The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Hey Guys,

I just bought a canon DSLR and i'm wondering if the cheap SD cards are worth getting? (Sandisk class 10 vs. Joeschmoe class 10)

-i will be using the camera to film in HD and take photos. Thank you in advance.

I have a Nikon D40, currently the only lens I have is the stock one (18-55). However I am moving to Hawaii this summer and would really like to get a good second lens which will help me get some good photos. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

I have a Nikon D40, currently the only lens I have is the stock one (18-55). However I am moving to Hawaii this summer and would really like to get a good second lens which will help me get some good photos. Any ideas?
Budget?

Originally Posted by heatpinoyboy

Budget?
I'm a student, so nothing that is really expensive.
laugh.gif

So I am planning on becoming a freelance photographer. I have a D90 right now and I'm just wondering what lenses I should purchase. Should I upgrade my body or do that later? I just need advice on equipment.

Originally Posted by arsenalGUNNER1

So I am planning on becoming a freelance photographer. I have a D90 right now and I'm just wondering what lenses I should purchase. Should I upgrade my body or do that later? I just need advice on equipment.

If you plan to be a freelance photographer then you should already know all of this. Not to be a jerk but people who do this mess it up for everybody else in the business.
If you're going to charge for your pictures, make sure they are top quality. that way you can charge a high price and allow other photographers to charge the same.

What kind of freelance? that will depend on what lenses you need, whether it be lenses with fast aperatures of zoom lenses, all depends on what you're trying to do.

thekryptonite wrote:

On a crop body, the best lens is a 35mm 1.8. a 35 on a crop body like your d40 is technically a 50mm. and with a fast aperature of 1.8 you cant go wrong

Originally Posted by Clevereddie

Originally Posted by arsenalGUNNER1

If you plan to be a freelance photographer then you should already know all of this. Not to be a jerk but people who do this mess it up for everybody else in the business.
If you're going to charge for your pictures, make sure they are top quality. that way you can charge a high price and allow other photographers to charge the same.

What kind of freelance? that will depend on what lenses you need, whether it be lenses with fast aperatures of zoom lenses, all depends on what you're trying to do.
I'm not going to be starting up until I'm comfortable with my work. I have quality work but I know I need more time before I start charging. I just need advice on lenses since I've only been doing photography as a hobby and plan to make a career out of it sooner or later.

Damn man I thought we were going to head to the Emriates for an NT meetup when I was back over your way.
frown.gif

What part of Hawaii you staying at?

Originally Posted by trunks206

Damn man I thought we were going to head to the Emriates for an NT meetup when I was back over your way.
frown.gif

Being an Arsenal fan was too unbearable, I had to get as far away from North London as I could..
laugh.gif
but no seriously, it's only for a year and an NT meetup could still occur the next year.
pimp.gif

I will be living in Waikiki, have you been there before?

Originally Posted by 2morrowbegins2day

Hey Guys,

I just bought a canon DSLR and i'm wondering if the cheap SD cards are worth getting? (Sandisk class 10 vs. Joeschmoe class 10)

-i will be using the camera to film in HD and take photos. Thank you in advance.
some cheap SD cards cant write fast enough for filming so be careful.
I had a microSD card in an SD adapter and it would always stop recording after a few secs.

Just built myself a light tent, now I gotta get a cam. Looking at the t2i refurb or even a t3i new. I'm worried about buying refurb because that means something was wrong with it and im worried about buying used because there is no warranty. I want to take photos of merchandise in the light tent, and have it as an all around cam. anyone have a t2i/t3i? how do you like it? any recommendations? used/refurb worries? thanks in advance

Originally Posted by bns1201

Just built myself a light tent, now I gotta get a cam. Looking at the t2i refurb or even a t3i new. I'm worried about buying refurb because that means something was wrong with it and im worried about buying used because there is no warranty. I want to take photos of merchandise in the light tent, and have it as an all around cam. anyone have a t2i/t3i? how do you like it? any recommendations? used/refurb worries? thanks in advance
get it from authorized Canon dealer .... which means it's been fix and went through more testings so it doesn't come back. you can buy a warranty if your worried.

http://www.adorama.com/

frown.gif

Being an Arsenal fan was too unbearable, I had to get as far away from North London as I could..
laugh.gif
but no seriously, it's only for a year and an NT meetup could still occur the next year.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
yeah its been a tough year...so much for the treble
laugh.gif

Thats awesome that your going to be living in Wikiki and getting to experience a completely different way of life. Having spent time over there last summer, even though Seattle isnt by any means a fast paced city, compared to Honolulu, Seattle seems like New York or London in your case....it will fun. Learn to surf you'll have a blast!

Oh just a heads up Arsenal games range from about 4:30am (if its a super early weekend game) to 11:45am for CL here on the West Coast and Honolulu is 3 hours behind me so youre looking at game times between 1:30am to 8:45 am...hopefully youre an early bird.
laugh.gif

I'm going to hold you to that meet up for a later date though, but if I got the chance to live in Hawaii and its 80° /27C weather and peaceful island lifestyle for a year I'd be on the next flight out. If you dont mind me asking what are you headiing out there for?

Been avoiding picking up a 5d mk II in fear of an upgrade being released soon after (Apple Style). Rumors are all over the place and retail hasn't BUDGED on the price of the current model. I don't know what to do.

Some photos of my mom i took on Mothers Day
dsc3106a.jpg
dsc3109k.jpg

dsc3130c.jpg
dsc3112h.jpg

C&C PLEASE !

If anyone can help me remove the straw from infront of her dress in the last pic please let me know, I will DM you the OG

When using a adaptor (fisheye, wide angle, telephoto) is it true that the more you zoom in the circular edge around the outside of the frame will start to disappear?

frown.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
yeah its been a tough year...so much for the treble
laugh.gif

Thats awesome that your going to be living in Wikiki and getting to experience a completely different way of life. Having spent time over there last summer, even though Seattle isnt by any means a fast paced city, compared to Honolulu, Seattle seems like New York or London in your case....it will fun. Learn to surf you'll have a blast!

Oh just a heads up Arsenal games range from about 4:30am (if its a super early weekend game) to 11:45am for CL here on the West Coast and Honolulu is 3 hours behind me so youre looking at game times between 1:30am to 8:45 am...hopefully youre an early bird.
laugh.gif

I'm going to hold you to that meet up for a later date though, but if I got the chance to live in Hawaii and its 80° /27C weather and peaceful island lifestyle for a year I'd be on the next flight out. If you dont mind me asking what are you headiing out there for?
I didn't even think about Arsenal matches.. those times are insane.
eek.gif
Yeah hopefully I will surf out there. I have just realised that in London I barely use my camera as it's all so familiar and doesn't really inspire me to take photos.. i'm pretty sure it will be different for me out there, though.
pimp.gif

I will be studying at university over there, carrying on a business course.
happy.gif

Some Bay 2 Breakers stuff. I think the content is more interesting then my actual photo skills. Plus it's pretty hard drinking and taking nice photos at the same time. All these are pretty much candid to a certain extent.

bay-2-breakers-2.jpg

bay-2-breakers-3.jpg

bay-2-breakers-4.jpg

bay-2-breakers-5.jpg

bay-2-breakers-6.jpg

bay-2-breakers-7.jpg

bay-2-breakers-8.jpg

bay-2-breakers-10.jpg

bay-2-breakers-11.jpg

bay-2-breakers-13.jpg

bay-2-breakers-14.jpg

bay-2-breakers-15.jpg

bay-2-breakers-16.jpg

bay-2-breakers-18.jpg

bay-2-breakers-19.jpg

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Some Bay 2 Breakers stuff. I think the content is more interesting then my actual photo skills. Plus it's pretty hard drinking and taking nice photos at the same time. All these are pretty much candid to a certain extent.
Content is king in my opinion. Skill means very little if you have poor content

Originally Posted by 165kicks

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Content is king in my opinion. Skill means very little if you have poor content

Your right but these shots are whatever. I actually posted these on another forum and I am getting more crap for it because they are all getting how my pics are pretty much the same as far as the look goes. I guess I never really put it to mind but my shots are always oversaturated. I blamed it on because Nikon's default settings are vivid mode, but I should have seen this a long time ago. Also my sharpening has become out of wack as well but I mostly edit these pics on a old Powerbook G4 and the screen just doesn't show that much attention to detail.

Anyways, I am not as big into photography like I used to but I think my crap is getting pretty stagnant.

Back
Top Bottom