The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

That is one of the only gripes I have with Nikon. Canon has no DX or FX....they all just work depending on what focal length it is. I know Nikon full frames have a DX mode but you'll be shooting at half the pixels.

But I still like Nikons regardless. Maybe one day I'll go back to it.

Anyone on here own a battery grip? Thinking about getting one for the 6D. I was going to go with a stk battery and a neeweer grip since it's only $35. Any brands out there that you guys recommend that are under $50?

I'm definitely getting a grip when I upgrade. It's funny that I find myself shooting more and more in portrait orientation but then it's difficult to use back button focusing.

[quote name="SDS45"]
So would the 28mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.8G compliment each other on cropped as well as FF?

Edit: Also, I went to a store to see the 50mm 1.8G yesterday and wasn't too impressed with the build quality, when moved it felt and sounded like there was something loose inside of it. I asked for another 50 and same thing. Is this common with this lens?[/quote]

Yep. Your 28mm would be a wide angle/semi wide angle, and the 50mm would be normal.

Did you try the G or D 50mm? I know the D's aren't all that great. The G's are pretty good - both 1.4 and 1.8.

Finally got a chance to take the 16-35 out today for the first time. Took it to my usual testing grounds, and decided to try a Pano for the first time as well. The difference @ small apertures between this and my 24-70 is staggering..

The small size doesn't do it justice:

900x900px-LL-ff6f4eee_RJHFOTO2of1.jpeg

^^^^Even his review is biased. He literally likes the 6D auto focus cause he doesn't shoot action shots. As we all know, DSLRs might not have the biggest difference in features but to get them, it cost an arm and a leg. The Mark 3 to the Canon 1DX has the biggest gap in price but if people shoot action and want that FPS, then you'd get the 1DX. If not...then the Mark 3 is just as good at times. Even the whole debate with lenses is the same. Like is the 50mm f/1.8 that much better then the f/1.6 and is the f/1.6 that much better then the f/1.2? It's hard to say but if you want one to the other, it cost way more to get it.

Personally from me using the Mark 2 the Mark 3, I do like the Mark 3 but it really is only a couple of things that makes it better and more notably it's the focus system. The Mark 3 just locks no what I want to shoot where the Mark 2 can miss at times. But I just shot a Juicy J concert last night and literally got nothing good out of the 350 shots I got cause of the crowd and the lighting was bad. So again....it's all relative and depends on what you shoot.

^ I didn't real the article, but man 11 AF points on the 6D was the deal breaker for me. It's almost soley the reason I went to camp Nikon. I know its considered an entry level full frame, and not everyone shoots sports of action all the time, but 11 is laughable IMO at its price point. 

I can't call KR bias when he just giving his reviews from his perspective but still laying out the information for you to make a judgment. That being said I honestly don't like any of the photos KR takes (as far as the samples he displays). They're all unrealistically vibrant and saturated. So his perspective isn't really one I'd recommend people to even look into.

In anycase when I made the initial switch to Canon I looked at both the 6D and 5DM3 and chose the latter. The 6D didn't really offer anything impressive other than built in wifi

^ def agreed. At the time I was looking for my first full frame, but the 6D sucked in specs in almost every other category. I was hoping for more of a 7D with a FF. The 5dmk3 was out of my price range so I opted for Nikon.

^ def agreed. At the time I was looking for my first full frame, but the 6D sucked in specs in almost every other category. I was hoping for more of a 7D with a FF. The 5dmk3 was out of my price range so I opted for Nikon.

What did you end up with, D610?

I really think the 6D is for the full frame sensor. Like using a lens that would show the proper focal length and not a crop version of it. Also I am sure the quality of the photos are better then say the 7D but some things just don't make sense with what the 6D has. You don't even have to shoot action shots to want the focus of the 7D or the Mark 3. Low lit shots are always an issue with focusing and unless you are only shooting long exposure landscapes at night, I'd find it pretty hard to lock on the right subject matter even at a hi ISO. You can definitely get the shot but it just takes less tries with the better cameras.

But this discussions with full frames is exactly what is wrong with the Nikon DF. That thing is not only more expensive then the D610 but you might as well save up a tad bit more and get the D800 instead. The camera literally offers less with a higher price tag.

What did you end up with, D610?
I ended up with the D600 for a slightly cheaper price than the D610. I ran into a hell of a deal shortly later for the D800 and thats now where I sit 
nthat.gif

But yea, before all this, I had only owned Canon stuff and wanted to stay loyal, but the 6D looked so unimpressive I started looking to see what Nikon had to offer to compare.

I think this topic came up before and I was recommending people who were looking at the 6D and D600 to go with the Nikon. The 6D didn't offer slightly worse specs, it offered terrible specs compared to the D600. The D600 is a great camera when I initially had it. I'm back to a D610 after leaving Canon.

For those doing paid concert/performance photography, are you contacting venues to see if you can provide the service or are you getting in touch with performers to provide the service?

Last edited:
Was recommended getting the Sony a6000 for an upgrade. Anyone know if that cam is worth buying? I'm about to start doing some research on it now.

For those doing paid concert/performance photography, are you contacting venues to see if you can provide the service or are you getting in touch with performers to provide the service?

The venue. They’ll be the ones who ask the performers if they are okay with photographers. I was supposed to get a pass for last night but last minute, they told me I couldn’t get it cause they wanted no one on stage.

Was recommended getting the Sony a6000 for an upgrade. Anyone know if that cam is worth buying? I'm about to start doing some research on it now.

I've heard a lot of good things about that camera. I can't comment on it personally, though.

Anyone else in here shoot Fuji? I feel like I'm the only one. :lol:

I'm kinda digging that Fuji XT-1 or whatever. Only a fantasy for now though...I've spent welllllllllllll past my budget lately 

I've been eyeing the x100s forever just can't get the funds together to buy it, always blowing money on something else... :/

Back
Top Bottom