The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I travel a lot - I'm a bit weird when it comes to photography - I can be perfectly fine and not do anything for a year then I come in here and boom I have to take the next flight to a place where I can take some pictures ...

I also have family in all the northeast ... I thought you wanted to link up or something ....

I'm from Boston but live between Miami and Fort Lauderdale now. If you're ever down this way of course we can link up.

Forgot to charge both my DSLR batteries :smh: so phone pics from my motorcycle ride today

Weekend randoms. Drove up to Rochester (upstate NY) to help a friend shoot a wedding for her friend. She did all the primary shooting, I was just backing up. Had some time to go to Lake Ontario, but since we were pressed for time I didnt get to do much recreational shooting. My niece is thinking of purchasing an entry level DSLR, so I let her take a portrait of me LOL.

#random #weekend by Michael Rios, on Flickr

MY MUGSHOT LOL

anyone have any idea of why a lot of the Milkey way images have a person with a light beaming towards it?

^^Diggin the first shot.....side note you got a TON of shoes from what I can see lol

Still need to get the pinks out from this one.

ADV1 by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Thanks bro.....actually I don't have as many kicks.....at tops maybe 60-70 pairs lol. A lot of people really loved the first shot too, so I appreciate the compliment. I was kind of disappointed in Lake Ontario. Much of the beach area around Rochester is private property, nothing to really explore plus we were pressed for time. Just driving around the area saw quite a few places that would have been great for street shooting....but ehhh maybe next time.

Hoping to get out of the city a bit this fall for some camping trips and other autumn activities. Really want to try my hand and long exposure astrophotography, but there isnt anywhere here in NYC where the sky is clear enough.

anyone have any idea of why a lot of the Milkey way images have a person with a light beaming towards it?

scale? also having a person probably creates a point of interest, guiding the viewer(s) on where to look...plus generally though i think many people appreciate landscape photography (which i tend to think astrophotography can be generally considered something of a subset) most people see landscape images without people as kind of boring, but adding a person allows people to create a narrative/story about an image in more relatable way than a landscape without one?

....side note you got a TON of shoes from what I can see lol/quote]

actually I don't have as many kicks.....at tops maybe 60-70 pairs lol.

Hoping to get out of the city a bit this fall for some camping trips and other autumn activities. Really want to try my hand and long exposure astrophotography, but there isnt anywhere here in NYC where the sky is clear enough.

60-70 of most anything qualifies as lot!

definitely easier when you get out of the city for astrophotography, though there are some things you can do even in heavy light pollution:

Last edited:
scale? also having a person probably creates a point of interest, guiding the viewer(s) on where to look...plus generally though i think many people appreciate landscape photography (which i tend to think astrophotography can be generally considered something of a subset) most people see landscape images without people as kind of boring, but adding a person allows people to create a narrative/story about an image in more relatable way than a landscape without one?
60-70 of most anything qualities as lot!

definitely easier when you get out of the city for astrophotography, though there are some things you can do even in heavy light pollution:

Appreciate all of the astro knowledge you've shared. I plan on putting it to good use this fall. On another note, years ago in my 20s, I was a heavy heavy Jordan collector (I may eventually share old pics of the 175+ collection I had before I sold it all)......Reasons I dumped it all.....quality decline....ive moved a few times and its a hassle to move that many shoes....the great thing was that I was able to pay off student loans and dental bills in full LOL

Back to photography.....the small chump change I earned as the 2nd shooter on the wedding job went real quick (Reupped on more memory cards, and finally purchased an external drive)

^^Diggin the first shot.....side note you got a TON of shoes from what I can see lol

Still need to get the pinks out from this one.

Thanks bro.....actually I don't have as many kicks.....at tops maybe 60-70 pairs lol. A lot of people really loved the first shot too, so I appreciate the compliment. I was kind of disappointed in Lake Ontario. Much of the beach area around Rochester is private property, nothing to really explore plus we were pressed for time. Just driving around the area saw quite a few places that would have been great for street shooting....but ehhh maybe next time.

That's a lot of pairs imo lol. NYC can be tough since there's not a lot of spots out there that aren't lit but maybe venture out into the country side once. If you can get yourself on a rooftop and get some shots of the skyline then that would be dope also.

^^^I am here. Normally I have like a photo a week but didn't really get anything good this weekend. I realized something. I went hiking with a person that doesn't do photography. It can totally dampen your photo experience which is why I doubt I'll ever do it again. I guess I am on the slow side with shooting nowadays.

And do this day, I have never gotten a good galaxy shot (or whatever it is called) in my life. I've tried multiple times and just don't get what I am doing wrong to get the images that people get. The one time I was at Yosemite, the moon was out and I had no idea you have to go and shoot these things when the moon is literally gone. Just never factored that all in.

And one more note, anyone feel like there are some serious trends in photography that sort of not make you want to do things now? Yes there are those trendy things like smoke bombs, steel wool, heli shots etc but I am more or less talking about trendy areas that I see almost every photographer going now. Arizona has to be one of the most exploited places now to the point where I never want to go there. Literally in the last couple of years, I feel like tons of people are going there and getting all the same stuff. Slowly following is Yosemite and other such places like that. It's like a small gripe I have but I understand it as well. It's just interesting how everyone is going there now more so than before. It's like I have to find that new spot now.

I realized something. I went hiking with a person that doesn't do photography. It can totally dampen your photo experience which is why I doubt I'll ever do it again. I guess I am on the slow side with shooting nowadays.

What do you mean? You'll never go hiking with a non-photographer again?

haha i actually took a couple of shots like this with my buddy when we were at that rock beach in Tahoe last week just for an experiment.

all of mine have too much noise to use, if i try to reduce the noise it just removes a bunch of stars and make the sky/milkyway look bad.

^^^I am here. Normally I have like a photo a week but didn't really get anything good this weekend. I realized something. I went hiking with a person that doesn't do photography. It can totally dampen your photo experience which is why I doubt I'll ever do it again. I guess I am on the slow side with shooting nowadays.

And do this day, I have never gotten a good galaxy shot (or whatever it is called) in my life. I've tried multiple times and just don't get what I am doing wrong to get the images that people get. The one time I was at Yosemite, the moon was out and I had no idea you have to go and shoot these things when the moon is literally gone. Just never factored that all in.

And one more note, anyone feel like there are some serious trends in photography that sort of not make you want to do things now? Yes there are those trendy things like smoke bombs, steel wool, heli shots etc but I am more or less talking about trendy areas that I see almost every photographer going now. Arizona has to be one of the most exploited places now to the point where I never want to go there. Literally in the last couple of years, I feel like tons of people are going there and getting all the same stuff. Slowly following is Yosemite and other such places like that. It's like a small gripe I have but I understand it as well. It's just interesting how everyone is going there now more so than before. It's like I have to find that new spot now.
Is all about what they see on the gram my dude - if like how can i get that many followers ... LMAO

so they go to the places that been frequently visited and try to duplicate the same ****. the same with the girl that is holding the guys hand while taking the picture ... the idiots that are sitting over the rooftop to shoot their kicks etc ... with DSLRs being pushed so much and the gram, people just want the next gimmick .. thats why I also asked about the picture with the head lantern looking up towards the skies ... is like wtf is that about, does it serve a purpose ....

haha i actually took a couple of shots like this with my buddy when we were at that rock beach in Tahoe last week just for an experiment.

all of mine have too much noise to use, if i try to reduce the noise it just removes a bunch of stars and make the sky/milkyway look bad.
srs, is there a reason for it?

in all seriousness... im in my 30s now and even in my youth there is no way in hell i would trespass onto some property to dangle from a building to get likes on my ig. those same people will be liking the pics other posted of you on the sidewalk looking like a pretzel after you've gone splat.

Speaking of trespassing etc... does anybody have limited liability insurance and get permits for shooting?

That's a lot of pairs imo lol. NYC can be tough since there's not a lot of spots out there that aren't lit but maybe venture out into the country side once. If you can get yourself on a rooftop and get some shots of the skyline then that would be dope also.

Ive been meaning to hit the observatories (Chrysler, ESB, & WTC).....I just never get around to it. As for the trespassing, and dangling over rooftops......those people dumb enough to keep doing that stuff.....by all means....its either your life or legal troubles. I seem them cracking down on it here in NYC.

I do plan on doing a camping trip eventually. On the way up to Rochester for the wedding I helped shoot this past weekend.......a lot of small towns, with clear dark skies.....places that would have been easy to catch good astro shots. Just wished I had the time to do so.

What do you mean? You'll never go hiking with a non-photographer again?

Not with this girl anyways. This is sort of my modo with hiking but I go with the notion of getting at least one photo. It's hard not to unless someone doesn't want you to setup a tripod all the time. I mean I get it but I don't like trotting 5 miles roundtrip lugging all my camera gear to not get anything.

Is all about what they see on the gram my dude - if like how can i get that many followers ... LMAO

so they go to the places that been frequently visited and try to duplicate the same ****. the same with the girl that is holding the guys hand while taking the picture ... the idiots that are sitting over the rooftop to shoot their kicks etc ... with DSLRs being pushed so much and the gram, people just want the next gimmick .. thats why I also asked about the picture with the head lantern looking up towards the skies ... is like wtf is that about, does it serve a purpose ....

I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't go to places that were photo trendy. That was why I went to Iceland but not seeing the celestial lights sort of a "I have to go back" feeling in me. But so many people have gone there afterwards and now I feel like I missed that window to show off that place in my own way. I mean to a degree, we all want to shoot photos that people like. I don't do it for followers but it comes with the territory on some photos I shoot. What's funny is my favorite photo this year has nothing to do with any nature stuff or IG influenced things at all. It's just a skate photo where one of the skaters I liked landed a trick and I was able to catch it at the right moment. No one gave a crap about that one. Haha. All good.

in all seriousness... im in my 30s now and even in my youth there is no way in hell i would trespass onto some property to dangle from a building to get likes on my ig. those same people will be liking the pics other posted of you on the sidewalk looking like a pretzel after you've gone splat.

Speaking of trespassing etc... does anybody have limited liability insurance and get permits for shooting?

Honestly if this IG stuff was big about 8 years ago, I'd be more down to do that stuff. I am way too old for that now. I admire the stuff to a degree but I also feel like people need to move on to the next cool thing. Even the times when I did the whole dangle of the feet off something not even high, I felt so dumb. I never even bothered editing the photo.

i think it is hard to chill with people if you are out to get photos...especially if the images require setup, sometimes it helps to include the person, other times the person would rather not be involved at all in which case i just go about my business trying to get shots while maintaining the convo...you just have to figure out what level of involvement the person/people you are with are cool with

astrophotography is difficult even for those who know what they are doing, conditions have to be right, you have to expose a certain way, and post processing seems to be pretty important as well (so shooting raw, helps a bunch) as well as a bit of trial & error...

of course there are trends, don't let what others are doing effect what you want to do; you may end up missing out on some awesome experience (i.e. not seeing the northern lights) on some small thing, life is too short for that...

you'd probably be better off stacking/photoshoppin' multiple exposures in that case!

srs, is there a reason for it?

if you are out getting astro shots, you're going to be in the in the complete dark, so a headlamp is a helpful tool to have, so i could see how it could have started as something some landscape photographer tried and just thought looked cool and it became a trend...but as stated above i really think it started as a scale/story thing, you put a person in a landscape shot it almost automatically makes the image more interesting...then as with everything people start to copy & it loses its original intent...most don't come to anything having a clue of what to do, we all start off somewhere, regardless of the field, usually copying those that inspire us and eventually creating our own vision(s)...i do wish the younger folk would not be so 'do for the gram' reckless at times but that comes with age/experience

even though it isn't something i could see myself doing, rooftopping and/or trespassing and getting shots was its own niche thing that has kind of become somewhat mainstream but i don't really see much of a difference with this and graffiti writers; people would go through all type of wild stuff to find spots...

Not with this girl anyways. This is sort of my modo with hiking but I go with the notion of getting at least one photo. It's hard not to unless someone doesn't want you to setup a tripod all the time. I mean I get it but I don't like trotting 5 miles roundtrip lugging all my camera gear to not get anything.

I hear you on this. My girl is not into photography at all and I always feel like I'm being a burden when I bring my camera along when we do something because I can tell it annoys her at times. Like we will be hiking or walking along the beach or something and I get an idea and I'll be setting my gear up to get a shot I want, she just keeps on walking not stopping to wait for me and before you know it she is a mile away :lol:

Kinda gets me heated though sometimes >:

Last edited:
^^^Damn, my girl would never do that to me but more so cause she knows better. If I take out my camera, she needs to post for a bit. It's to my friends that have no idea what it takes to get a photo sometimes. They see what I shoot but think you just take out your camera and boom.....done. I will say I would never do that to my boys though. That is too much waiting for something they just don't get. Haha.

Back to camera stuff. New image of the new 35mm L just leaked. Can't even tell if it's going to be that much better than the old one.

canonef3514ii-728x371.jpg

pecifications: (Google Translated)
Lens construction: 11 group 14 elements
Non-aspherical lens 2 elements
UD Lens
BR Lens
SWC Coating
Fluorine Coating
9 Aperture Blades
Minimum focusing distance of 0.28m
Maximum magnification is 0.21X
Dust & weather sealed
Filter Diameter: 72 mm
Total Length: 105.5mm
Maximum Diameter: 80.4mm
Weight: 760 g
Hood: EW-77B

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com#ixzz3jqPlLmVN

I hear you on this. My girl is not into photography at all and I always feel like I'm being a burden when I bring my camera along when we do something because I can tell it annoys her at times. Like we will be hiking or walking along the beach or something and I get an idea and I'll be setting my gear up to get a shot I want, she just keeps on walking not stopping to wait for me and before you know it she is a mile away :lol:

Kinda gets me heated though sometimes >:

My lady recently started wanting to go out with me when i go looking for shots... said she wants to be my "assistant"

Cant even front... had me like :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil: :wow: :evil:

:lol: :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom