The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

how different are we talmbout?

warmer vs cooler is a issue i have. i have 2 monitors a phone and a tablet... they all looks SLIGHTLY different... ranging from cool to warm.

You can buy calibrators online for a about a hundred if its that serious

Amazon product ASIN B00UBSL2TO
u may also want to look into getting better displays... but thats expensive :lol:

It looked way cooler. I've edited photos from my computer and sent to my phone and it looked the same. This has to do with it being a RAW file i believe. I have to look into it more when I get home. I was editing at 2am and wondering if i was doing something wrong.

Speaking of calibrators, someone at the class had one of these things:

Shot it in front of the model and told me it was to fix the coloring in post. There is supposed to be this software that will edit it automatically to get the correct color. I literally never see this before.

never seen the color ones used, but i have used gray cards which is for lighting/metering

It looked way cooler. I've edited photos from my computer and sent to my phone and it looked the same. This has to do with it being a RAW file i believe. I have to look into it more when I get home. I was editing at 2am and wondering if i was doing something wrong.

Speaking of calibrators, someone at the class had one of these things:

Shot it in front of the model and told me it was to fix the coloring in post. There is supposed to be this software that will edit it automatically to get the correct color. I literally never see this before.

I use one. Color checker passport. It's great for white balance and color adjustments. it works with software that identifies the squares in the image and shifts them to what they are supposed to be. Between RAW, the camera you use, the lighting situation etc your colors get out of tune a bit and this will give you consistency.

So out of no where, I sort of accidentally accepted an offer to shoot a wedding. My friend that is a videographer has been doing decent with his gigs and asked me if I wanted to shoot a wedding along side him. At first I thought I'd be the second shooter but I must have been read his text wrong and the gig was meant for me to be the primary photographer at the event. This is literally my first paid gig and even my first wedding ever. So I am going to be posting a lot of questions from now till then.

First things first. I want to know if anyone recommends specific lenses or even camera bodies. I currently have a Mark 3 and a 24mm and 50mm but I just think it would be more versatile to shoot with a zoom instead. Since i am the only shooter, I can't really afford to be fiddling with swapping lenses mid shoot. I am looking to rent the 70-200mm and that should be good for the ceremony and what not but when it comes to the reception, I am thinking my 24mm should do the trick for the dancing portions. Any one else recommend anything? How many batteries do you think I need? I currently have two. I have to flashes. Do I need a defuser? Any help would be appreciated. Steezy & Rolo......drop some knowledge for me.

So out of no where, I sort of accidentally accepted an offer to shoot a wedding. My friend that is a videographer has been doing decent with his gigs and asked me if I wanted to shoot a wedding along side him. At first I thought I'd be the second shooter but I must have been read his text wrong and the gig was meant for me to be the primary photographer at the event. This is literally my first paid gig and even my first wedding ever. So I am going to be posting a lot of questions from now till then.

First things first. I want to know if anyone recommends specific lenses or even camera bodies. I currently have a Mark 3 and a 24mm and 50mm but I just think it would be more versatile to shoot with a zoom instead. Since i am the only shooter, I can't really afford to be fiddling with swapping lenses mid shoot. I am looking to rent the 70-200mm and that should be good for the ceremony and what not but when it comes to the reception, I am thinking my 24mm should do the trick for the dancing portions. Any one else recommend anything? How many batteries do you think I need? I currently have two. I have to flashes. Do I need a defuser? Any help would be appreciated. Steezy & Rolo......drop some knowledge for me.

So far i've second shot for 5 weddings and feel like im not even close to ready :rofl: Heres some VERY scattered thoughts

Bring all your storage devices.. :x . wouldnt hurt to have a 3rd battery.. .

Set up off camera flash... make the flash form a triangle between u and the subject... but dont make harsh lines from the flash coming in too sideways

NEVER EVER EVER EVER make the bride look overweight

have a shot list of poses for portraits

if you do a first look, PREPARE the groom by telling him which way to turn (towards your camera) regardless of what shoulder he gets tapped on

family formals will have 100 people telling u what to do... be kind and keep it moving unless the BRIDE interrupts your flow. Its the bride's day, not aunt sally's who is already 4 drinks down and aint seen the bride since she was 11.

Bring:
- WATER - Drink lots of water / stay hydrated
- Almonds, some other kind of nuts (pause), crackers, etc... u might be hungry or the bride...
- Tylenol, ib p, etc... bride might get a headache...
- Pads / tampons... obvious reasons
- Small coloring books / crayons for belligerent children

KEEP THE SCHEDULE MOVING

Pinterest is your best friend for shot ideas

Always pay attention to the outside of your frame during portraits... never cut off fingers, elbows, shoulders, etc.

Pay attention to your horizon lines... have lots of sky if applicable (will require you to shoot up from a low position... if the bride is not flattering, eff the horizon lines and make the bride look stunning)

Last edited:
^^^^^That's some good advice. Thanks for that. I am a little iffy on doing off flash shooting. I have never been consistent enough to rely on that type of setup. I almost think if I shoot hi ISO, I'll have a better turnout with photos, but honestly that isn't saying much. I was just going to use on flash for the dancing portion and keep that sucker on my hot shoe. I am definitely going to get more storage. I use mostly an eye-fi card for my normal shooting but I just bought a 32GB CF card and am going to get a 32GB SD card as well. I guess I'll get a hold of another battery as well.

What about the lens choices? What are you using?

On a side note, this is a paid gig but considering what people pay for on the market, they are getting me for super cheap. I mean I have no experience at all but I don't think my friend sold that part to the client. For the most part, they think they are getting a sweet deal for someone that has done weddings before. I wonder if my rate can justify me not producing great photos. Hate to even say that but I don't want the bride and groom yelling at me for getting them oh so good shots.

^^^^^That's some good advice. Thanks for that. I am a little iffy on doing off flash shooting. I have never been consistent enough to rely on that type of setup. I almost think if I shoot hi ISO, I'll have a better turnout with photos, but honestly that isn't saying much. I was just going to use on flash for the dancing portion and keep that sucker on my hot shoe. I am definitely going to get more storage. I use mostly an eye-fi card for my normal shooting but I just bought a 32GB CF card and am going to get a 32GB SD card as well. I guess I'll get a hold of another battery as well.

What about the lens choices? What are you using?

On a side note, this is a paid gig but considering what people pay for on the market, they are getting me for super cheap. I mean I have no experience at all but I don't think my friend sold that part to the client. For the most part, they think they are getting a sweet deal for someone that has done weddings before. I wonder if my rate can justify me not producing great photos. Hate to even say that but I don't want the bride and groom yelling at me for getting them oh so good shots.

As a second shooter, I alternate between a 50 prime, 17-50 f/2.8, and 55-200 f/4-5.6 (kit lens) and i currently shoot on a crop sensor nikon. Im currently saving for a 5d mk 2 or 3 depending on how patient i am.

The shooter i shoot with uses a 5d mk 3 primarily w/ 24-70 and 70-200 (both 2.8). She also has a 100mm macro, fisheye, and an armory of primes (all canon).

For you, you'd probably be best off w/ renting a 70-200 for portraits and formals.... that lens almost cant take a bad picture :wow: :lol: i love using the nikon one when ever i get the chance

Utilize your primes for detail shots

if you end up getting another zoom it should probably be the 24-70.

For portraits, feel free to utilize the 2.8... during the ceremony it'd probably be best to stop up to something with more give on the depth of field incase u miss the focus a bit.. probably 3.2 or 3.5.

sounds like u got a 5d mark 3... dont be too afraid to crank the ISO...

if u do shoot on camera flash, i recommend bouncing the lighting... PLEASE dont directly flash them. :x you can accomplish that with a cell phone.

^^^Thanks dude. I stated on a post on here before it got deleted but a lot of that had to do with the model, makeup and the lighting. I think almost everyone got the same type of shots regardless of the camera. My editing skills are a lot better than the older guys in my class. Most of what I saw from them seemed to be just some presets in lightroom.

I'll definitely get the 70-200mm and maybe the 24-70mm for rent. My local spot charges about $35 for each and for 3 days since it'll be the weekend. One thing I would love to get is a macro but considering, I am going to leave that for next time. I even have a back up Mark 2 that I haven't quite sold and can just have that as a second camera with a different lens on it. I guess I might need one of those damn straps. Geez this is getting expensive.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr

During the ceremony a long prime or 70-200 will definitely help if you are not allowed onto the alter/platform. You'd be able to shoot from the sides or aisle without being invasive. It also allows you to get closeups of people's expressions (bride, groom, parents, etc).

Outside of the ceremony, you probably won't need the long range any more (from my experience). A longer lens during the procession may get annoying if you find your shots are too narrow and you have to move around. I'd say go for a 24-70 in addition. That will cover a lot of the shots you need and cut down on cropping or missed shots. Just sit, lock and zoom when needed with the mid-range zoom.

Same thing with formal shots and the reception. The 24-70 can get you the wide shots you need and there shouldn't be an issue with you getting in close to your subjects. You can definitely substitute for your currents primes if you like their output better or need more light.

^^^Thanks dude. I stated on a post on here before it got deleted but a lot of that had to do with the model, makeup and the lighting. I think almost everyone got the same type of shots regardless of the camera. My editing skills are a lot better than the older guys in my class. Most of what I saw from them seemed to be just some presets in lightroom.

I'll definitely get the 70-200mm and maybe the 24-70mm for rent. My local spot charges about $35 for each and for 3 days since it'll be the weekend. One thing I would love to get is a macro but considering, I am going to leave that for next time. I even have a back up Mark 2 that I haven't quite sold and can just have that as a second camera with a different lens on it. I guess I might need one of those damn straps. Geez this is getting expensive.

Always have a 2nd body as a backup. Ive only done a couple of weddings, but my take.....

-find out where the ceremony & reception are being held and do some homework online. It never hurts to know about the venue (lighting, setup, etc)
-if possible speak to the bride/groom beforehand just to get an idea of whats expected of you.
-lots of memory cards.......(for my jobs I carried 3 64GB, all shot in RAW+JPEG)

Most important shots....
-kissing the bride
-the toast
-best man/maid of honor speeches
-scan the room in between and look for candid moments from people attending

Last edited:

It really depends on the type of shooter you are bro...but that's something you need to figure out on your own, for me personally I can and have shot entire weddings with the 24L and 50L exclusively....those two lenses cover ranges that are essential to documenting a wedding if you are not shy and know how to keep moving....the 24L covers 90% of my reception shots, the 50L would cover 90% of my portraits....I own a 70-200 and I rarely use it, maybe during the walk down the isle and to catch some facial expressions/tears...what you do need for sure is a second body and at least 3 batteries...2 flashes is great, IMO opinion...play up lose with what you got, get your hands on a second body and a 24-70LII instead of a 70-200L and if you have more room or budget or access land an 85L that lense is phenomenal....

^^^^^^I remember you saying that with using those two lenses. For some reason I feel like I have to rely on zooms even though I never shoot with. Because of the f-stop, I find it a little harder to use just cause they are slower.

-find out where the ceremony & reception are being held and do some homework online. It never hurts to know about the venue (lighting, setup, etc)

I definitely have to do this. I think scoping the place out would be a big help. Thanks for that.

Appreciate all the input guys. I think I have a firm grasp of where to start at least. Definitely need to get one more battery and 2 more CF cards. Even lock down the lenses for rent for that day.

It really depends on the type of shooter you are bro...but that's something you need to figure out on your own, for me personally I can and have shot entire weddings with the 24L and 50L exclusively....those two lenses cover ranges that are essential to documenting a wedding if you are not shy and know how to keep moving....the 24L covers 90% of my reception shots, the 50L would cover 90% of my portraits....I own a 70-200 and I rarely use it, maybe during the walk down the isle and to catch some facial expressions/tears...what you do need for sure is a second body and at least 3 batteries...2 flashes is great, IMO opinion...play up lose with what you got, get your hands on a second body and a 24-70LII instead of a 70-200L and if you have more room or budget or access land an 85L that lense is phenomenal....

50mm for 90% of your portraits?

Do you just use lightroom to fix any distortion on close up headshot type shots?

Or do u simply refrain from shots that will cause distortion at that focal length?

I did a portrait session with a 55mm and the photographer critiquing my work pointed out distortion and i've been overly self conscious of it ever since. :x :x

^^^^^^I remember you saying that with using those two lenses. For some reason I feel like I have to rely on zooms even though I never shoot with. Because of the f-stop, I find it a little harder to use just cause they are slower.

I definitely have to do this. I think scoping the place out would be a big help. Thanks for that.

Appreciate all the input guys. I think I have a firm grasp of where to start at least. Definitely need to get one more battery and 2 more CF cards. Even lock down the lenses for rent for that day.

finally realized u a sf native...i stay in the 707... i can second shoot for u at da wedding :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

just kidding brah... i wouldnt invite myself like that. :rofl: :rofl:

50mm for 90% of your portraits?

Do you just use lightroom to fix any distortion on close up headshot type shots?

Or do u simply refrain from shots that will cause distortion at that focal length?

I did a portrait session with a 55mm and the photographer critiquing my work pointed out distortion and i've been overly self conscious of it ever since. :x :x

That photographer that claimed distortion at 50mm is an idiot :rofl:

You barely get any distortion with a 35mm, you not gonna be dealing with distortion of any kind at 50mm bro...

Shot this with a 50mm

Back
Top Bottom