The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Any advice on a decent entry level cam that also has wifi capabilities like the Hero which can connect to a smart phone for a view finder?

Salvaging some crap photos with some funky editing. Hate going out and getting a bad number of good photos.

so are these the now part of "good" ones then? if so what now makes them good? if not what makes/made them bad (or in need of saving)? fongstarr's statement above piqued my curiosity a bit, but these question(s) open to all in relation to what you do & do not post, interested how others decide what is "good." how do you determine/differentiate/judge the "bad" ones? compositionally? subject matter? technically?

Last edited:
so are these the now part of "good" ones then? if so what now makes them good? if not what makes/made them bad (or in need of saving)? fongstarr's statement above peaked my curiosity a bit, but these question(s) open to all in relation to what you do & do not post, interested how others decide what is "good." how do you determine/differentiate/judge the "bad" ones? compositionally? subject matter? technically?

Well, I made that statement cause of a couple of things. One....I shot over 200 photos and came up with very little that were clear. I am not even talking about composition nor just that wow factor. Then after I filter through all the clear photos, I look at the ones that have a good look and I just felt some, if not all, did not have that in my photo set. So the ones I photoshopped were clear but just not what I was looking for as far as getting a great concert photo.

This is the raw photo of the one I felt was the best. You can see from the photo that I really didn't get a good photo aside from it being just clear. I guess that is where I feel like I have decent PS skills but I hate knowing I have to alter so much to make a photo into something when it wasn't originally. I guess that is where my statement came from.

a0fig.jpg
hort-4a.png

Quite possibly the majority of finished products, need some post-processing. I'm so used to running my photos through lightroom to get the exact "look" I want. Concerts arent easy to begin with.

so are these the now part of "good" ones then? if so what now makes them good? if not what makes/made them bad (or in need of saving)? fongstarr's statement above peaked my curiosity a bit, but these question(s) open to all in relation to what you do & do not post, interested how others decide what is "good." how do you determine/differentiate/judge the "bad" ones? compositionally? subject matter? technically?

Well, I made that statement cause of a couple of things. One....I shot over 200 photos and came up with very little that were clear. I am not even talking about composition nor just that wow factor. Then after I filter through all the clear photos, I look at the ones that have a good look and I just felt some, if not all, did not have that in my photo set. So the ones I photoshopped were clear but just not what I was looking for as far as getting a great concert photo.

This is the raw photo of the one I felt was the best. You can see from the photo that I really didn't get a good photo aside from it being just clear. I guess that is where I feel like I have decent PS skills but I hate knowing I have to alter so much to make a photo into something when it wasn't originally. I guess that is where my statement came from.

ok i feel you, seeing the unedited pic it doesn't feel like you fundamentally changed or made the photo into something that it was not but i can see if you were going for a certain type of image & didn't quite get what you wanted; might be frustrating...editing to enhance or downplay things is just a part of the process; a good edit can definitely make a photo though...

Quite possibly the majority of finished products, need some post-processing. I'm so used to running my photos through lightroom to get the exact "look" I want. Concerts arent easy to begin with.

i tend to think this is true as well...it may be less true depending on how much control/knowledge/setup of lighting you have...

I want to start a youtube channel but want to ask what you guys would like to see. I don't know if I should focus on behind the scenes videos or more of my post processing techniques. I am also gonna make actions and presets that users can download totally free from my website. I just wanted some input on what you guys search for on Youtube. Thoughts?

I want to start a youtube channel but want to ask what you guys would like to see. I don't know if I should focus on behind the scenes videos or more of my post processing techniques. I am also gonna make actions and presets that users can download totally free from my website. I just wanted some input on what you guys search for on Youtube. Thoughts?
I'd suggest starting with things that you excel at.

Recently I've been searching for post processing videos for starry night edits and Lightroom touch up tutorials

Not quite sure if this belongs in here but you guys are always pretty helpful and responsive.

Anyone know of any GoPro deals for Cyber Monday? I'm trying to help a friend find one. Might pick one up myself if the price is right lol

Is the GoPro  HERO3+ Silver Edition Camera a simple camera that offers alot when it comes to recording videos and taking pictures? Anyone personally have one or used it?

Or any recommendations? 

trying to record videos unboxing or make up tutorials. P and S

Is the GoPro
 HERO3+ Silver Edition Camera a simple camera that offers alot when it comes to recording videos and taking pictures? Anyone personally have one or used it?
I've used the GoPro3 + before it's simple but will likely require a few accessories. Casings, mounts, and such. Takes Farley good pics but unless you buy the LCD screen attachment you'd need to use the app for live view. The app's live view doesn't work during video recording though.

Fun thing is using the 30 frame per second Stills. Crazy fast.

All in all its very simple but you will likely need accessories

Thanks @iamDEF

Looking into a Nikon D3100 right now... Roughly about 300 + some shipping.. 

Anything around that price that's better? Even if i have to drop a lil more  

Copped the nikon 5200 for 430 single lens shud be here this week and lr5 came with it. Cant wait for my first dlsr and to contribute

Any advice on a decent entry level cam that also has wifi capabilities like the Hero which can connect to a smart phone for a view finder?

What's your price range?

The only two I know for certain off the top of my head are the Canon 6d and the 70d

But I think the Nikon D5300 does it also

If it's your first camera, the D5300 and the 70D are probably better to start with at a lower cost, but tbh it depends of your budget.

Seeing as how Canon introduced it first on their full frame, then on their midlevel DSLR this year, it'll probably be on the next Rebel series camera next year. T6i or something which will be in the D5300 price range.

If you need the wireless viewfinder, I say go with the 70D because it has the best focusing out of all 3 cameras, but if you really just want wireless image transferring the most, you could save money and just cop a T3i and an Eyefi card or Toshibas wireless SD card. It'll save you a ton of money

Okay last question and then I will be gone...

Canon T5 DSLR Camera + 18-55mm Lens + 75-300mm Lens + Pro-100 Printer for $350 
or

Nikon D3100 14.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR DX Lens & 55-200mm NIKKOR DX Lens (refurb) for 380

Which should I buy for whatever purposes? I'm gonna use it for recording videos and taking pictures, most likely indoors. 

Back
Top Bottom