The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

ASAP-FERG-BERLIN-18.jpg

Great shot!!

Took a trip to Pennsylvania to visit my cousin and her newborn baby boy. He was born a little early so he'll be in the NICU for a few more weeks. Didn't get a chance to be around the little guy much. 

Also visited a local cavern. It was my first time shooting in a really dark place and I think my 35 f/1.8 did an okay job. I really struggled with the AF and switching to MF was a big leap for me especially in the dark. 

Oh yeah, one question for all you wedding shooters in here: how long does it typically take you to get the photos to your clients? My cousin was married in November 2013 and she just got her album/digital copies a few days ago. They're still waiting on the videographer to send over the video. I told her that I think that's a bit ridiculous and her husband agreed. He was considering just asking for a refund and forgetting the video completely. 

^^^^That's ridiculous. Even if a photographer has a busy schedule, it still shouldn't take that long to get photos back. Even video should be done within a months time or so. My buddy does video and he even does same day edits for weddings so they can actually see the ceremony during their reception. Overall that is just bad business.

I'd ask for a discount if they really want the memories of their wedding.

My buddy does video and he even does same day edits for weddings so they can actually see the ceremony during their reception.

That's super fast, lol

3 question about your concert pics:

How far are you usually from the stage?

What are your preferred lenses for concerts?

How do you manage with the lighting, I'm assuming you aren't using a tripod?

That's super fast, lol

3 question about your concert pics:

How far are you usually from the stage?

What are your preferred lenses for concerts?

How do you manage with the lighting, I'm assuming you aren't using a tripod?

I was going to write a blog about this but just got damn lazy and seeing how I have counterparts better than me, it almost foolish to write about something that I am not necessarily a pro at. Here's my suggestions anyways.

1) It really depends on the venue. I am lucky enough to live in SF and there are so many concerts but only a few that allows DSLRs. The Rakim concert is literally a 5 minute walk from my apartment. But believe it or not, I actually go really out of my way to get these photos. For the past 5 concerts or so, I've actually been going solo cause it just works better if I don't have to deal with someone else with me. If doors open at say 10pm, I actually make sure to line up close to a hour before so I can get front row. Each concert is different though. I find the concerts geared towards a younger crowd (like Juicy J), people tend to just line up earlier where as for the older concerts heads, people will just go on time. So majority of the times when I am shooting, I am front row but for some in the past cause I timed it wrong, I'd be maybe 4-5 people back.

2) Since I am usually front row, my lens of choice is pretty much what I have which is a 24mm f/1.4 and the 50mm f/1.2. This is more of a preference and not a recommendation. I now a lot of photographers use zoom and flash and functionally, that works a lot easier than what I have since you don't really have to carry multiple lenses. I normally always wear a hoody and pocket the spare lens. It's a pain but I like to shoot wide open in natural light. One time I got to bring a bag in and shot with a 135mm along with my other two lenses. I found with all three, it gave a lot of range from wide to close shots but it's super inconvenient. Many people though use the 24-70mm rather than shooting primes and still have good results, if not better.

3) The light really all depends on the venue. With the Rakim one, it's a jazz club so they don't have crazy stage lighting. I usually just shoot super high ISO. I seem to always go well over ISO 1600 now and shoot at about f/1.4-2.0 but with the Mark 3, the ISO holds pretty well. By the end of it, shooting this way is really just a game of numbers. I tend to shoot a ton of shots in hopes in going home and just finding random clear shots to edit later. I did shoot half AI Servo but am not really sure if that helped or not seeing how I still had blurry shots. I do shoot manual too but that is a preference as well and not a recommendation. Aperture priority might be a better option but I don't like shooting in modes I am not necessarily comfortable with.

This guy breaks it down pretty well too: http://petapixel.com/2014/06/17/camera-settings-concert-photography/

This was taken with a Nikon 3200 with a fixed 50mm 1.8 lens. If somehow the exif data was taken away the photog said it was taken with one of the premium Full Frame DSLRS nobody would know the wiser.

In the firearm world we say most guns are more accurate than the shooter, well I think most cameras are more capable than their photog. We have a tendency to upgrade and move up before truly mastering what we have at the time. No shots fired, just saying.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

cameras are just tools (and as such, it is perfectly rational that one would get the best that could be afforded to them), a means to an ends...it is kind of irrelevant whether the camera is more capable than the photog; the question is really, are the images being taken worth taking? and i'm of the belief that only the person pressing the shutter can answer that question...

Last edited:
The significance, to me, in getting a camera that matches your capabilities is that if you have P&S skills with a D810 you spent a lot more money than need be because you have more settings than you know what to do with.

using the tool comparisson, it's like getting a heavy hammer when your arms aren't that strong, although you can lift it with two hands and drive that nail you still are using a tool that far out shoots what you should be using. yes you can learn and in time use this tool to its full potential but there's no guaruntee that you'll learn everything before you quit because your camera is too "confusing"

I disagree.

I think that there isn't anything wrong with grabbing an entry level camera if you have entry level skills. I'm a lifelong learner so if I'm truly interested in it, I'm going to learn the ins and outs of whatever it is.

To say that someone is essentially out of their league because they may purchase gear that may be a bit advanced could be discouraging to some. (not me, though. I don't give a **** if you feel that way towards me :lol:)

Last edited:
You guys in here always debating about ish! Can't we just enjoy photos?! 
laugh.gif

But seriously, enjoy what you have. Photography is art, and a way to express your creativity using the tool in front of you. It doesn't matter whether its a camera phone, point & shoot, crop or full frame DSLR. Photos that spark emotion can come from any source, and no, no one will care if its full frame or not, or whether you shot in Auto or Manual.

Give an artist a different set of paint brushes, it doesn't matter. He's still going to create with whats in front of him/her. What matters is the artist, not the medium.

You guys in here always debating about ish! Can't we just enjoy photos?! :lol:

But seriously, enjoy what you have. Photography is art, and a way to express your creativity using the tool in front of you. It doesn't matter whether its a camera phone, point & shoot, crop or full frame DSLR. Photos that spark emotion can come from any source, and no, no one will care if its full frame or not, or whether you shot in Auto or Manual.

Give an artist a different set of paint brushes, it doesn't matter. He's still going to create with whats in front of him/her. What matters is the artist, not the medium.
QFT.

The discussions really remind me of motorcycle/car debates. You always hear dudes talking about which cars have the most horsepower, quickest lap times, 0-60 times, etc. but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. You take what you have and you use it.

That being said I still do enjoy reading the camera debates/comparisons even if I am an amateur at best lol.

You guys in here always debating about ish! Can't we just enjoy photos?! :lol:

i know! especially since i have a penchant for writing stellar examples of too long didn't read posts, but i find the things people say in regards to photography to just as interesting, sometimes, as the photography itself...just can't help throwing a countervailing philosophical 2 cents in...

#backtothephotostho

Gonna post some of my tuesday night poetry shots tonight, hopefully the performers don't all keep their hands in their pockets all night

^ interesting take on that cityscape + bench.

My shot for the day; this shot is heavily  cropped in. I try to get it right in camera and actually went for a vertical shot on this one because the sun looked great. Didn't replicate on the photo and cropped in to use like 1/3 of the image. 

Back
Top Bottom