The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

4393538557_77c47d2f42_b.jpg

4394305002_9ab94b5810_b.jpg

I shot a wedding for a family member a while back. A friend saw the pics and asked me about doing a weddings coming up. I am by no means a professional, but do think I do a pretty good job and have gotten better since the last wedding. I was just curious to know what is a reasonable amount to charge to shoot a wedding as a non-professional. I will be traveling about 4 hours, but will not have to pay for a place to stay because it is in my hometown. Any input would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by phaze1123

I shot a wedding for a family member a while back. A friend saw the pics and asked me about doing a weddings coming up. I am by no means a professional, but do think I do a pretty good job and have gotten better since the last wedding. I was just curious to know what is a reasonable amount to charge to shoot a wedding as a non-professional. I will be traveling about 4 hours, but will not have to pay for a place to stay because it is in my hometown. Any input would be appreciated.
I listen to a photography podcast(TWIP) and they were talking about this, non-professional's undercutting professional/market pricing.  They kept using 500$ as the example for the non professional, while pro was 2k and up. 
ohwell.gif

500 sounds cool to me.

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

Originally Posted by phaze1123

I listen to a photography podcast(TWIP) and they were talking about this, non-professional's undercutting professional/market pricing.  They kept using 500$ as the example for the non professional, while pro was 2k and up. 
ohwell.gif

500 sounds cool to me.
Depends on how many hours, how many photos they're wanting, if they want a book/prints, and you definitely need to charge for expenses. You shouldn't be paying to shoot their wedding. What's your setup look like?

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

RIPyzyz wrote:
phaze1123 wrote:
ohwell.gif

500 sounds cool to me.

Depends on how many hours, how many photos they're wanting, if they want a book/prints, and you definitely need to charge for expenses. You shouldn't be paying to shoot their wedding. What's your setup look like?

I haven't spoken directly to the couple yet...I was wanting to get an idea of what a fair rate is before I spoke with them. I am assuming they want something similar to what I did for my family member.  I did some shots of the venue, some "getting ready" shots, actual wedding shots, wedding party/family shots, pre-reception shots and reception.  I then put together an book and included extra prints. For my family member it was pretty much left up to my discretion what was/wasn't included. As far as equipment, I am shooting with a Canon 20d with an external flash. I shoot with a 20-80mm lens and 80-200mm lens. I also have a film slr for backup. Nothing too fancy, but definitely an alternative to more expensive professional outfits.  I assume they are looking for a solid job without the professional price-tag.

Here are some shots from yesterday's Temple vs. La Salle game. C/C is always appreciated and the full set can be viewed here.

4396318409_2710a52595.jpg

4397085168_01ce299c3b.jpg

4396319125_ea9d50762d.jpg

4396319521_e46daf5200.jpg

4396321847_99419c3174.jpg

I saw this on some blog. Someone at the Olympics is shooting with to cameras stuck together to do some sort of 3D effect. I am assuming it is the same effect as the blue/red 3D look that I did a couple of post back.

4392274063_c4323b8503.jpg

32587028.jpg

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

Damn Fong, you need to be a skate photographer
pimp.gif

Advice? I need to start taking photos of me and my friends skating.

I wish man but a lot of those shots I really had no idea what I was doing. Actually I hate to say it but most of my shots with a fisheye are a given with skate photos. The effect is so nice that all you have to do is frame a skater right and your photo should be straight. A regular lens is where the real challenge is and I think looks more timeless then fisheye photos. I guess if there was any advice I can give when I see a skate photo is to just make sure you frame the skater with it's environment correctly. Like don't just have a skater all centered in the middle of a picture. Have them offset a little and capture what he is skating.

The magazine that is just doing things in the photo department with skate covers is Skaterboarder. Check out just a few of there past issues:

SKTP-100400-COV-Rweb.jpg

SKTP-100300-COV-R.jpg

SKTP-090800-COVgate.jpg

SKTP-091000-COV-001.jpg

^^^Pfanner cover is the best!

Question to those who use film..

when you guys develop the film..where do you guys develop them at, does it even matter?

and do you guys get the actual photos or have them placed on a  cd?

Back
Top Bottom