The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by TheEmperor45

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Borders and filters do not turn bad photographs into good photographs. Taking pictures on an angle does not make you a photographer.

what makes someone a photographer then? Answer this with no ego and superficial definitions.

Still learning.  I've been a lurker in this forum for years now, and this is my first post.

5429917179_4e4180494c.jpg

5374707298_6c3cd3d94b.jpg

5815889067_0bdd2455c1.jpg

5549509570_01853c8bb7.jpg

Originally Posted by bns1201

Borders and filters do not turn bad photographs into good photographs. Taking pictures on an angle does not make you a photographer.

what makes someone a photographer then? Answer this with no ego and superficial definitions.
I've thought about this a lot, seeing as to how everyone is a photographer as a hobbyist these days. Even apps like Instagram and Hipstamatic have contributed to this phenomenon.
I think the 5 points that make a good photographer are:

1) Proficient technical understanding of the camera (knowing how lighting, aperture, etc. work), composition, AND developing and/or post-processing programs.

2) Creativity in formulating a shot - whether directing models, capturing the right moments at the right times, a unique perspective on everyday scenery.

3) Rapidity.  Second-nature, instinctual photography that comes from innate talent and experience.

4) Consistency.  Developing an individual style that refines a particular look or emotion in one's photography.

5) Content.  This is perhaps most important of all these days.  Everyone has access to a camera, if they put their time into it, they can gain the rapidity, the consistency, and experience.  What sets images apart is the content of the photography.  That's derived from access to personalities, locations, rare moments, and the ingenuity to piece them all together. And do it over and over again.  Everyone can have a great shot, but can you do it 100 times a day for the next 5 decades?

Originally Posted by burstmode7d

Originally Posted by akuratl02

^^^^
laugh.gif
 I have seen that same guy w/ the beads coming home from work.  Were you on the 4 train by any chance?  This is way too erie.
laugh.gif
 nah man, I was on the E train, but I shot that a while back man!

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
 I take the E to 71st and continental ... I just had the wrong train, but still the right dude .. I take the 4 to Wall Street for work so thats why I had that notion in my head ... And funny thing is I was trying to read his lips while he was doing the bead thing ..

Note to self ::: Stop smoking during the week ..

the single most important thing about photography is knowing how to properly manage light, get this down to a science and everything else will easily fall into place, its kind of messed up how some of you are so quick to judge people who may not be as good and use filters and borders and overcook snapshots in order to turn them into some artistic photographs, being that these are the early beginnings to any self-taught photographer, if i didn't experiment with different filters, different crops, different PS options, angles, lighting techniques, i wouldn't know half of what i know now....its the process of learning which im sure we all went through and are still going through.

Originally Posted by burstmode7d

^^^^
laugh.gif
 I have seen that same guy w/ the beads coming home from work.  Were you on the 4 train by any chance?  This is way too erie.
laugh.gif
 nah man, I was on the E train, but I shot that a while back man!

laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
 I take the E to 71st and continental ... I just had the wrong train, but still the right dude .. I take the 4 to Wall Street for work so thats why I had that notion in my head ... And funny thing is I was trying to read his lips while he was doing the bead thing ..

Note to self ::: Stop smoking during the week ..

Yeah man, that's where I saw him! I switched from the F to the E at 71st!  
I swear, he knew I was taking his picture! But he didn't mind...or else them beads would've been around my neck! 

Anyway, some Toys:

Originally Posted by ksteezy

the single most important thing about photography is knowing how to properly manage light, get this down to a science and everything else will easily fall into place, its kind of messed up how some of you are so quick to judge people who may not be as good and use filters and borders and overcook snapshots in order to turn them into some artistic photographs, being that these are the early beginnings to any self-taught photographer, if i didn't experiment with different filters, different crops, different PS options, angles, lighting techniques, i wouldn't know half of what i know now....its the process of learning which im sure we all went through and are still going through.
Preach homie. Nice shots on the other page BTW. You got a Flickr by any chance?

Originally Posted by i rock jordanz

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Preach homie. Nice shots on the other page BTW. You got a Flickr by any chance?
thanks bro, here is my flickr, although i mostly use it for WDYWT pics lately
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23156579@N07/

here is my professional photography blog though

www.elkincardonaphotography.com/blog

check it out when you are bored
happy.gif

Originally Posted by JRHodges11

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

grin.gif

You would think I never tried that.

Lol I just have been burning to use that havent had a good chance to use it lately...hope you found exactly what you were looking for
I can't seem to find it but what I'm looking for is a DIY tutorial on how to make an all white background with butcher paper and such.

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

I've thought about this a lot, seeing as to how everyone is a photographer as a hobbyist these days. Even apps like Instagram and Hipstamatic have contributed to this phenomenon.
I think the 5 points that make a good photographer are:

1) Proficient technical understanding of the camera (knowing how lighting, aperture, etc. work), composition, AND developing and/or post-processing programs.

2) Creativity in formulating a shot - whether directing models, capturing the right moments at the right times, a unique perspective on everyday scenery.

3) Rapidity.  Second-nature, instinctual photography that comes from innate talent and experience.

4) Consistency.  Developing an individual style that refines a particular look or emotion in one's photography.

5) Content.  This is perhaps most important of all these days.  Everyone has access to a camera, if they put their time into it, they can gain the rapidity, the consistency, and experience.  What sets images apart is the content of the photography.  That's derived from access to personalities, locations, rare moments, and the ingenuity to piece them all together. And do it over and over again.  Everyone can have a great shot, but can you do it 100 times a day for the next 5 decades?
QFT.  Thanks, B.

Hey guys, I wanted to get a camera. What would you guys recommend? My budget is around $700. Is it possible to buy a nice camera in that price range?

Any 5D Mark II shooters out there want to trade bodies for a 1Ds Mark II?

I want to start shooting video and don't need the rugged body or higher frame rate that I thought I would now
since I primarily focus on shooting in a studio/lighted setting rather than just on-the-go shooting now.

I've been lurkin this thread for months now and I haven't had the "courage" to post my pics because some of you guys are amazing. I've been shooting for a couple months and I'm looking for some constructive criticism. If you guys could give me some that would be amazing. 

Flickr 

Back
Top Bottom