The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

How do you guys know when it's time to upgrade your equipment?

I'm really considering upgrading my t4i to a 6D. I really want to invest either in a new body or some new glass. I'm thinking about the 70-200 F4L IS. I'm not yet brave enough to pull the trigger on the body, and I'm trying to wait it out as long as I can.

I'm really considering upgrading my t4i to a 6D. I really want to invest either in a new body or some new glass. I'm thinking about the 70-200 F4L IS. I'm not yet brave enough to pull the trigger on the body, and I'm trying to wait it out as long as I can.

I upgraded from a T3I to a 5D Mark II because of other images I saw on the web and because I wanted to shoot full frame. At the time I only had a kit lens and a 50 1.8. I got the 5DM2 with the 24-105L and was stunned by the difference. I made the leap because I was at a fashion shoot with a fellow shooter and he let me use his 5DM2 to take a few pics, he sent me the RAW images from the shoot and I was sold. I got rid of a couple of sneakers to invest in my camera setup. I would suggest renting or borrowing a 6D to see if you ready to upgrade.

I upgraded from a T3I to a 5D Mark II because of other images I saw on the web and because I wanted to shoot full frame. At the time I only had a kit lens and a 50 1.8. I got the 5DM2 with the 24-105L and was stunned by the difference. I made the leap because I was at a fashion shoot with a fellow shooter and he let me use his 5DM2 to take a few pics, he sent me the RAW images from the shoot and I was sold. I got rid of a couple of sneakers to invest in my camera setup. I would suggest renting or borrowing a 6D to see if you ready to upgrade.

Yeah, I like a lot of the photos done with the 6D that I've seen, but 140 for a one day/weekend rental... :rolleyes. Don't see that happening, unless I'm going on a trip to somewhere spectacular. I'm still a student, so I'm trying to kind of budget my money. I did use a friend's T5, and compared to my T4i, her viewfinder looked so much brighter, clearer, and sharper. I could actually tell when I was in focus. I feel like my T4i viewfinder is defective, becuase it's not nearly as clear as her T5, and mine is supposed to be a better camera. It was a world of difference looking through that viewfinder, and I definitely felt more confident shooting with it. I'm looking to upgrade with the expectation that the viewfinder will be better than my current camera.

My T4i viewfinder isn't terrible, but I prefer to get in focus using the LCD & take a couple shots then start looking through the viewfinder because I can't always trust that my viewfinder will give me anything that I'm looking for.

Edit: I probably will sell a few of my DS/VNDS kicks, I don't see myself wearing them often/ever. I'm outgrowing the shoe game anyways.:rolleyes

Last edited:

I love this question!

What do you shoot?
How do you shoot it?
What glass do you have? Is it full frame compatible or crop sensor? If you get the 6D, will you be getting the kit?
Why do you want to jump to full frame?

When I decided to make the jump, I had already invested in some glass.I wanted a full frame for the low light capability and high sync flash speed as well as the look a full frame achieves.

There is definitely a difference from once sensor to the other. I went from a Nikon D90 to a Mark 2 with just a 50mm prime and pics in the Mark 2 just seemed to look better whether it be because of the sensor, pixels, etc. Mind you my D90 was only a 12mp camera but the Mark 2 just seemed to have a smoother look, especially with long exposures. The D90 seemed to have a more stressed look especially when I shot with a high ISO. Some edits were just not kind with that camera. Plus the bokeh was only so good as well.

But if you are not shooting long exposures or low light things, the T4i can surely handle everything else. I find portraits are find with crop sensors. Even with the crop factor, some lenses can be used as a long telephoto which is nice. But I've said this before, with full frames being more inexpensive, I don't see why people won't just get a full from from the start. I thought I saw that 6Ds for the body was under a grand. I wouldn't even think twice to get that over a Rebel any day.

I love this question!

What do you shoot?
How do you shoot it?
What glass do you have? Is it full frame compatible or crop sensor? If you get the 6D, will you be getting the kit?
Why do you want to jump to full frame?

When I decided to make the jump, I had already invested in some glass.I wanted a full frame for the low light capability and high sync flash speed as well as the look a full frame achieves.

Mostly people. I love portraiture, so I don't think the weak AF system will be too bothersome in a home/studio setup. I like close up shots, I haven't really done many full body shoots. If I'm out of town then I'll do some landscape/nature shots. I haven't done much landscaping, but for all that I have done, I've used a tripod. I use a tripod for portraits sometimes, not always.

As far as glass, I have my 18-135 STM Kit lens and 50mm f1.4. I never use my kit lens though. All the lenses that I've contemplated purchasing are full frame compatible, the 70-200 f4L IS is at the top of my list, followed by a 24-70 to get a nice range. If I do get the 6D I don't think I'd grab the kit unless I found it at a great price.

I plan to go FF sooner or later. The only other camera that I've thought about was the 70D, but I think for just a bit more $$ I'd appreciate the better IQ and better ISO performance.

There is definitely a difference from once sensor to the other. I went from a Nikon D90 to a Mark 2 with just a 50mm prime and pics in the Mark 2 just seemed to look better whether it be because of the sensor, pixels, etc. Mind you my D90 was only a 12mp camera but the Mark 2 just seemed to have a smoother look, especially with long exposures. The D90 seemed to have a more stressed look especially when I shot with a high ISO. Some edits were just not kind with that camera. Plus the bokeh was only so good as well.

But if you are not shooting long exposures or low light things, the T4i can surely handle everything else. I find portraits are find with crop sensors. Even with the crop factor, some lenses can be used as a long telephoto which is nice. But I've said this before, with full frames being more inexpensive, I don't see why people won't just get a full from from the start. I thought I saw that 6Ds for the body was under a grand. I wouldn't even think twice to get that over a Rebel any day.

Yeah it was around a thousand, I recall. After exchange rates it'd be about 1300+ any shipping, customs/taxes since I'm north of the border.

Yeah, I like a lot of the photos done with the 6D that I've seen, but 140 for a one day/weekend rental... :rolleyes. Don't see that happening, unless I'm going on a trip to somewhere spectacular. I'm still a student, so I'm trying to kind of budget my money. I did use a friend's T5, and compared to my T4i, her viewfinder looked so much brighter, clearer, and sharper. I could actually tell when I was in focus. I feel like my T4i viewfinder is defective, becuase it's not nearly as clear as her T5, and mine is supposed to be a better camera. It was a world of difference looking through that viewfinder, and I definitely felt more confident shooting with it. I'm looking to upgrade with the expectation that the viewfinder will be better than my current camera.

My T4i viewfinder isn't terrible, but I prefer to get in focus using the LCD & take a couple shots then start looking through the viewfinder because I can't always trust that my viewfinder will give me anything that I'm looking for.

Edit: I probably will sell a few of my DS/VNDS kicks, I don't see myself wearing them often/ever. I'm outgrowing the shoe game anyways.:rolleyes

for the viewfinder issue it may help you to check your viewfinder diopter/settings...i once inadvertently changed this without knowing and it took me a minute to figure out why my viewfinder was so blurry!

went out to the st patty's day parade over the weekend, got to use some recently acquired lenses, lots of pics, cool peoples, super fun #goodtimes...

Untitled by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

brewed up by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

st patrick's 2015 parade by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

randoms:

repetitions by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

respect the artistry by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Is it the lenses you guys are using that is creating those deep colors or the post work you do? My pics lack that.

for the viewfinder issue it may help you to check your viewfinder diopter/settings...i once inadvertently changed this without knowing and it took me a minute to figure out why my viewfinder was so blurry!

I've tried the diopter a bunch of times, I don't think that's it. My viewfinder is accurate, but not precise like on my friend's T5. When I blow up my photos it's usually focused somewhere behind or in front of the eyes. Because of this I end up taking a more photos than I would want to, and there would be a lot that I want to delete just because the focus is too off

Is it the lenses you guys are using that is creating those deep colors or the post work you do? My pics lack that.

For the most part post but you can bump your saturation higher to get a more colorful look. I would shoot on moderate and just do it all in post though.

some lenses do in fact give some of those qualities to images, like zeiss lenses are known for their contrasty punchy colors & sharpness...though if you shoot in raw format, you get MUCH more latitude to push almost all the values of an image with post processing...but most cameras have picture modes/settings that will give some of these different looks in camera

I've tried the diopter a bunch of times, I don't think that's it. My viewfinder is accurate, but not precise like on my friend's T5. When I blow up my photos it's usually focused somewhere behind or in front of the eyes. Because of this I end up taking a more photos than I would want to, and there would be a lot that I want to delete just because the focus is too off

sounds like a focusing issue? do you manual focus? what af mode do you mostly use: center, multi, or (flexible) spot?

Coming from someone who went from a 50D>70D>6D you will definitely see the difference. I'm a fan of searching for open boxes to get a better deal. I sold my 70D and picked up a 6D with 24-105L for 1800 about 6 months ago. I'm addicted to good deals.

Last edited:
Coming from someone who went from a 50D>70D>6D you will definitely see the difference. I'm a fan of searching for open boxes to get a better deal. I sold my 70D and picked up a 6D with 24-105L for 1800 about 6 months ago. I'm addicted to good deals.

me too, i went on direct path tho, from 50d>6d, and the difference is huge,

damnnn 1800? thats a steal fam :x

Appreciate the tips fam. With the weather getting better here in the Chi I'll hopefully be able to get out and shoot a lot more for practice.

I went from a Rebel XS (1000D) to a 6D. Mind blown.

Thinking of picking up a Fujifilm instax or Polaroid 300 for fun. Don't want to break the bank venturing into film. Thoughts, experiences?

I went from a Rebel XS (1000D) to a 6D. Mind blown.

Thinking of picking up a Fujifilm instax or Polaroid 300 for fun. Don't want to break the bank venturing into film. Thoughts, experiences?
I picked up a Polaroid spectra on eBay for $14 shipped and instant film from the impossible project for like $24. Pretty reasonable cost of entry, although at $3 a shot you definitely think your photos out a little more. I'd love a Fuji instax, maybe further down the line...

Back
Top Bottom