The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

4623523536_0d90be432d_b.jpg

4622919059_2c5ee14523_b.jpg

4619942279_204f32fd97_o.jpg

I have a DSLR.

I need a solid point and shoot. I want quality but not too bulky. Looking @ Canon's G Series but are there other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by johngotty

I have a DSLR.

I need a solid point and shoot. I want quality but not too bulky. Looking @ Canon's G Series but are there other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Canon S90

I have no idea where to start about digital cameras. I am going to purchase one for the first time EVER. Other then megapixels what else should I look for? My price range is $300 and under. Im looking to shoot mostly still shots but want the capability to catch moving things. Any suggestions or comments welcome. Much appreciated NT.

Here are some pics i recently took.

These are from memorial day weekend.

4656852718_846bbd71af.jpg
4656852390_9790a94489.jpg
4656306303_7bf705cd0e.jpg

here are some other pics
4658395037_79922897f7.jpg
4634005786_66ddab5182.jpg
4631115462_4044aa4d2a.jpg
4628777629_d58865e92f.jpg
4650944831_812620b9b3.jpg
4650944607_cafbb3be02.jpg

hope you guys enjoy

I tried to take pictures of some of my friends skating the other day and couldn't get anything good, I'm not really used to shooting people most of my stuff is just random objects. Every picture came out to be pretty much just a blur. I'm shooting with a stock d40 btw, does anyone take pictures at sporting events or of friends skating or doing anything sport related with their d40?

Originally Posted by jay kickz till i die

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

4614607362_370d082608_b.jpg

4613894686_d7cb45d6c3_b.jpg

is this the building from the last scene of 500 days of summer? looks familiar...anyways, i was bored, decided to edit some old photos. C&C welcome

Originally Posted by Wade187

I tried to take pictures of some of my friends skating the other day and couldn't get anything good, I'm not really used to shooting people most of my stuff is just random objects. Every picture came out to be pretty much just a blur. I'm shooting with a stock d40 btw, does anyone take pictures at sporting events or of friends skating or doing anything sport related with their d40?

You have to have a good fast lens and good lighting. A lot of the times, skate photographers use flash for their shots or shoot in the daylight. Any other situation, you are looking at getting some motion blur. Also it wouldn't hurt to jack up your ISO as well but it won't necessarily get you a good shot. I would say for now, shoot in the day light conditions cause if you go the flash route, it will cost you a lot of money.

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

Originally Posted by Wade187

are you using 'continuous' shooting mode?
Yeah I used continuous then I tried messing with the shutter speed. I think it's probably the lighting though like Fong said. I was shooting at night, and the only lighting was the street lights we were next to.

Just an FYI for you Nikon users out there. Doing all this research on my camera, it will be inevitable when you will get that crappy shutter ERR message on your screen after so many clicks. I have been doing the research, weighed my options and am going to fix the shutter through Nikon directly. It cost about estimated $200 with a 7 working day period to fix (we all know that is skeptical in the price and time but that is what they said). I wouldn't recommend doing this on entry level Nikons but it seems somewhat worth it to fix on my D90 just for even resell value wise. I would recommend 2 places:

Nikon USA Service and Repair

Nikon Camera and Repair (don't think this is officially related to Nikon and quote me a price of $259)

Trust me.....from googling this for the last 2 weeks, this will happen to ALL NIKON USERS in the long run. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you as soon as it did for me. I hope the D90 upgrade is worth the wait in the summer cause if not, I am getting the 7D.

Nas-Edit-1.jpg

And bonus film pic of Nas with my Canonet.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Just an FYI for you Nikon users out there. Doing all this research on my camera, it will be inevitable when you will get that crappy shutter ERR message on your screen after so many clicks. I have been doing the research, weighed my options and am going to fix the shutter through Nikon directly. It cost about estimated $200 with a 7 working day period to fix (we all know that is skeptical in the price and time but that is what they said). I wouldn't recommend doing this on entry level Nikons but it seems somewhat worth it to fix on my D90 just for even resell value wise. I would recommend 2 places:

Nikon USA Service and Repair

Nikon Camera and Repair (don't think this is officially related to Nikon and quote me a price of $259)

Trust me.....from googling this for the last 2 weeks, this will happen to ALL NIKON USERS in the long run. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you as soon as it did for me. I hope the D90 upgrade is worth the wait in the summer cause if not, I am getting the 7D.
How many clicks have you clocked on your D90? Is this an issue of the shutter reaching the end of it's cycle? I hope you know ALL cameras have limited shutter life and once reached, they will need to be replaced. The better the model the longer its life. If this is the case, then it's not just a Nikon problem...it's an issue for all cameras, of any brand.
Originally Posted by 23kidd

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by J SUPER

CC are appreciated
The whole thing looks out of focus
Exactly what i was gonna say.
It's not that it's out of focus. He took a hand-held shot with way too slow of a shutter speed (1.600s) due to the use of such a small aperture (f/29) and low ISO (400).

Suggestion: Set your camera to manual mode. Use a large aperture (small f-stop number), crank up the ISO (since it appears to be after sundown) and avoid using a shutter speed slower that the focal length that you're using. In your case, you had your lens on 35mm and since you're using a crop body, you take into account the crop factor and use a shutter speed no lower that 1/50 (1.5 x 35 = 52.5...so 50). You can go slower as you improve your steadiness but this is the basic guideline for the slowest suggested shutter speed you can use.

Back
Top Bottom