The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

caturday-3.jpg

caturday-4.jpg

caturday-5.jpg

Sup NT photographers,
first of all, this thread is really inspiring. Been a fan of this thread, for a long time even though I don't own a camera myself. Keep up the good work.
However, I believe it's time for me to make that big step, in finally purchasing my very first camera.
I need some advice...

Bestbuy is offering a father's day deal:

Nikon D3100
55-200mm AF-S DX Telephoto Lens
8GB SDHC Card
and the 18-55mm lens is included as well.
for $799 (CDN)

Good deal? or keep searching?

Need some pointers....

Doing a favor for a friend this weekend who is opening up for Miguel and shooting some video and pics of a show. Not very experienced in video and wanted some recommendations on a good lens to rent. I will have backstage and frontstage access so I will be close and don't need a telephoto. I will be shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II. Any other recommendations and pointer would be appreciated.

Is it going to be in a low light setting? With a tripod? I'd imagine a 24-70 will be a good start to go from wide to medium range and a constant 2.8 even for low light.

I have a Canon t2i I have the reg lens that came with the kit but looking to upgrade to a good all around lens that also has zoom any recomendations I mostly shoot kix my kids,outdoors,animals

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

Sup NT photographers,
first of all, this thread is really inspiring. Been a fan of this thread, for a long time even though I don't own a camera myself. Keep up the good work.
However, I believe it's time for me to make that big step, in finally purchasing my very first camera.
I need some advice...

Bestbuy is offering a father's day deal:

Nikon D3100
55-200mm AF-S DX Telephoto Lens
8GB SDHC Card
and the 18-55mm lens is included as well.
for $799 (CDN)

Good deal? or keep searching?

I honestly don't know the price market for the D3100 but honestly, I doubt you will use the telephoto at all. I just don't think people shoot like that no more unless you are bird watching or always feel compelled to stay stationary in where ever you shoot. If any, the deal might be good if you can profit from selling the telephoto lens and use the money towards something else. Honestly, I would just get the kit or just the body and save the money to get a solid prime or a better zoom lens that is more universal in shooting both wide and far. The D3100 kit and 50mm or 35mm prime lens is a good start if you have the money for it all.

Originally Posted by reigillm

any tips/guide to sharpen photos thru photoshop?

Just use the sharpen filter. I like using "smart sharpen". I've only started sharpening my pics in the last couple of years or so. Since this is for web use, I usually have the radius at 0.3 and then have the amount at anywhere from 150-200, depending on the photo. With the radius being so small, the sharpness should have a small amount of grain and the photo should just clear up for the most part. As most photoshop tools, it should be used to compliment your photo, so shoot a good photo first and then use this accordingly.

smart_sharpen.jpg

Also don't take my word it sharpening pics for web looks better because I have yet to think it is a real good look for my photos.

Photo Contest soon!  Win a Retro Iphone 4 Case!!!

2rhwlc3.jpg

Just "like" my FB page (see link below).  Photo Contest / Theme will start soon!  Thanks NT!!

Originally Posted by BaYBoSs

I have a Canon t2i I have the reg lens that came with the kit but looking to upgrade to a good all around lens that also has zoom any recomendations I mostly shoot kix my kids,outdoors,animals

I recommend the Canon 17-55 EFS 2.8.  It is pricey, at $1,100, but I think it's the best overall lens for your camera.  It is an IS (Image Stabilizer) lens and is great for video.  Canon's website sells the refurbished lens for $943.  I have used this lens with my Canon XS and 7D.

Originally Posted by TheEmperor45

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Borders and filters do not turn bad photographs into good photographs. Taking pictures on an angle does not make you a photographer.

what makes someone a photographer then? Answer this with no ego and superficial definitions.
i would say understanding light, and how to adapt to their conditions to take a picture 

Back
Top Bottom