The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Shoot some friends first and build a portfolio that way so you have something to show. I'm sure you have some friends that eat up social media and would love for some crisp images for their account. Put out a casting call on model mayhem and see who bites.

I only been here for a little over a year I don't get out much so I don't mess with too many people here just a few

Does anyone here shoot people from model mayhem?

I've worked with a couple and have a couple more coming up this month. The shoots that I've done went well, but in general the site is a crapshoot.

A lot of the "models" on there have awful portfolios (bathroom mirror selfies type ****) and will want you to pay. I've had one no show and a couple of last minute flakes too.

If you're willing to sift through the BS you can get some good experience though

To be honest it can go whichever way you want to take it. It says your from ATL so there are going to be tons of models that want to work on their portfolio etc. It is good to network and meet people. I moved to Miami from Baltimore a year ago and I've found model mayhem to be a little difficult in regards to finding serious models because of the photography scene here. You have so many good photographers and so many beautiful women. However, the models find themselves wanting to jump in to early. What I mean by that is I've plenty portfolios made up of cell phone selfies and once you message that model you receive a reply back saying "oh here are my rates"... I understand the hustle but if I'm shooting with upwards of 6k in equipment and your portfolio screams lower than an iphone 6 then who should be sending who rates?
Cosign all of this

Last edited:
I only been here for a little over a year I don't get out much so I don't mess with too many people here just a few

Understood. All it takes is one model to get you going. You can even get it going by linking up with another photographer in the area. I know L locobaby is in ATL. I'm sure he can put you onto some people or some groups. Check out meetup.com and see if there is any group that gets together to shoot models etc. In Baltimore there is a spot called the Graffiti Warehouse that held a meet and greet every first Saturday of the month. It cost $20 but you can stay all day and shoot as many models as you like.

I've worked with a couple and have a couple more coming up this month. The shoots that I've done went well, but in general the site is a crapshoot.

A lot of the "models" on there have awful portfolios (bathroom mirror selfies type ****) and will want you to pay. I've had one no show and a couple of last minute flakes too.

If you're willing to sift through the BS you can get some good experience though
Cosign all of this

I've had a good amount of no shows. At first it really bothered me, but now I take it for what it is and keep pushing forward. I'm nowhere close to what I think I can be as a photographer but I know I'm better than alot of the photographers some of these models continuously shoot with. If you keep to the plan your day will come.

Anyone need a camera bag by Nikon...Hit me up

Understood. All it takes is one model to get you going. You can even get it going by linking up with another photographer in the area. I know L locobaby is in ATL. I'm sure he can put you onto some people or some groups. Check out meetup.com and see if there is any group that gets together to shoot models etc. In Baltimore there is a spot called the Graffiti Warehouse that held a meet and greet every first Saturday of the month. It cost $20 but you can stay all day and shoot as many models as you like.
I've had a good amount of no shows. At first it really bothered me, but now I take it for what it is and keep pushing forward. I'm nowhere close to what I think I can be as a photographer but I know I'm better than alot of the photographers some of these models continuously shoot with. If you keep to the plan your day will come.

I'm actually traveling right now but I will back in Atlanta next week. I have worked with models from MM but I am very selective. I now gear more towards agency models since my schedule is so tight I can't waste time with an IG model that will do nothing with the images we produce. The last model I worked with used my images at New York and Milan fashion week. I think my ultimate goal as a photographer is to be able to teach, not in a classroom setting but hands-on with an ambitious photographer. Anyways, recent pics from today.

Last edited:
I am finally starting to get the hang of working my cameras manually. On another note earned a little more on the paycheck after doing some OT, so I made the plunge and splurged on another lens (purchased the 40mm pancake, seeing that there was a $50 price drop on it)

As far as lenses go, this is where I am at the moment

24mm pancake
40mm pancake
50mm f/1.8
18-55 kit lens
55-250 zoom

I think I am doing ok for someone who just purchased two bodies on the cheap 2 months ago (T5 & SL1)

I plan on purchasing another body next month, still undecided between the 60D, 70D, or 7D (I don't care for bells and whistles, just image quality especially in low-light)

Cosign all of this

A friend of mine is putting together a lifestyle website/youtube show in the next few months. I've been told there will be many shoots with models. I don't have much experience shooting portraits, however I have been complimented on my eye, attention to detail and ability to communicate/direct others. Not gonna lie, its a bit nerve racking. I figured a good topic would be if anyone would care to share their first experiences shooting a "model" ?

bjamez20 bjamez20 khankussionz khankussionz thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it

And L locobaby def gotta get up with you since you live here

I plan on getting a lens today but what do y'all think will be better for portraits and street photography.
The 35mm vs 50mm

Last edited:
Either or. The 59 was my favorite on the crop sensor. I sold my 35mm but part of the reason was that I knew I was going full frame. The 50 is full the 35 is not

bjamez20 bjamez20 khankussionz khankussionz thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it

And L locobaby def gotta get up with you since you live here

I plan on getting a lens today but what do y'all think will be better for portraits and street photography.
The 35mm vs 50mm

I feel like those are two very different types of photography. Since you're shooting on a crop sensor that 35 will be like a "nifty fifty" which I believe is a great street lens.

I don't shoot portraits but I believe the general consensus is that you want to get a longer focal length for those. So the 50 would probably perform better than the 35 for portraiture. I hear 85 is a good sweet spot for portraits on crop sensors. The 35 will produce a bit of unflattering distortion.

Ultimately it's up to you. Only you know what you intend on shooting but even then that might change when you try new things.

I can personally vouch for the versatility of the 35 paired with the D3200; it's on my camera for the majority of the time. But then again I don't shoot portraits at all. Also, as previously mentioned the 35 is a lens made for DX; if you see yourself upgrading to FX definitely go for the 50. Personally I feel that it'll be YEARS before I jump to FX if I do at all, which is why I went with the 35.

Thinking about letting go of my 50 f/1.4 for the 35L. It would be my walkaround lens on a 6D. Originally I wanted the 24L, but the price is a bit higher. Opinions?

I was a bit of in the same situation. Part of me regrets getting the 35L tbh. Its still a great lens, but the 24L II is sharper and wider(obviously). You could find a used copy of the 24L. There's also the new 24 ART if you really want a 24mm prime at a cheaper price. I dont plan on selling the 35 soon, so I am picking up the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm since I need something wider at times.

Last edited:
Does anyone micro adjust every time they get a new lens? Or is it only necessary when you feel pics aren't sharp enough or the focus doesn't lock on to the exact point(s)? This subject is new to me.

I was a bit of in the same situation. Part of me regrets getting the 35L tbh. Its still a great lens, but the 24L II is sharper and wider(obviously). You could find a used copy of the 24L. There's also the new 24 ART if you really want a 24mm prime at a cheaper price. I dont plan on selling the 35 soon, so I am picking up the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm since I need something wider at times.

What made you regret getting the 35L? From what I've read, the 35L is sharper than the first gen 24L.

The 35L is one of the only L lenses I have yet to really shoot with. I will say the 35L is more of a street lens where you are shooting portraits. The 24L sort of has the ability to do both but I find the bokeh on portraits is just not as prevalent since you have to shoot closer to get a proper bokeh. But I use my 24L almost 80% of my shots and it's well verse in both things but if I could have it my way to do it all over again, I'd get a 16-35mm for wide and the 35mm for the mid and the 85mm for narrow.

benzilla427 benzilla427 I think ima roll with the 35mm street photography is what I want to start of with, then eventually move to other fields.
I'm a detail freak but man those lenses...

Why are macro lenses so expensive?

I feel like those are two very different types of photography. Since you're shooting on a crop sensor that 35 will be like a "nifty fifty" which I believe is a great street lens.

I don't shoot portraits but I believe the general consensus is that you want to get a longer focal length for those. So the 50 would probably perform better than the 35 for portraiture. I hear 85 is a good sweet spot for portraits on crop sensors. The 35 will produce a bit of unflattering distortion.

Ultimately it's up to you. Only you know what you intend on shooting but even then that might change when you try new things.

I can personally vouch for the versatility of the 35 paired with the D3200; it's on my camera for the majority of the time. But then again I don't shoot portraits at all. Also, as previously mentioned the 35 is a lens made for DX; if you see yourself upgrading to FX definitely go for the 50. Personally I feel that it'll be YEARS before I jump to FX if I do at all, which is why I went with the 35.

This is truth. I shoot portraits and was one of the reasons that i did not really like the 35. I didnt use the 50 much because I felt like the 85 was so much better on the crop. It is funny because I actually dont mind the 85 on the full frame.

I shoot portraits with an 85mm on a full frame sensor for headshots, beauty, or anything close-up and take mid to full body portraits with the 50 1.4. Every know and then if I am shooting and in the moment I will get close with the 50 and use it. One click in LR helps adjust any distortion. Below is a sample image I shot with the 50 1.4.

What made you regret getting the 35L? From what I've read, the 35L is sharper than the first gen 24L.
The main thing is sharpness. Though im not sure how it squares up to the 24L I. Don't get me wrong, it's still a sharp lens, but not as sharp when compared to the 35 ART (cheaper) and 24L II. Granted those two are newer. I do have more peace of mind knowing I got a more reliable AF in the L compared to the ART. The mixed reviews for the ART AF are what turned me off. I'm still happy with the 35L,the colors that come SOOC are great. If you can, stop by a local photography store and play with the 35L. Hope this helps.

They also, just lowered the price on the 35L. A bit salty about that. Could have saved a couple hundred.

Not sure if it's common knowledge. But before buying any lens,check out sample photos. I usually frequent the Lens Sample Photo Archive on POTN just to see what others produce on certain lenses. It also sucks because now I want a 85L and 135L haha.

Back
Top Bottom