D over the Nikon 300s. Or with entry level full frames, I would get the Canon 6D over the Nikon D600.......and so on.

^^^^^I meant to list down what cameras I would own if I was in the market to get a specific type of camera in a certain category between either Nikon or Canon. Like if I was in the market to get the best crop camera, I would get the Canon 7D over the Nikon 300s. Or with entry level full frames, I would get the Canon 6D over the Nikon D600.......and so on.

i understand everyone has a preference but the 6d over the d600? really?

I just heard nothing but bad things about the focus system on the Nikon. Like sensor seems to only cover the center of the focus area and they had their issues with dust and oil on the sensor, which is why there is a new one out already. 6D's focus system is supposed to be better (although similar) and the ISO is on par with a Mark 3. Someone told me in retrospect I should have gotten the 6D over my Mark 2 and I think they were right. At the time though, the Mark 2 was $1800 and the 6D just came out and was well over 2K.

I just heard nothing but bad things about the focus system on the Nikon. Like sensor seems to only cover the center of the focus area and they had their issues with dust and oil on the sensor, which is why there is a new one out already. 6D's focus system is supposed to be better (although similar) and the ISO is on par with a Mark 3. Someone told me in retrospect I should have gotten the 6D over my Mark 2 and I think they were right. At the time though, the Mark 2 was $1800 and the 6D just came out and was well over 2K.
there was nothing wrong with the AF system, people just didn't like how the focus point spread was (doesn't even feel squeezed when looking through the viewfinder). The 6D has a terrible spread. Aside from the higher native ISO there's nothing about the 6D that I would hold over the d600. I honestly wouldn't recommended it to anyone unless they wanted to stay with canon and don't won't to spend money on a 5dm3

Sup guys? I need some input. My co-worker is selling me one of his Yashica T4 for $150, is that a good deal or nah? Thanks in advance!

The image quality on my AE-1p is turrble.

Bought a polaroid 35mm point and shoot. Shot with a roll Arista 100 and didn't turn out so well...

just put in a roll of Ilford 400 to see if the results will be better.

Sup guys? I need some input. My co-worker is selling me one of his Yashica T4 for $150, is that a good deal or nah? Thanks in advance!

DO it! It's a decent price. I think I got mine for $140 and it's kinda beat up.

Yeah, i think i will buy it. Thanks guy. He was also telling me that i could try out one of the T4s with a roll of film if i wanted to, so i might do that before i buy it from him.

Few from last night...

Planning on taking a trip to South East Asia next summer and looking for a good camera. Was checking out SlickDeals and came across The Canon 60D for what seems to be a good price at $490 shipped (refurbished from canon) Is this a good camera at a good price? I trust you guys over them...Also, what type of lens would be best for all purpose type of photography?

Finally had a chance to go off base and explore Germany a little bit. Went to a city about 15-20 minutes away by train. Had a great time, didn't take my 60D with me though. Have a lot more but i don't want to upload everything. All of these taken with my Canon S95. Pumped up the ISO a bit on the two night shots so theirs some grain, haven't edited any of these. Gonna get lightroom soon, looking forward to messing around with it as well as learning how to use it.

^^^^^Germany looks dope. How's the language barrier out there? I actually want to go but wonder if that could be an issue.

there was nothing wrong with the AF system, people just didn't like how the focus point spread was (doesn't even feel squeezed when looking through the viewfinder). The 6D has a terrible spread. Aside from the higher native ISO there's nothing about the 6D that I would hold over the d600. I honestly wouldn't recommended it to anyone unless they wanted to stay with canon and don't won't to spend money on a 5dm3

I actually just read a site explaining the focus system on the 6D. They actually back to a 9 point system which is good and also bad. On further reviews though, they did say the D600 was better in focusing....so I guess I am wrong. I did see the DigitalRev video of Kai shooting a D600 of people boxing and having a rough time but honestly you'd get that even with a Mark 2 and probably the 6D.

^^^^^Germany looks dope. How's the language barrier out there? I actually want to go but wonder if that could be an issue.

There's a bit of a barrier, i haven't been to enough cities to definitively say the majority speak English. The city i went to is close to the air base i'm at so they interact with Americans a lot so some speak English. I'm headed to Stuttgart in a couple of weeks so i'll see how the language barrier is there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom